2011 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
2012 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
2013 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
2014 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
2015 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Total votes: 3
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:10 pm 

Welcome to the year 2014!

I played around with my Linkstation (ls-gl) for a couple of month now... here is small list of stuff which i did... and some thoughts ;)

• It's quite easy to install debian 6 or debian 7 (wheezy) :up:
  • Sadly the "standard" install is a littlebit blowed for the low specs of the device :|
  • I succseeded to install the os on a USB-Stick rather than on the internal HD... :p The bootloader still remains on the HD but I don't no if it is necessary because the USB-Stick is reported as /dev/sda
  • I installed some software (ajenti -> webmin replacment, owncloud, etc.), but most of the one with webfronted are to slow or laggy.. probably because of the hardware-specs :|

And some ideas for the future

• Now I want to do a "core" install (expert mode in debian installation) and want to configure a nfs-share (via nfs-export) and a media-server (forked-daapd). I hope the system runs fast and sleek then. :P Maybe I also install webmin for small maintenance stuff...
  • I also think about my usb-stick install, I actually thought that would be nice because the system can send the HD to sleep rather than have it spinning 24-7

Anyone some more up-to-date information or talkingpoints for the year 2014? :D

big up! Use that old sh!t :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:02 pm 

Heh, I am just reviving my old HS-DH500GL (Live). I had various other HDDs in it, and used it with a full Debian.

Now my plan is to upgrade it to 4Tb. It then would be the backup satellite: calling home to the backup server every now and then via VPN, mounting the backups, and copying it to itself.

Let's see if that old baby is up to that. It shouldn't have any problems with those comparably slow internet bandwith..

Krutz