Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:10 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:05 pm 

Jimbo’s version – with thanks to BigKid for his (German) HowTo.

Update: This process should work on both Live and Pro.

Starting point:
Stock LS Live/Pro firmware from the Buffallo site (also available in the download section of nas-central.org).
Note: If you upgrade your firmware, use the uploader in debug mode without Boot selected. You get into Debug mode by adding :-
Code:
[SpecialFlags]
Debug = 1

To lsupdater.ini and Right clicking on the Upload box on the task bar.
Search the wiki for more info.

A quote from nas-central.org (under LS Pro articles)
Step-by-Step - Guide:
1. enable telnet and (re)set the root password
2. have wget on your box (e.g. get (addons.tar) on your box and untar it with "tar -C / -xzvf <path.to.addons.tar>"
3. modify install.nas: RC=/etc/init.d/twonky
4. start the installer, enter IP of your LS, user is root and the appropriate password

And now my newbie translation for newbies:
Do not do any of this stuff over a wireless network, it won’t work.
Disable your PC firewall before you start.
If you don't know what a command prompt is or how to navigate directories, go and find out before continuing. ;)

1 The Twonky installer requires telnet access on the LS to work. This is not enabled by default but can be turned on with the aid of a utility (http://buffalo.nas-central.org/download/TO ... COMMANDER/) developed by this community (you only require acp_commander.jar)
ACP Commander needs Java (on your PC) to run. See java.com for the latest runtime version for your operating system.
Once (java) installed, enter the following in a command (cmd) window from the same directory that contains your downloaded acp_commander.jar file.
Code:
java -jar acp_commander.jar -t <IP ADDRESS> -o

Replace <IP ADDRESS> with the address of your Linkstation.
You should see something similar to the following:
Using random connID VALUE = FB6A7FCF57E6
Using target: 192.168.1.11/192.168.1.11 (your IP address)
** NO message **
** NO message **
Password changed.

You now have telnet access with a blank (null) password until next reboot.
If it doesn't work, try again. It could take up 5 times before acp_commander works.

2 You need to put wget on the LS Live/Pro (I had to visit wikipedia.org to find out what wget is!)
wget is included in addons.tar available here http://buffalo.nas-central.org/download/Up ... /Binaries/.
I also paid a visit to wikipedia to discover that a .tar is “commonly used to collate collections of files into one larger file”. So we need to copy addons.tar to the shared directory on the LS using windows explorer (or any other file coping method). Then “un-tar” via telnet from the command (cmd) window we used in step 1.
From the command window enter;
Code:
telnet <ip linkstation>
(the address of your Linkstation.)
You are asked for a Login; enter “root “ (no quotes) with a null/blank password.
Once in telnet, enter;
Code:
tar -C / -xzvf /mnt/disk1/share/addons.tar

You should see a list of the “un-tar’d” files (including wget)

Note: You can paste the line into your telnet window. Copy the line from here and from a Windows telnet (cmd) window, right click the window's titlebar, choose Edit then Paste (this is nonstandard).

BTW, in Vista, you need to enable Telnet by going to Control Panel, Programs and Features, click "Turn Windows Features On and Off" in the left bar, check "Telnet Client", and click OK button.

3 Next you need to get a copy of Twonky for the LS Pro (also works for the Live) from their site; http://www.twonkyvision.com/Download/Tw ... index.html
Note: Do not use the package for the Live, it won't work if you are following this procedure
un-zip it on your PC

This step is no longer required for the latest version of Twonky (they fixed the install.nas file) but you may wish to check it.
find the install.nas file, edit it with notepad (do not use WordPad or any other editor) and change the line RC=/etc/rc.d/init.d/twonky to RC=/etc/init.d/twonky (remove rc.d)

4 Now you can run Twonky’s NASSetup, enter your LS IP address and root as the username.

With luck and a following wind, Twonky has been installed on your LS.
You should now be able to log in from a browser on your PC with 'http://<LS-IPaddress>:9000'

You may want to run Twonky at startup to save the manual process of typing “/etc/init.d/twonky start” from a telnet window. To do this enter (from the telnet window);
Code:
cp  /etc/init.d/rcS  /etc/init.d/rcS_old

This makes a copy of the rcS file before we modify/screw it up. Then enter(exactly as typed);
Code:
echo "exec_sh twonky" >> /etc/init.d/rcS

You may also want to enable telnet at startup, this will allow you to easily get back into your LS to make changes to your configuration.
To do this you can use the vi editor to edit the rcS file and remove # from the line #/usr/sbin/telnetd.

The rcS file is located in /etc/init.d but I will leave you to read up on the use of vi http://www.cs.colostate.edu/helpdocs/vi.html

Notes:
It took BigKid two attempts to get telnet running and it took me two attempts to un tar addons.tar. The first attempt told me there wasn’t enough disk space but after a reboot it worked. I also used WordPad to edit install.nas. This made the install fail. Use Notepad.

And finally: This process documents the steps I took to get Twonky installed on my stock LS Live. I can now stream to my Xbox360 but accept no responsibility if you screw up yours.
Good luck,
Jimbo

PS:I wrote this to document my first foray into modifying a Linkstation. I now have the confidence to replace the stock firmware to unlock its true potential. I hope others will use it in the same way.

