Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:08 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:18 pm 

Hacked the TS Pro with the firmware here http://homepage.ntlworld.com/itimpi/buffalo.htm

I am trying to do a thorough backup using dd and sfdisk. I can use dd if=/dev/md0 | netcat-nc host 12000 to pipe the copy to a file waiting on the host.

I am also trying to make a backup of the master boot record and the partition table but when I run

]$ sfdisk -d /dev/md0 > md0-partition.table

sfdisk: ERROR: sector 0 does not have an msdos signature
/dev/md0: unrecognized partition table type
No partitions found

I am new to using a ppc system, so can someone tell me how to get the partition table so I can back it up?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:27 am 

The issues is /dev/md0 is not a physical device - but a logical device representing the RAID0 array as a file system. That is why it does not have a partition table.

Underlying that will be the physical devices /dev/hda, /dev/hdc, /dev/hde and /dev/hdg. These will have partition tables with /dev/md0 being mapped to use the first partition on each drive. As it is a RAID0 array all 4 drives will have identical data.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:17 pm 

itimpi wrote:
The issues is /dev/md0 is not a physical device - but a logical device representing the RAID0 array as a file system. That is why it does not have a partition table.

Underlying that will be the physical devices /dev/hda, /dev/hdc, /dev/hde and /dev/hdg. These will have partition tables with /dev/md0 being mapped to use the first partition on each drive. As it is a RAID0 array all 4 drives will have identical data.

Thanks for the information. When I do a

..# df -aT

I don't see any /dev/hd* devices, only /dev/md0 and /dev/md1. If I want to copy the partition table of the /dev/hd* devices, how can I do that if they don't show up? Is there a command to let me see those devices? Can I just assume that the devices are as you named them: /dev/hda, /dev/hdc, /dev/hde and /dev/hdg?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:04 pm 

You will not see the /dev/hd? type devices via a df command as they are not mounted directly. They are instead handled via the 'md' device driver.

If you create a /initrd folder on your TeraStation and reboot, then the initial ram disk (loaded from flash) will be left mounted at that point. This can allow you to look at the linuxrc script on that ram disk, and in that you can see the 'mdadm' commands that result in the raid arrays being bought online.

The names I gave are correct for the IDE based PPC TeraStations, so you can just assume they are correct if you want. If you want to look at the partition layout, then you can try using
mfdisk -c /dev/hda
and then use the 'p' option to show the current settings. Make sure,however, that you do not make any changes to the settings.