So if I do not update kernel, initrd and boot are there any disadvantages? Can I use my box in the same way I could use a fully flashed Linkstation Pro?
Maybe anybody has a more detailed description? I am a little bit afraid of updating because of all the reports about bricked boxes.
Here's the summary
1. Download freelink
2. Download stock firmware for linkstation live
3. unzip both files
4. Copy the 3 files linkstation_version, lsupdater, LSUpdater from linkstation live stock firmware into freelink and replace the existing files ther. The updater come with freelink is for LS-Pro. It won't be able to find Linkstation Live.
5. Run the updater, right click on the updater window's title and select debug in the popup menu
6. In the debug menu, uncheck everything except rootfs under Update section.
7. Click on update to flash the firmware.
************* Don't ever try to update initrd and boot. It will brick you linkstation live version 2. *******
Updating Kernel with a wrong version will also brick your linkstation.