Last edited by Jimbo on Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:22 pm, edited 9 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:47 pm 

Nice Guy.

Oki, please write this on the WIKI.

Regards,
FwvG

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:00 pm 

I will wait for feedback before putting it on the wiki.

I see no point in creating a seperate article category for the Live as it will be a bit of a backwater as you can do so much more with the Pro (firmware).

Can someone who has experience with the Pro comment if this process would work with the Pro stock firmware?

PS:
Is there any reason why Twonky can't incorporate this information (and apc_commander) within their installer and totally automate the process?

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:25 pm 

Quote:
Can someone who has experience with the Pro comment if this process would work with the Pro stock firmware?

Hello Jimbo,

Just to let you know, I have used the process outlined here for my LS-PRO stock firmware v1.03. It took me about 5 minutes and worked beautifully.

As a side note, I'm really impressed with how responsive Twonky is on the LS.

Many thanks for your time Jimbo, your post really helped me. Also thanks to those who worked on ACP Commander. Very neat and elegant way of opening the LS up.

Quote:
Is there any reason why Twonky can't incorporate this information (and apc_commander) within their installer and totally automate the process?

Just guessing here but if Twonky incorporated acp commander in the installer and in the process of installing an LS got bricked perhaps they would become accountable? This way they are leaving the "hacking" and therefore the risk to the end user.

Verne

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:07 am 

Jimbo wrote:
Jimbo’s version – with thanks to BigKid for his (German) HowTo.

directory that contains your downloaded acp_commander.jar file.
java - jar acp_commander.jar - t <IP ADDRESS> - o
Replace <IP ADDRESS> with the address of your Linkstation.

Jimbo

Jimbo,

I followed your instructions and was able to get twonky installed on my LS Live with almost no trouble. As a newbie, your instructions worked very well for me except for the part I quoted above. It took me a few trial and errors to figure out that there shouldn't be a space between - t and - o in the java - jar command. I was copying and pasting it into the command line and it wouldn't work until I took out the spaces.

Other than that, everything was great and I really enjoy the twonky server over the stock mediabolic server.

Thanks again.
Mark

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:10 am 

What version of Java are you installing? Link please :) Nevermind...I read this again and I assume the JAVA is for your PC not the linkstation. I am looking for a version of Java that I can install on the LinkStation Pro.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:18 am 

@mlazzaretto. Thanks for pointing that out. I have corrected it in the original post. Must have been a copy&paste error :?

@ws2000. You are correct. You need Java on the PC you are running Commander from. I have clarified in the original.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:03 am 

Hi everyone,

I have a little problem with my twonky installation...

The software (4.2.1) installed ok, the web-administration can be used on port 9000.
Also the server itself is seen from uPNP-Mediaclients.

Unfortunately it does not see any of my MP3s...

I have already looked into twonky's logfiles and found that it does indeed go through
all my directories & subdirectories scanning for files, but it doesn't show that it
adds any of those MP3s in those dirs to its database...

Anyone got an idea what that might come from?

Best regards,
Tobias

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:49 pm 

Hi,

try restart of the mediaserver.

polo

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:12 pm 
Total Newbie

It works!!! Brilliant.

Had to try telnet 4-5 times before it finally worked but was easy straight forward after that.

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:45 pm 
Total Newbie

Hi can anyone help I'm following the instructions and every thing works fine until i come to the 'un tar' bit.

I have one share on the linkstation called 'linkstation' and no matter what i put as the path name it cannot find the file and or directory i assume the path for me should be:-

mnt/disk1/linkstation/addons.tar

Can anyone offer any pointers?

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:21 pm 

Hi,

I installed twonky following this instructions, based on the jtymod-firmware. Works great, easy to install:

http://www.twonkyvision.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2244 scroll down to the last post.

polo

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:20 am 

The article here is pretty clear, I added a few things to to what Nick and Georg added, any one think that it needs more?

20:23:40 up 417 days, 20:09, 1 user, load average: 0.20, 0.21, 0.30

That's only because I had to move that time ago. Love this box and this community, wish I had more time to dedicate to it.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:57 pm 
Developer

Scoody wrote:
I have one share on the linkstation called 'linkstation' and no matter what i put as the path name it cannot find the file and or directory i assume the path for me should be:-

mnt/disk1/linkstation/addons.tar

If you'r not in "/" you should precede your path by an additional "/", so you get /mnt/disk1/linkstation/addons.tar
Alternatively you can do a

cd /mnt/disk1/linkstation

pressing <TAB> after entering the first one or two letters of each folder should give you possible selections to avoid typos.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:38 am 

Sorry if these are noob questions!

Am I right in assuming that ACP Commander program allows telnet access without having to install Freelink or Openlink onto my Linkstation? The linkstation wiki site had (to me anyway) a fairly complicated set of steps that had put me off trying to install Twonky, this guide looks perfect for me.

I'm currently running the most recent Firmware from the Buffalo site, do I need to put a debug mode line into the lsupdater.ini file, or can I go straight to the 1st step?

James