Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:53 pm 
Total Newbie

Due to disconnecting the power of a Terastation, the system now reports several things. On the station's webinterface there are only three menues left (home, User Management and Printer setup). On the Home page there is stated that all disks are unformated, but if you klick on one of them you dont't have the rights to access it.
The LEDs 'Status full' are all red, the access LEDs are blinking as the diag LED which is blinking continously.
When I use the client utility all disks are reported wit a capacity of 0,4GB with 100% full.
I connected the disk cage to an Mac G4 and was able to get access to the first disk. As I found out, the system wrote information meant for an USB disk to the OS partition. I deleted some of that stuff and now I have about 24MB free (before there was only 150kb left).
Because there was no backup of the data on the raid (5) I must find a way to get access to these files.
anyone any idea?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:34 pm 

That is unlucky - my teraStation's have survived many powercuts without problems, although I must admit I have now connected them to a cheap UPS just to avoid the 5 hour start-up delay after a failure while the disks are checked.

The big question is whether your disk partitions are intact or not. To find out and in terms of getting your data off, you need to connect the disks to a system that supports the Linux Raid system. Normally another Linux system will do the job.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:33 am 
Total Newbie

I hope that the partitions are ok. In the moment I have only one USB-IDE cable, so I just connected the first disk for now. This works fine and I am able to move around the partition, though the root folder for example is marked with a red cross and is unaccessible. I think the power failure killed the OS somehow. Really strange is the webinterface with only the three menues left.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:56 am 
Total Newbie

I finally managed to get my data out of the box. I attached the drives with 4 USB>IDE cables to a Mac G4, used a live Ubuntu CD and the raids were recognized at once:

md0 1 drive 8of four) 3 spare
md1 raid not clean - reconstructed in the background

LVM started
Enterprise Volume Management System

After that I was able to mount md1 (though it took some time)
Since the Mac has only USB 1.1 I am copying data for days now. but it worked.
Seems as if the raid 1 on md0 has gone.