I did nothing obviously wrong, but lost the lot.. in this case family videos and pics - lots of them.
I have a big investment in Buffalo storage, with two Terrastation IIIs presenting ~6TB of storage each.
They are both configured as RAID5 arrays and both running fw 1.59.
The first is my primary storage array (HS1), which I use every day. The second (HS2) is only for backups of the primary. I have a daily backup and a monthly backup.
Every day I would get backup completion emails and every so often, I would check the second array to see if the backups looked healthy.
All was well for months/years, until...
- I had a disk fail in the primary array (HS1). Not a major problem, it continued in degraded mode and I had a spare disk ready for such an event.
- With hindsight, may be not such a good idea, but I decided to hot-swap the failed disk
- As soon as I inserted the new disk, a second disk failed, so HS1 was toast. May be I should have shutdown the array, but just left it running with two failed disks
- I had the backup array (HS2) and gave it a quick check... all is well - the daily and monthly backups were there and safe
- The next morning, I decided to take a copy of HS2 (just in case)... but found that the daily back folder was empty, not a single file in the _backup1 folder!
- The monthly backup folder was fine so started to copy some of the data to a safe place
- A week passed before I got back to copying data, only to find the monthly folder was now also empty (like the daily folder)
- So not my $x,000 home storage solution had completely failed me - all data gone
- It then occurred to me, that the vanishing backup data coincided with the daily and monthly backup jobs, which were still running on HS1 - could they be overwriting my backup folders with "nothing" (could this have happened?)
Both daily and monthly backup jobs were set to "Overwrite backup (Append Backup)", which was a mistake I think
The trashbox is empty on the backup array.
Have a really lost everything?
I am certain that the backup jobs on HS1 (with the failed array) were the cause of the loss of backup data - which i'm kind of angry about (Buffalo?)
With hindsight, I guess I made a few mistakes as well.
Where do I go from here? Suggestions welcome?