Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:06 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:41 pm 
Site Admin

togeis, setup an tftp-server (i use http://www.solarwinds.com/products/freetools/ ...but it requires registration) and serve the uImage.buffalo + initrd.buffalo on the static ip 192.168.11.1

your box will bott normally then.

so...your box is only semi-bricked.....you can use it.

we need to find the problem. i already wrote joergl about the situation.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:27 pm 

Hi mindbender,

thanks for your (try to) help.

I have downloaded the SolarWinds TFTP Server and served the two files.
I used the files from the downloaded firmware (renamed initrd.img to initrd.buffalo) and i used the files from http://buffalo.nas-central.org/download/Users/kaiten/ls-live/lslive-boot.tgz.

But the LS doesn't request them. My Notebook has the static IP 192.168.11.1.
There is no firewall and the LS is connected with a cross-over cable.

I recognized, when i start the LS and hold the red Reset-Button, it will start with an other sound. Also the Power-LED ist not blinking any more and the LS does not indicate a Error or beeps after 4 minutes. BUt i still cannot reach it.

I also tried to use the TFTP-Server with the Reset-Button "trick". ... no better result...

The Serial-Port problem:
I think, the "new" hardwarelayout leads to an new serial protokol?? I am wondering why there is a hole at the bottom of the LS with access to a serial connector. Is it a "Service-Port" for the Buffalo Tech-Support?
It transmits something, when powering on the LS, but i still cannot "decrypt" it.
Does the other LSs have such a hole with direct access to the serial port?

Ciao
Togeis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:56 am 
Site Admin

regarding serial port: yes!

http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/Ad ... inkstation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:31 pm 

Can you help me identify if I have the newer or the older hardware (I got this LS Live 500 last week and have sucessfully flashed it with the 2.06 firmware from Buffalo (seems to be available only on the European dl site, not e.g. the US one))?

My /boot folder contains the following:

root@BUFFALO:/boot# ls -al
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 1024 Aug 20 14:28 .
drwxr-xr-x 17 root root 4096 Aug 20 14:28 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 31396 Aug 20 14:27 conf_save.tgz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4405137 Jun 12 11:37 initrd.buffalo
drwx------ 2 root root 12288 Jul 27 08:59 lost+found
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1791012 Aug 16 18:33 uImage.buffalo

Can I install jtymod per the instructions here (viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3392) on my hardware?

Last edited by mstendah on Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:38 pm 

I guess that if you have the new LS, the 2.06 firmware should had kill the box (wrong?).

The current content of your /boot refer to 2.06.

Open your box and compare with kuro box pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:43 pm 

Any other way of confiming this?

If I have the new one, should I not attempt to use jtymod or other firmware from here on this LS?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:50 pm 

Looking inside further confirms that I also have the new hardware.

I suppose I should stop here and not try jtymod or any other firmware for now. Right?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:04 pm 

Opening the box is safer than applying a beta or any firmware… Well done, it does not break the warranty (there are no seals on ls).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:06 pm 

Yep, except that I would have liked to flash it in order to get it connected to my Active Direcotry, and now I don't know if there is any way of doing that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:07 pm 
Site Admin

mstendah, at first i recommend to open your box. next i recommend to backup everything on the first partition by enabling telnet via acp_commander, then copy the files in /boot to a samba share....

cd /boot
cp * /mnt/disk1/share

and then copy them over to your workstation. then you have everything to restore the box again to its initial state if you run into any problems.

but you might read the news, if you have a new LS Live you should not try any firmware for now.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:17 pm 

ok, I'll wait for now and look forward to reading great news from you guys on this forum soon. I'm sure glad I found this forum!

