Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 10:37 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:25 pm 

Hey folks,
i just picked up a refurb LS Live. i have a couple of terastations at work, and have hacked them before for NFS (they only supported smb out of the box) and NIS client/ypbind, etc. Currently the goal for my linkstation is to build a mythbackend on it. (we'll see if it can do HD, but at least one user on here confirms he can do SD through DVB-T).

in any case, i have some questions to get started. first of all, which distribution do you guys recommend, and which distribution supports the latest kernel. i need the kernel to be as up to date as possible so that i can easily installed the DVB/v4l drivers. for ARM9 related distributions, i see that there are following choices: http://buffalo.nas-central.org/download ... ributions/

do you guys recommend genlink over freelink? (i'm a unix admin for 10+ years and DON'T care about package management i.e. .deb or .rpm or blah blah). i am used to the good ole way of downloading the tarball and doing a configure and make make install sequence.

i don't mind loosing the buffalo webui, etc. don't care much for it. let me know what my options are as far as the latest distro and the most popular distro.

thanks,
Desidude

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:43 am 

ok, so one way or the other ;-) i managed to get genlink load. i used an unusual approach of rsync'ing everything over ssh from my linux box. it worked though, so i'm okay.

i now have GenLink rootfs and boot images loaded from here:
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/download ... s/Genlink/

only question i have now is that when i do a uname -a right now, i get:

Code:
 GenLSPro ~ # uname -a
Linux GenLSPro 2.6.22 #1 Wed Sep 26 07:58:03 CEST 2007 armv5tejl ARM926EJ-S rev 0 (v5l) MV-88fxx81 GNU/Linux

but i noticed that there is also kernel modules for another newer kernel under /lib/modules.
specifically, 2.6.26-gentoo kernel:

Code:
GenLSPro ~ # cd /lib/modules
GenLSPro modules # ls
2.6.22  2.6.26-gentoo-orion5x

now my question is, how do i move up from 2.6.22 to 2.6.26-gentoo kernel. i'm used to the slackware way of doing thing where you just have compressed /vmlinuz at the top level.

also, why does file on initrd show it's a PPC image (whereas i have an arm core, lol) ;-) or is that just a generic interpretation for the "file" command when it comes to initrd and uImage headers?

Code:
GenLSPro boot # file initrd.buffalo uImage.buffalo 
initrd.buffalo: u-boot/PPCBoot image
uImage.buffalo: u-boot/PPCBoot image