Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:56 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous 117 18 19 20 21 Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:02 am 

aiio wrote:
There are many - in my opinion too many - files and directories owning to nobody:nogroup. /etc/ is writable for anybody.

From what I read the developers know about this. I imagine when they have some time, they will repack the hddrootfs image soon with the fixes. ;)

20:23:40 up 417 days, 20:09, 1 user, load average: 0.20, 0.21, 0.30

That's only because I had to move that time ago. Love this box and this community, wish I had more time to dedicate to it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:17 am 

Hi , in the free link wiki page there is this information.

Cleanup

For safety and also to provide a 'back-door' entry in the event of a problem, edit the file /usr/local/bin/initsw.sh and add the following lines to the file:

rm -f /etc/hddrootmode
rm -f /boot/hddrootmode
reboot

What remove those files will do and when will initsw.sh script be run [I do not think it will be on next reboot]? I really think this info should also be there :)

Thanks...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:00 pm 
Site Admin

I added these lines of code for safety. If you boot your LS and find that you can not access it then hitting the red reset button on the rear of the box will run this script. The removes remove bootup flag files and force a reboot. This would then put the box into EM mode automatically then allowing telnet access.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:33 pm 
Total Newbie

First of all: you guys rock! :up:
This forum has made mods of my Linkstation easy and my Linkstation a beloved device!

A very stupid question: after having been through a lot of mods I decided I want to free the box with Freelink. I assume I won't lose any data in the process even when things go terribly wrong and I have to revert to the Stock firmware? Any other recommendations what to pay attention to in the process?

Many thanks,
Dee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

Freelink will replace everything that is on your SDA2 partition. Everything that you have on SDA6 will stay intact. The recommendation is to use Georgs Java updater and DO NOT update uboot.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:13 am 

lb_worm wrote:
I added these lines of code for safety. If you boot your LS and find that you can not access it then hitting the red reset button on the rear of the box will run this script. The removes remove bootup flag files and force a reboot. This would then put the box into EM mode automatically then allowing telnet access.

Hi ! I'm running Freelink on a KuroBox-PRO and it seems that the script doesn't work.

When I press the initsw, it does not run the script....
And when I manually run the script, it removes the specified files and reboots the stations...
BUT... it doesn't enter EM mode !

by the way... I suceeded to update my SDA2 partition to ext3 by putting the drive into my computer to make the changes... but I NEVER was able to boot EM-mode on my Kurobox...

I tried :
- removing the hddrootmode file,
- mv rootfs_ok rootfs_booting & echo '****' > rootfs_booting
- starting the box, waiting 20 secs, then turning it off, 5 times (just to make sure)

it always boots the system on /dev/hda2

is there something I'm missing ?

I installed freelink from a blank new KuroBox, putting those files in the SMB share mtd_device :
- ChangeMeDevHDD (0 octets)
- ChangeMyUbootEnv (0 octets)
- uImage.buffalo (1.736.436 octets, 08fev07 10:10:34, from the provided CD)
- hddrootfs.tar.gz (the one provided in the wiki)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:20 pm 
Site Admin

Do you have the ramdisk image too? initrd.buffalo. This is what the box would use for EM mode but then this does not support a ext3 SDA2 paritition. I would have to update the modified initrd image I produced to support different filesystem types on SDA2.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:10 pm 

Sorry, I never head to deal with anything named "initrd.buffalo".

If this is the bootloader located in the flash memory of the box, then I guess I still have the one provided with the brand-new box...

A guy called _Sylver_ wrote on hardware.fr forums that EM mode did not exist on KuroBox-PRO...

So yes, I might need a modified initrd...

but... tell me if that's right :
KuroboxPro boots up and loads initrd located in flash memory...
initrd loads uImage.buffalo on /dev/sda1
uImage.buffalo loads OS on /dev/sda2

if this is right... your modified initrd should only care about /dev/sda1... which is in ext3... nope ?
so why would it have to care about SDA2 being in ext3 instead of xfs ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:55 am 

Is there a newer FreeLink/ARM9 kernel than "2.6.12.6-arm1 #77" coming with the 1.0rev2 download package?

