Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:38 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:28 am 
Total Newbie

OK..... I have bricked my LSLive (hardware version 2) twice now. Both times I have been able to unbrick it by:
1. connecting the drive to a linux box and updating the boot_options to force EM mode. (only way I could get into EM mode)
2. Then using tftp server to serve the unziped files from 2.06-0.13
3. Then finally reflashing 2.06-0.13 with the standard LSUpdater for it.

So this is where my LS Live stands now.

On my previous attempt to load freelink via debug mode with rootfs only, it seemed to work a bit as I was able to get into it with telnet (not ssh) after using acp commander on it. Anyway, whatever I did bricked it again.... but as I said above I have now recovered it again to Buffalo 2.06-0.13.

My goal is to get slimserver to run on the box so any OS is ok for me to use. Anyone have good instructions to get there on a version 2 HW from where I am now? First step is for me to get an OS on with SSH access and the right partition sizes to load slimserver. Any help is appreciated !!!

Cheers,
Blog

PS as you can probably tell I am a newbie at this, but willing to give it a go!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:56 am 

Thanks for this summary!

So if I do not update kernel, initrd and boot are there any disadvantages? Can I use my box in the same way I could use a fully flashed Linkstation Pro?

weikai wrote:
tentacle wrote:
Maybe anybody has a more detailed description? I am a little bit afraid of updating because of all the reports about bricked boxes. :?

Here's the summary

1. Download freelink
2. Download stock firmware for linkstation live
3. unzip both files
4. Copy the 3 files linkstation_version, lsupdater, LSUpdater from linkstation live stock firmware into freelink and replace the existing files ther. The updater come with freelink is for LS-Pro. It won't be able to find Linkstation Live.
5. Run the updater, right click on the updater window's title and select debug in the popup menu
6. In the debug menu, uncheck everything except rootfs under Update section.
7. Click on update to flash the firmware.

************* Don't ever try to update initrd and boot. It will brick you linkstation live version 2. *******
Updating Kernel with a wrong version will also brick your linkstation.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:07 am 

Freelink will run as usual. Actually, Kernel will be updated even you just choose to update rootfs.

Initrd contains uboot and the code for emegency mode, so it doesn't effect freelink once it's booted.

tentacle wrote:
Thanks for this summary!

So if I do not update kernel, initrd and boot are there any disadvantages? Can I use my box in the same way I could use a fully flashed Linkstation Pro?

weikai wrote:
tentacle wrote:
Maybe anybody has a more detailed description? I am a little bit afraid of updating because of all the reports about bricked boxes. :?

Here's the summary

1. Download freelink
3. unzip both files
4. Copy the 3 files linkstation_version, lsupdater, LSUpdater from linkstation live stock firmware into freelink and replace the existing files ther. The updater come with freelink is for LS-Pro. It won't be able to find Linkstation Live.
5. Run the updater, right click on the updater window's title and select debug in the popup menu

************* Don't ever try to update initrd and boot. It will brick you linkstation live version 2. *******

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:05 pm 
Total Newbie

Hello,

my original comment (see below) is obsolete at least from my point.
I managed to do what I originally wanted (enable telnet, ssh and rsync) on a Linkstation Live with new HW by following the instructions from: http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/Open_Stock_Firmware

Best reagards,

Oliver

Quote:
Hello,

I tried to unstall thejtymod immage from http://buffalo.nas-central.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1743 on a LS Live with new HW.

First without reading this thread. -> I bricked the box. ( 4 times red light E04 - flash error )
And sucessfully recoverd the box by the following manual http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/Revive_your_arm9_box_from_scratch

Then I have read this thread and did it again.

This time I had more success the box started and replies on a ping. But an portscan (nmap) didn't show any open port and the web interface was not reachable.

So I recoverd again with the orignal buffalo firmware 2.10 from US homepage. http://www.buffalotech.com/support/getfile/?LS_Live_103_WebAccess.zip

What did I do wrong? Or is this mod not working for the new LS HW?

I'm gladful for any hint.

Best regards,

Oliver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:20 am 
Developer

Seems that the LS Pro has moved to the new hardware.. see here -> viewtopic.php?p=38970#p38970

I have updated the wiki
Here -> http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/Category:LSPro
& here -> http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/Disassemble_the_LS_Pro

With the links to mindbenders quality instructions.

