Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:08 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:53 am 

Hi,
I have an LS-Pro running official fw 1.15, with ssh enabled & ipkg setup with the nslu2 feed, and just a couple of things installed - smartmon, mrtg,apache etc. No significant changes

The LS-Pro has an internal 300Gb drive which is working fine & formatted as XFS

However I am finding that the external drive stops working after a while with errors similar to that below. It was originally working on a Vista x64 box with NTFS and no known issues, I then connected to LS and had some read errors. i then formatted XFS - this time for write -> errors.. After the issues I tried ext3, but the errors are the same:

root@CHERRYDISK:~# dmesg
sd 2:0:0:0: Device not ready.
end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 686817351
EXT3-fs error (device sdb1): read_inode_bitmap: Cannot read inode bitmap - block_group = 2620, inode_bitmap = 85852161
Aborting journal on device sdb1.
end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 4463
Buffer I/O error on device sdb1, logical block 550
lost page write due to I/O error on sdb1
end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 63
Buffer I/O error on device sdb1, logical block 0
lost page write due to I/O error on sdb1
EXT3-fs error (device sdb1) in ext3_new_inode: IO failure
EXT3-fs error (device sdb1) in ext3_mkdir: IO failure

The key is the "Device not ready" error.

I installed the smartmon tools and was able to run a full media test on bot drives using:
* smartctl -d marvell --test=long /dev/sda
* smartctl -d sat,12 -a -T verypermissive /dev/sdb -t long

I had to enable smart on the second drive using "-s on" and can check results with "-l selftest" & regular errors with "-l error"

Everything's clean at a media level.

Now since these tests run on the drive itself it suggests that the issue probably lies in the usb interface driving... anyone have a similar drive
- working
- not working / similar issues

or indeed other drives with similar problems/ suggestions as to possible changes. (full debian/new kernel might be one option I guess... but it could be HW). Is the v2 / non-pro any different?

The internal disk is
Model Family: Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 family
Device Model: ST3300622AS
Serial Number: 4NF21NSY
Firmware Version: 3.AAH
User Capacity: 300,069,052,416 bytes

and external is
Model Family: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 family
Device Model: ST3500830AS
Serial Number: 6QG0LR5N
Firmware Version: 3.AFE
User Capacity: 500,107,862,016 bytes

In a "Seagate FreeAgent Desktop" packaging.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:30 pm 

Didn't help. Get errors immediately.

This looks promising -> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=494673 . Unfortunately there's no "allow restart" in the driver seemingly on this kernel

Starting to think I may need to switch to full debian+new kernel... but surely the stock fw can handle major brand usb disks like seagate?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:45 pm 

OK, so I think heat was a red herring. It does look like power management. More info here -> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/ ... ound-linux

That really leaves the question as to whether
- Buffolo will fix (patch) the problem in an official firmware (ie to wake up the drive when required...)... this does look like a linux bug
- The new arm9 kernels are in a reasonable enough state to use (I'm a techie/linux developer, just one that never has enough time!!!), and more importantly that the disk_restart patch works on them *reliably*. If so it may be worth the hit
- That I get as far as reading through this forum and convince myself the flash is relatively safe (I'm ok restoring via tftp/EM mode etc -- similar to redboot I guess, but serial is a pain, and JTAG a big PITA)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:23 am 

It does definately look like the power down was the issue. Left running all night with backup jobs kicking in every few hours, and worked perfectly, no errors.

Next step -- get the disk spun down. *perhaps* this is what the "IDLE" timer (as opposed to STANDBY) is for on the seagate. This may be good enough and avoid the firmware update on the linkstation...