I'm asking as using newer buffalo kernels (e.g. "2.6.16.16-arm1 #9" from 2.10 stock FW) are causing problems with NFS and others (e.g. the kernelmon script, which can be fixed).

Regards
Maddes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:35 pm 

The new/updated Wiki at http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.ph ... imitations says, that you can use Lenny (incl. its ARM kernel if I understood correctly).
Unfortunately there is no info how to upgrade correctly from Freelink/Etch to Lenny.
Can someone please explain this/guide me?

I tried to follow the info at http://www.debianadmin.com/upgrade-sarge-to-etch.html and http://www.debiantutorials.org/content/view/103/133/ and adopt it to Lenny.
But I was not able to find the corresponding Lenny kernel, maybe I just didn't recognise the ARM in the package name?
Or do I have to use the Buffalo kernel instead?

This is the /etc/apt/sources.list used:
Code:
deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian lenny contrib main non-free

# Security updates for Etch
deb http://security.debian.org lenny/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main

Any help greatly appreciated
Maddes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:03 am 
Total Newbie

Okay, I got my new linkstation live running FreeLink 1.0 rev2, and it works nicely for the most part. (Thanks!)

However, screen refuses to run. It exits immediately after printing these two messages:
Quote:
No more PTYs
Sorry, could not find a PTY.

Can someone explain why this is broken? Is there a recommended fix and/or an upcoming FreeLink rev3 that would take care of this?
Here's some info that might be relevant:

Code:
$ uname -r; ls -l /dev/pt*
2.6.12.6-arm1

crw-r--r-- 1 root root 5, 2 2008-01-14 20:01 /dev/ptmx
crw-r--r-- 1 root root 2, 0 2001-10-10 03:57 /dev/ptyp0
crw-r--r-- 1 root root 2, 1 2001-10-10 03:57 /dev/ptyp1
crw-r--r-- 1 root root 2, 2 2001-10-10 03:57 /dev/ptyp2
crw-r--r-- 1 root root 2, 3 2001-10-10 03:57 /dev/ptyp3

/dev/pts:
total 0
crw--w---- 1 admin tty 136, 1 2008-01-14 20:01 1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:19 am 
Total Newbie

Code:
No more PTYs
Sorry, could not find a PTY.

I found the answer. Screen will start working again if you fix the permissions on /dev/ptmx:

Code:
chmod go+w /dev/ptmx

I hope a rev3 is released soon, with correct file permissions and ownership. There are hundreds of files in my fresh freelink distribution that are world writable, which is both a security risk and a door wide open to accidentally erasing critical system files. (All it would take is a simple typo.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:02 pm 

I second that. I would really love to see a next revision which does not have all those world writable files in /dev, /etc, /usr, ...

It is kind of a nightmare at the moment. Right now I am back with stock firmware as I don't really think it is a good idea to run an important server on a base like that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:27 pm 

Maybe one of you is Linux-experienced enough to fix all file permissions (unfortunately I'm not an Linux expert).

:idea: I could assume the following solution for this:
1. Create a "Freelink list" of all files of the Freelink release (maybe via ls or find, or is it possible to get the file list directly out of the images?)
2. Copy the "Freelink list" to a freshly installed Debian 4.0 Etch, e.g. on a PC
3. Run a script that creates a similar "Debian list" for all the files in the "Freelink list", but this time incl. user, group and permission
4. Copy the "Debian list" to Freelink
5. Run a script that applies the permissions of the "Debian list" to all files in this list (the script could also fix the unusual number 99 for nobody and its group)

Possible list format:
<file/dir name>, <username>, <groupname>, <permission (either octal or like "u=rw,g=uw,o=")>

Just my two cents
Maddes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:33 am 

I kind of thought of something similar and came up with some shells scripts which fix the permissions/owners/groups on files to look like those I have found on a PPC freelink and another debian installation. So far it looks good. I have no issues with the servers.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous 117 18 19 20 21 Next