Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:51 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:42 pm 
Total Newbie

Hey All,

So I have the streaming issue described...

Pictures and music files stream perfectly fine to PS3 and so do ALL media types form my Windows 7 laptop.

My frustration grows with my Buffalo Linkstation ("LS-WX2.0TL/R1" / LS-WXL - with FW.1.24) as I bought this device PURELY to stream my AVI/DIVX files from IT to my PS3.

So here's the deal... Sony refuse to fix/acknowledge the issue because they say they ARE DLNA compatible. Buffalo say its Sony's issue to fix because it worked before and they also believe themselves DLNA compatible. From the other postings it looks like Sony (in a firmware update) changed the DLNA profile name of the PS3 from "Playstation3" TO "Playstation 3". This means that if this REALLY is the reason that it is indeed Buffalo's issue for being so inflexible in there supported device. This still does not account for how Pictures/Music work??? Does that make any sense to anybody else?

I have read numerous postings that you can TELNET using acp_commander and change the entry in the Twonky client.db file by inserting the space to fix. I have followed the instructions to the letter including the help of a UNIX GURU and we cannot TELNET OR SSH into the box.

Please please please if anybody has a step by step guide (for a newbie) please send it my way. I really don't want to send it back, but I am at the point where if I cannot resolve I wont have a choice.

Also if there are any other suggestions like a non standard firmware update to overwrite the existing one and what is the best, that would be much appreciated.

Apologies for those of you who hear the frustration in my text. It's been 4 days of reading/trying with zero progress.

Thanks everybody!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:37 pm 

Are these the instructions you tried?

http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Open_Stock_Firmware_LS-WXL

PB

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:13 pm 
Total Newbie

Hey Peebee,

I did look at this and started to prepare myself to do it, but I'm not sure if the end result will allow me to fix the PS3 video streaming issue. I don't see any definitive instances that it will with my exact config.

For sure it looks like this will enable SSH, but I think my concern is, If I go to the trouble of enabling SSH (which for me is not an easy process AND voiding the warranty), will it be as simple as inserting a space in the client.db files (in the word Playstation3) to fix the issue?

If the answer is not 100% yes then I'm not sure I want to take the risk as a newbie. :cry:

Can I really be the only one with this issue, I think its incredibly poor that Buffalo don't release a FW update to restore PS3 compatibility.

If you are out there... Help me Obi Wan Kenobi... Your my only hope.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:25 pm 

twonky 4.4.19 (thats what 1.24 uses) streams to the ps3 just fine if your ps3 is using the latest firmware
instead of blaming buffalo and sony you need to look at your setup skills

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:45 pm 
Total Newbie

OK fair comment, but its easy to blow holes in other peoples work right?

So let me get this right, if both pictures and music stream to the PS3 perfectly, and the video is visible on the PS3 in list format, but when you try to play the video it says unsupported format, then its a setup issue?

I can copy the media from the Buffalo server using FTP to a USB drive attached to my computer. I can they take that drive and plug it into the PS3 and it play plays perfectly.

When I copy the video files using the PS3 interface (from the NAS using the PS3 copy function) the file transfer is successful but the resulting file size is approximately 20MB on the PS3 when the original file size is 700MB.

The original file size can also be proven by the FTP method I just discussed.

I'm am a newbie as far as Unix is concerned, but I am not an newbie as far as network config and I know how to read the limited Buffalo manual.

So whats wrong with the setup? If you are sure, put me right.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:00 am 

I have 2 ps3's
and 5 linkstations they all run twonky 4.4.19 either via 1.24 firmware on newer versions
or custom firmware on older ones

all stream just fine over my lan

what are the divx/xvid version in the file headers and such

if they show up just fine you need to check the files
maybe they are badly encoded or old

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:02 am 

Oh and i have multiple TB's of vid's most of the stuff plays just fine
with a few exceptions

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:42 am 

Ondigiman:

What FW are you using on the PS3. I have a similar setup to Shonk; Twonky 4.4.18 on an LS Pro, and this works fine on our PS3 running the latest FW.

BTW, the clients.db entry I am using with 4.4.18 is:
Code:
ID:060
NA:PS3
HH:PLAYSTATION
DB:FIX
XM:DLNA10
XM:DATETIME
DL:MP4DLNA
HP:chunked
MT:mpeg,mpeg2,vdr,spts,tp,ts video/mpeg
MT:m4a audio/mp4
MT:avi,divx video/avi
AV:no-m3u

So you can see that the PS3 now announces itself as PLAYSTATION and has dropped the 3 altogether. The "PLAYSTATION 3" / "PLAYSTATION3" problems stopped Twonky working at all when Sony changed to v2.40 of the PS3 FW so that isn't your problem as you can stream pictures and music.

I would look at your movie files - don't expect that just because a file works from USB that it will also stream. For that to work both ends need to support the file - the server and the player.

PB

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:16 am 
Total Newbie

PS3 can play some AVI, but not all of the AVI files. More specifically, PS3 only plays AVI encoded with Motion JPEG (Linear PCM) or Motion JPEG (μ-Law); if your AVI is encoded with other codec, it will failed to import.

Here is a solution on how to solve cannot play AVI on PS3 at http://www.idealshare.net/video-convert ... y-avi.html