LS-H120LAN(PPC) - Dev (foonas)
LS-H120LAN(PPC) - Freelink - 2.6.23.8
LS-H250LAN(MIPS) - Dev (foonas-em, foonas)
LS-HS400DGL(PPC) - Freelink
Thecus N1200 - Ubuntu 8.10

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:30 pm 

Hello

every time i will update the firmware to freelink but everytime i klick on update he copy to linkstation then he says writing firmware and then comes a errormesseg with ACP_STATE_PID_Error can someone help me pls

mfg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:24 pm 
Developer

While the error state is known, I've never seen it showing up and don't know what it might mean. But I'd be very interested in more information.
If you want - you could do me following favor. From a telnet session do:

a) Add a comment "#" to the line containing clientUtil_server in /etc/daemonwatch.list.
b) stop clientUtil_server by calling /etc/init.d/clientUtil_servd.sh stop
c) respawn clientUtil_server by /usr/local/sbin/clientUtil_server -i eth0 -d > /mnt/disk1/share/clientUtil.log

Try to update, all messages from the communication program clientUtil_server will be written to clientUtil.log in your share directory. After the next reboot your clientUtil_server will be started in the usual/normal way. Just remember to uncomment the clientUtil_server line in /etc/daemonwatch.list again. It's used by a daemon that restarts the process again in case clientUtil_server should die.

Just guessing: PID could be something related to _p_rocess _id_entifier. Maybe clientUtil_server tries to spawn some process and fails or the spawned process dies to early?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:31 am 

I had a successful installation of FreeLink_arm9-1.0rev2 to my LS pro which was changed hardware version(LS-GL1.10_051).
I just do that:
1.With debug mode, I choosed only update rootfs.
2.After all done, I got a fail message and enter EM mode.
3.After try more failed update, I try to install Initrd-Only within the package, and choosed only update Initrd.
Now, it's work. I can access the box with ssh.
Thx for all. Hope it's useful.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:36 pm 

with new hardware ls pro
after one more install freelink, the step is that:
1.update to stock fireware 1.10.51
2.use LSUpdater.exe install freelink 1.0rev2, only choose rootfs
3.box boot in EM mode
4.use acp_commander.jar enable the telnet
5.in box, get the freelink two file "initrd.buffalo" "initrd.buffalo" to /boot
6.reboot. now it work
so, i think the correct install is :
use LSUpdater.exe install freelink 1.0rev2, choose rootfs, initrd, kernel, NOT choose boot

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:34 pm 

LS Live, new hardware, successful simple install of FreeLink.

Installed from the 2.06 firmware, only the rootfs was updated (BOOT, KERNEL, initrd
all unchecked in Debug mode.)

Box was not quite stock 2.06 because size of /dev/sda2 (but not /dev/sda1 = /boot) was increased prior to flash.

After flash and reboot LSUpdater.exe was hanging (waiting for a handshake from the LSPRO, which would never come because the LS LIVE was now runing FreeLink instead of Buffalo FW). I verified that the LS LIVE was running FreeLink because it responded to ping. I then stopped LSUpdater (told it to give up waiting for that handshake), and logged into the LS LIVE as root. Checked all was OK and rebooted.

This seems much more uneventful than what happenned in the reports of updating LS PRO (new Hardware).

Perhaps this is because I first flashed back to the 2.06 Buffalo FW for LS LIVE, which is what it came with from the factory (I had updated to 2.10 after getting it, but since 2.10 is linux 2.6.16 and 2.06 is 2.6.12 (like Freelink) and only a partial update was being mde, I though it safer to start with 2.06. Apparently 2.10 also might have more checking of FW than 2.06 (according to some forum posts) so maybe this explains the LS PRO difficulties.

Does LS PRO (new hardware) come with 2.06 or 2.10 FW ? (can it run 2.06?, is there a 2.06 for the PRO?)

I have updated the Wiki article "FreeLink for the LinkStatio PRO" for the new hardware.
(The article should be really be called "FreeLink for the LinkStation PRO and LIVE" , but this is difficult to change). There is space for a clear discussion of the procedure for the LS PRO new hardware to be added when the details become fully clear and reproducible.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

moved article to the new name.

thx to mediawiki the old link automatically gets forwarded to the new one:

old: http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/FreeLi ... tation_Pro
new: http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/FreeLi ... n_PRO/LIVE

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:36 pm 
Total Newbie

I had a successful installation of FreeLink_arm9-1.0rev2 to my LS pro V2, starting with stock firmware 1.11-0.62, using the steps described by ado. :up:

ado wrote:
I had a successful installation of FreeLink_arm9-1.0rev2 to my LS pro which was changed hardware version(LS-GL1.10_051).
I just do that:
1.With debug mode, I choosed only update rootfs.
2.After all done, I got a fail message and enter EM mode.
3.After try more failed update, I try to install Initrd-Only within the package, and choosed only update Initrd.
Now, it's work. I can access the box with ssh.
Thx for all. Hope it's useful.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:44 pm 

weikai wrote:
1. Download freelink
3. unzip both files

That doesn't work for my (new hardware) LS Live... I get always the message "Update has finish" and LSUpdater is able to find my LS Live. SSH is not working. Does someone have a more detail description??

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:06 am 
Site Admin

you DEFINITELY need to do an initrd-only update before changing the rootfs.

it is needed to boot freelink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:03 am 

mindbender wrote:
you DEFINITELY need to do an initrd-only update before changing the rootfs.

it is needed to boot freelink

I found a solution installing FreeLink without initrd-only update (last post: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4286). FreeLink is working for me, wonderful :)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next