Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:54 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:40 am 
Total Newbie

Hello!

Recently I bought a Buffalo HS-DHGL series case (model HS-DH500GL, S/N 99883480407071G) at a secondhand store, without a HDD inside. Now I try to get it running, but so far have no success at all.

As for me, I am an experienced PC- and Windows user, but have hardly any experience with Linux and find it hard to work with command line procedures, except I get detailed step-by-step instructions.

I have downloaded all relevant software for this model from Buffalo (CD-image for software installation, Firmware update LSUpdater, File Security Tool, NAS Navigator 2.8, TFTP Boot Recovery, manual).

Now I got a 2TB HDD from Western Digital. It is in MBR filesystem modus, but unformatted and without any partitions. That's how I read it should be to be used inside this NAS. But when I put it into the NAS and power it on (connected to my network), it only sends beeps, the green Power LED flashes permanently, and the red Error LED flashes 6 times in a row (= no HDD found). Buffalo NAS Navigator does not find any NAS. After a while the NAS shuts down after beeping again.

I have read some posts about formatting with TFTP Boot recovery, but I just don't get along with it.

Is there someone patient enough to explain to me how to proceed, step by step? I'd be very grateful! (A link to existing instructions would do as well.)

Kind regards
Winfried

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 4:39 pm 

You have to start a emergency system with tftp.
the you can flash a new firmware

you do not need linux
use tftpd32 for windows

my german howto (all files there ar for kirkwood oand not for your old box! use your tftp)
http://forum.nas-hilfe.de/buffalo-technology-nas-anleitungen/anleitung-tftp-und-firmware-flashen-mit-bildern-t903.html

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:02 pm 
Total Newbie

Hello, oxygen8

Thanks for the quick reply. I will try your instructions one of the next days, will tell you then how it worked.

Thanks and regards
Winfried

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:31 am 
Total Newbie

Hello, oxygen8

Today I tried to work through your instructions. I got until step 5 ("Linkstation anschalten und warten bis sie rot blinkt (E06)"). But then in step 6 I could not find a function button at my HD-DHGL NAS. It only has the power button in front and a "RESET"-button at the back. I tried both buttons in changing combinations but with no effect whatsoever. And the manual does not say anything about it either.

Could you perhaps tell me, please, how to trigger the function button process at my device?

Thanks and regards
Winfried

P.S.: Would you prefer to change to German, since I am German myself?

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:49 pm 
Total Newbie

Hello again

Problem is solved: Somewhere I found the hint to connect the NAS directly to the ethernet port of the PC. I made your steps 1 to 5, connected the NAS to my PC ethernet port, and what happened: LSUpdater found the device, formatted it and installed the latest firmware. And now it works...

Thanks anyway!
Kind regards, Winfried