Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:57 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: kill Backupprocess
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:13 am 

Right... I'll try it when I get back on site.

Thanks for helping out. Means a lot :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:17 am 

All right... I tried running the command locally, from the network where the Linkstation is located. But I get the exact same output, as mentioned in a previous post. This time I also ran the command from a WinXP workstation in the context of a user configured with username and password identical to the admin user on the Linkstation, and also as the domain administrator user (the Linkstation is a domainmember - Windows 2003 Server):

----- acp_commander output:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>java -jar "c:\Documents and Settings\administrator\Skrivebord\acp_commander.jar" -t 192.168.1.111 -c "sed '/status=run/status=done/' < /etc/melco/backup1"

ACP_commander out of the nas-central.org project.
Used to send ACP-commands to Buffalo linkstation(R) LS-PRO.

Using random connID value = 7ACBFF323324
Using target: 192.168.1.111/192.168.1.111
ERROR: Exception: IO (Receive timed out) [Section: ACP_AUTHENT]

----- I checked the UDP port 22936 using Nmap:

c:\Programmer\Nmap>nmap.exe -sU -p 22936 192.168.1.111

Starting Nmap 4.01 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap ) at 2007-02-05 02:09 Rom, normaltid
Interesting ports on 192.168.1.111:
PORT STATE SERVICE
22936/udp open|filtered unknown
MAC Address: 00:16:01:41:BA:AD (Buffalo)

Nmap finished: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.831 seconds

-----

Maybe I should just ignore the dead backup process?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:46 pm 
Developer

The error message means that the acp_commander doesn't get an answer from the LS within a preset time. But nmap gets an answer. :?
I guess you ran both on the same computer and there was no firewall allowing nmap to send/receive while blocking java/acp_commander? IMHO the only thing that's left is a timeout because of a busy LS/network/PC.

I've just uploaded an updated version of the acp_commander with a timeout time of 5 seconds. Shouldn't hurt as the number of packets transfered to/from the LS is small. Maybe that helps.

On testing I noted however
- that the sed command on the LS outputs an additional number (line number of match?) and there seems to be no switch to turn that off.
- the slashes in the sed-command have to be "\" not "/"!

The problem with the number problem can be overcome by using a tail, however as several commands are involved I'd suggest to use the "-o" option, which starts telnetd and clears the root password. Afterwards you can start a telnet connection to the box. Except for the cleared root password no changes to the firmware are made. Set a new root password after logging in and after a reboot telnet is gone again (or terminate it on leaving).

But first, of course you have to overcome the receive time out exception.

BTW: Your windows account/password/domain are not used for the ACP_Connection.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:50 pm 
Developer

mesterS wrote:
Maybe I should just ignore the dead backup process?

It's an option, but what are the side effects? Drives that you can't format or you have limited access ... ? I don't know.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:29 pm 

:up:

Awesome trick... Starting the telnetd and just using vi to change the status of the backup job.

Also kind of embarassing actually, since there was a minor firewall "glitch" on my PC, if you know what I mean...

But I guess it was all for the best, since sed wouldn't have worked anyway.

Thanks for all your help, George. I noticed that there is information on the site regarding the use of acp_commander, and such, so I'll start studying before I return with other newbie questions:)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:41 pm 
Developer

Great it worked and the "glitch" made my headache go away.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:37 am 
Total Newbie

mesterS wrote:
:up:

Awesome trick... Starting the telnetd and just using vi to change the status of the backup job.

Also kind of embarassing actually, since there was a minor firewall "glitch" on my PC, if you know what I mean...

But I guess it was all for the best, since sed wouldn't have worked anyway.

Thanks for all your help, George. I noticed that there is information on the site regarding the use of acp_commander, and such, so I'll start studying before I return with other newbie questions:)

Any chance of an idiots guide to doing this? (I have the same issue on one of our LS Pros!)

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:54 pm 

I assume you're running the firmware supplied with the box. The trick is actually pretty simple: A text file on the LS keeps status information on the backup jobs. In your case, the status is listed as "run" or something like that. You will have to change that to "done". That's it.

First a few warnings: This is probably voiding your Linkstation warranty. If done incorrectly you might break something, that isn't easily fixed. Also Georgs handy little tool, acp_commander, is provided as-is. I don't know how well it has been tested, if at all. It worked for me, though. I know there is a newer firmware for the Linkstations, than the version I tried this on. I was running 1.03 as far as I can recall. I dont know if this will work on newer versions. Furthermore, the following is based on this thread, the wiki and, more importantly, my recollection of events passed. My recollection comes with ABSOLUTELY no warranty :?

You will need:

1) to know your way round a linux terminal via telnet.

2) to be able to use a text editor - don't know if original firmware comes with other than vi - be careful! - it's tricky if you're not used to it.

3) Java on your PC (standard runtime - not sure which version - try the latest).

4) to disable any firewalls between you and the linkstation (including the one on your own PC). Or at least make sure UDP port 22936 is accesible on the LS.

Then:

1) Get acp_commander.jar from http://buffalo.nas-central.org/download/TOOLS/ALL_LS_KB_ARM9/ACP_COMMANDER/

2) Read the README.txt in the same place !!!

3) Execute from your PC's command prompt: java -jar acp_commander.jar -t <your_linkstation_ip_here> -o

4) Open a telnet connection from your PC to the Linkstation, ie. "telnet <your_linkstation_ip_here>". Username is root, no password.

4) Find the file that corresponds to the hung backup job in the folder /etc/melco/. As far as I can remember they are named backup1, backup2 etc., each corresponding to the jobs in the webinterface.

5) Open the file in a text editor and locate the line stating the status of the backup job. It will say something like "status=run" or similar.

6) Now change that to "status=done", save the file and exit the editor. Also exit the terminal.

7) Very important: The above steps have enabled telnet access with a blank root password. Securitywise this is a crime. Rebooting your Linkstation now is a really good idea, since this will close the telnet access and reenable the root password.

8) Check the webinterface - the job should be configurable again.

--
You might want to read some of this: http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/LS-GL_Custom_Firmware_Development#Georg.27s_Method