Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:37 pm 
Total Newbie

My first post - be gentle! My knowledge of networking is scanty..

I am trying to get the Linkstation Live Web Access to work.

I have a 750gb unit running through a netgear router.

I have set up a service to allow TCP/UDP via port 9000.
I told the firewall to forward traffic to 192.168.0.4
I set up a static IP for the linkstation as above.
I have tried UPnP on and off.

From within the LAN it works fine.

Outside the LAN if I go through buffalonas.com and enter my linkstation name then I get a time-out.

If I put the IP into the browser as http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9000 I get a time out.

If I put the IP into the browser as http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx without the port then I get asked for my login details then get into the browser configuration screen. I can't access any of my files but I can alter my setup!

I can login via FTP on the browser (as I enabled FTP server) and browse but not into the shared folders. I can download the manual from the info folder over the WAN but I can't access my shared folders.

To do this I had to enable DMZ server and allocate 192.168.0.4 as the default server. With DMZ off then nothing happens - time out.

I tested to make sure port 9000 was open using the remote 'can you see me dot com' app. It is.

I know that there is traffic from the linkstation to my PC here at work, but I don't seem to be able to access the correct 'bit' of the linkstation.

Any help very warmly accepted.

Regards,

Mike.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:45 pm 

scoobysnax wrote:
If I put the IP into the browser as http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9000 I get a time out.

If I put the IP into the browser as http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx without the port then I get asked for my login details then get into the browser configuration screen. I can't access any of my files but I can alter my setup!

Tell me if I understand this correctly, from outside your network, if you enter your WAN IP address (not 192.168.0.4), without any port, you get the LS's web interface? If so, that must be due to you putting the LS in the DMZ or you must have additionally opened port 80 to the LS's internal IP address.

When you turn off upnp in the LS's web interface, are you setting the manual port to 9000?

Also, are you testing this http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9000 from inside the network that the LS is on? if so, your netgear probly doesn't support "loopback" which means from inside your network, you cannot go to the WAN ip address of your network by looping back through the WAN port of your router (did that make sense :-P)

if this LS is at work, visit http://whatismyip.com and write down your WAN IP address, and from home, try http://(the ip you wrote down):9000

20:23:40 up 417 days, 20:09, 1 user, load average: 0.20, 0.21, 0.30

That's only because I had to move that time ago. Love this box and this community, wish I had more time to dedicate to it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:09 am 
Total Newbie

Hello everyone, :idea:

in fact i have the same problem :
if i am out of home or at home, i can use
https://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9000 which means that SSL is using port 9000 instead of 443 ... ( i do not use UPNP -disabled-)

Pascal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:23 am 
Total Newbie

I had a major breakthrough on setting up web access! Even after setting up my linkstation in the DMZ, I still couldn't get it working. Then I looked at my Network settings, and found that my default gateway, primary and secondary DNS server settings were blank. So, I entered the ip address of my router into the default gateway and primary DNS address, and put in 208.67.222.222 (which is OpenDNS) for the secondary DNS settings. Tried it again, and it prompted me for a user id and password!

Next step was to create a new user in User Management, then Web Access -> Folders Setup and set Web Access Settings to Allow All Groups / Users

After that, went to Shared Folders -> Shared Folders Setup. Clicked my "share" shared folder, and set Access Restrictions to Enable. Then below that, moved my new user from the right side over to the read only side.

BTW, under Web Access -> Service Setup, I have the first 3 options enabled, BuffaloNAS.com Name and Key entered, and Auto-Configure Firewall on.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:27 am 
Site Admin

Avoid 'DMZ' whenever you can. That 'demilitarization' is unilateral, you give up your own NATural defenses and expose your host in full nudity to anyone. Para bellum!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:43 pm 
Total Newbie

Good point. Now that the DMZ works, I'll undo that and just try the port forwarding.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:53 pm 
Total Newbie

I am not terribly savvy on internet protocols and language, so please bare with me.

I have Verizon FIOS using the Actiontec M1424-WR modem/router. Attached to it is my Netgear wireless router and attached to it are a computer (ethernet) one computer (wireless) and the LS Live. ( I use the Netgear because there is something fishy with the Actiontec wireless where it struggles to hold a signal and it takes forever for a computer to actually acquire a wireless signal.)

I have no problems accessing and using the LS Live on the home network - absolutely love it. What I am having a problem doing is accessing the LS Live from the web, more specifically my Iphone.

I have used several port forward settings (I think) but nothing.

The IP address of the Actiontec router starts with 68.238.xxx.xxx

below is one of the settings pages from the Actiontec

The IP address of the Netgear router is 192.168.x.x

The IP address of the LS Live is 10.0.x.x

Every time I try to access from the web typing http://www.buffalonas.com/my_network_name it shows in the address bar that it is trying to get into 68.238.xxx.xxx:80 and of course, nothing.

