Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:49 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:28 am 
Total Newbie

Hi. Just like many other people, I recently acquired a Buffalo HS-DH500GL and found the 500GB of storage wasn't enough.
I tried upgrading the hard drive with a 2TB hard drive and have failed.
I was hoping I'd be able to use Clonezilla to clone the 500GB drive, restore it on the 2TB drive and then use Gnome PE to expand the needed partition.
Well the needed partition is XFS which I found out the hard way cannot be expanded.
On top of that, the XFS partition that is 4XXGB is "inside" another section and the 1.5TB of empty space is on its own. Deleting the 4XXGB partition essentially makes 4XXGB in unallocated space "inside" of a section with 1.5TB unallocated space outside. Now sure how to explain it but the end result was that I was unsuccessful.
Can someone tell me if it is even possible to use Clonezilla and Gnome PE to accomplish this?
If not, can someone please work with me via this forum to walk me through the process of using the EM mode to flash the replacement hard drive so I can start from scratch?
I believe I have all of the needed software and have tried the methods read online (TFTP32, changing the IP on my machine to 192.168.11.1, connect the box directly to the computer via Ethernet etc) but also failed.
The 500GB drive is still in tact if that helps at all.
Any help would really be appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:48 pm 

Quote:
So connect these to SATA cables on your PC. If in any doubt disconnect other drives, but leave a CD or DVD drive connected, so you can boot from it.6) Insert the Hirens Boot CD you created earlier and boot onto it.7) From the initial menu choose Mini Linux8) From the Applications Menu, Choose Partitioning Tools, and select G4L (Ghost 4 Linux)9) Select RAW mode, select source drive (obviously the smallest), select the target (obviously the largest), the click clone - now wait (about 2 hours).10) Reboot the PC when finished, and boot back onto the Hirens Boot CD, and Mini Linux.11) Now choose gParted from the same menu.12) Resize the Extended Partition, then resize the XFS partition in there. Apply and wait (about 10 minutes).13) Put the new disk back in the caddy. Screw it all back together, and enjoy the 1.5Tb of extra space! :smileyvery-happy:

from
http://forums.buffalotech.com/index.php?topic=2156.5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:09 pm 
Total Newbie

Thanks guy!!