Thanx!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:58 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, let's get some things clear. :-)

First, mindbender mentioned a file called uboot.buffalo being stored in /dev/sda1. Well, that is actually the u-boot binary itself. In the stock firmwares, /boot was used to store backups of the updated files, i.e. hddrootfs.tgz, image.zip, etc. The problem was, that it had problems when trying to update, because there would not be enough free space in /boot, hence why we now suggest people use the alternative initrd before updating any firmware (the initrd clears the backups in boot to make room for the update). That said, uboot.buffalo was on the lspro, too. It serves no purpose in /boot other than a backup. :)

Now, it was also mentioned that u-boot is being called TINY. That is not suspicious. TINY means that the binary is compiled with a config for a 256kb binary rather than the standard 512 binary. That's all. :) The original u-boot on the lspro, was a "TINY" version as well. This information is actually noted in the source code documentation. I currently have the same version of u-boot for the "new" ls live, running on my lspro, and it is the TINY version. :-P

Note though, there is an important issue with the different uboots (which is very stupid in my opinion). Each u-boot contains a function that holds the product id for the box. The product ids are obviously different for the LS Pro, Kuro Pro, and LS Live. In the original kernel, the microctrlv2 would check the product id reported by u-boot to verify the setup. This has been somewhat circumvented now in the custom kernels.

However, the schema for checking product ids seems to be enhanced with the stock 2.6.16 version of the firmware.

That said, here's my thought on what is happening"

1) For the old arm9 boxes, buffalo never released an updated u-boot publicly, therefore, u-boot never needed to be updated, thus we did not have any flashing problems. Nothing actually got "flashed" when the updates were performed ... flash meaning writing to the on board flash chip ... as u-boot is the only thing that resides in flash (kuropro ... different story).

2) The newer ls / lives actually contained a newer u-boot, and therefore, users trying to flash different firmware actually ran into problems, because the updater detected a different u-boot and attempted to update the u-boot, to which the on-board updater rejected, and thus borked the boxes.

What can be done about that:

Well, a standard u-boot would be nice. The codebase for each uboot for the TSPv2, LSPro, LSLive, Kuro Pro is the same, so we need to standardize u-boot, and make it truly generic.

Current situation: just remove the darn u-boots from the updater packages, and use the debug-method of updating, selecting that "boot" not be updated.

Hope this helps guys.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:48 pm 
Developer

jonli447 wrote:
Current situation: just remove the darn u-boots from the updater packages, and use the debug-method of updating, selecting that "boot" not be updated.
:up: This worked for me.. Does anyone else want to try?

LS-H120LAN(PPC) - Dev (foonas)
LS-H120LAN(PPC) - Freelink - 2.6.23.8
LS-H250LAN(MIPS) - Dev (foonas-em, foonas)
LS-HS400DGL(PPC) - Freelink
Thecus N1200 - Ubuntu 8.10

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:12 pm 
Developer

Can we keep this on topic please?

LS-H120LAN(PPC) - Dev (foonas)
LS-H120LAN(PPC) - Freelink - 2.6.23.8
LS-H250LAN(MIPS) - Dev (foonas-em, foonas)
LS-HS400DGL(PPC) - Freelink
Thecus N1200 - Ubuntu 8.10

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:03 pm 

I have downloaded the HS-DHGL_203_002_us Firmware from the german buffalo website. In this package there is a u-boot.buffalo.updated.

In the lsupdater.ini the Debug Mode is set by default!
And thats the problem, you think? In combination with the new u-boot?

So when a "normal" User looks at the buffalo website an sees :"Wow, a new firmware with new features...." and tries to install this firmware, it will brick his LS?
Like it did to mine!!

Why has Buffalo not tested the firmware??

The only way to get the new firmware, without bricking your LS, is to deselect the u-boot Update in the (by default set) Debug Mode?
Uhhhaaa, very tricky for a "normal" user, not knowing about this forum and the Debug Mode !!

I am a "little" bit angry about Buffalo.

OK, it may be my fault, thinking the downloadable original firmware would be easy and safe to install...

Questions:
Is it possilbe to "downgrade" a freelinked LS to a stock firmware? And how? Any risks?
Is using the ACP-Commander the safer way to get telnet/ssh access on the LS Live?

Does the ACP-Commander work for the new Hardware (u-boot) of the LS Live?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next