I have used several port #s.

I have run a port scanner and can see several open ports to include 80.

When I tell the LS Live to Auto Configure, it comes back with an error that it can not port forward.<br /><br />I am sure that I am missing something very simple, but regardless, I am unable to access via the web.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:13 am 

I have a Linkstation Live 1TB.

Use Vista64 and Windows Firewall. Virgin Media (cable) connecting modem by ethernet to Netgear WGT624v3 wireless router. The LS is connected by ethernet to the router.

Works on LAN - 360 can stream from it.

But cannot get Web Access to work. I get error "Error accessing BuffaloNas.com, check internet settings.".

I have tried DMZ on/off. UpNP enabled/disabled. Port forward 900 on/off. I have added router as DNS server too. Static IP on the LS.

No luck :(

Also cannot get Torrent client to work.

Any help would be great!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:10 pm 
Total Newbie

I have a LS 500 with Belkin router, web acccess will not work, I have twonky on port 9000 and therefore cannot access my files, is there an alternative pory which works through the buffalonas portal?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:09 am 
Total Newbie

dear all,
linkstation live webaccess is not working on buffalonas.com. i can access my linkstation by dydns with out any problem.
my isp is running proxy server. every time when i try to access my linkstation live with buffalonas.com they show connecting to ip 220.255.4.28:9000 but this is not my wan ip this is my ISP proxy server ip.
why my linkstation is giving wrong ip to buffalonas.com
please help me out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:03 pm 
Total Newbie

Hi people,

I have the LS 1TB w/ BitTorrent

the torrent works fine
all computer can access the hard drive even on wireless connection
direct copy works

BUT web access does not seem to work at all...

if i use the www.buffalonas.com it gives me error like everybody here
if i use a DNS that i've setup it accepts it and redirects me to www.buffalonas.com but it asks me for a name and password

im not sure where we can create the account for the www.buffalonas.com.
do we need to create the account in the LS GUI or in the www.buffalonas.com (it does not have any create account link though)

ive tried DMZ enable/disabled
ip of LS 192.168.11.x port forwarded to port 9000 for both TCP/UDP
disabled firewall

still no luck :?

any help would be appreciated :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:04 pm 
Total Newbie

ive finally sorted it out w/ the help of my office mate :biglol:

the problem is, the MODEM that was given to me by my ISP is ALSO a ROUTER!!!

at first i thought its just a stand alone modem. but no, its a router with a single port, thats why port forwarding is not working, there are TWO DHCP server in my LAN, the Aztech from my ISP and my Nfinity wireless router.

My setup:
Internet -----> Aztech modem/router 120.168.x.x -----> Nfinity Router 192.168.1.x -----> Linkstation 192.168.11.x

from the diagram, notice that the Nfinity router is getting an IP of 192.168.x.x
it should not be the case if the Aztech is JUST a modem, but instead the Aztech was assigned a public IP and It assigned a local IP to the Nfinity router, then the router assigned another local IP for the computers and the NAS.

my solution is:

turning of the router capability of the Nfinity, therefore making it work just like a switch.
I've let the Aztech modem handle the routing responsibility because there is no way to make it JUST a modem.

I've enabled the DMZ on the Aztech modem for the local IP of the Linkstation Live.

and Voila, my WebAccess works!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:53 pm 
Total Newbie

I had the same problem first of all turn off the media server. then enable it when you haveweb acces setup.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:39 am 
Total Newbie

Well, try to configure the setting of the web access in linkstation. Maybe it need some change in the setting. However, you can also try to search in online by using some search engine.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:56 am 
Total Newbie

I managed to get the external webaccess via my iphone 3GS work. Here is what you need to manually config on your router if you are not successful with external access but can do it internally on your home network.

Example:
On your linkstation webaccess setup, presumed your linkstation ip address is 192.168.1.36:
External port: 42468 (i think this is automatically assigned by buffalonas for your particular linkstation when you setup)
Internal port: 9000

On your router (my case Linksys E4200 router)
Under menu "Application & Gaming" > "Single Port Forwarding"
Under Application name > I labelled it as "Buffalo Webaccess" (you can call it anything you want)
Under External port > enter 42468 (as above, but yours maybe different I used the example of my linkstation above)
Under Internal port > enter 9000 (most likely is the same as yours but you need to verify from your linkstation setup screen)
Under Protocol > I selected both (i.e. both IP and TCP)
Under To IP Address > I entered 192.168.1.36 (as per my example above, you need to check what is yours)
Under Enable > I check enable to turn the port forwarding on
Finally, select "Save Setting" this will activate your new port forwarding

That is it, it should be able to forward the incoming traffic from buffalonas.com:42468 to your linkstation.

Good luck.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next