Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:54 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:14 am 

This is tutorial how to clone all the partitions of the HDD in the Linkstation at once by using an Ubuntu Live CD (ddrescue, gparted).
For this you will need a computer with two available SATA-ports and a working Internet connection. I was able to upgrade my 250GB HDD to a 1TB like this. I found this way easier than using tftp to rebuild the partitions etc.

1. Download an Ubuntu iso from http://www.ubuntu.com/ and burn it to a CD.

2. Meanwhile you can open up your Linkstation and remove the actual hard drive.

3. Connect your new hard drive and the one from the Linkstation to your computer. To be on the safe side, you can disconnect any other drives you have connected to the computer.

4. Start the computer with the Ubuntu CD and choose to try Ubuntu without installing.

5. Open a terminal window, and type the command sudo fdisk -l. This will list the hard drives and the partitions. You will see a couple of Disk /dev/sda, Disk /dev/sdb etc. and their corresponding sizes and partitions. The linkstation drive has five partitions. Write down the device id:s for the Linkstation drive and the new drive. In this tutorial we will say that Linkstation drive is /dev/sda and the new drive is /dev/sdb.

6. Keep the terminal window open and run System / Administration / Partition Editor. Choose your NEW hard drive and run the command Device / Create Partition Table, making sure that you choose the correct drive, otherwise you will erase the wrong drive! Leave the default settings and click Create.

7. Now you need to install ddrescue. Go to System / Administration / Software Sources and click the checkbox next to Community-maintained Open Source software (universe). Close the window and agree to refresh the list. Go to the terminal window and type sudo apt-get install gddrescue to install ddrescue.

8. Use ddrescue to clone the old drive by typing sudo ddrescue -v /dev/sda /dev/sdb. Make sure again that you use the correct device ids, otherwise you will erase the wrong drive! The first device is the source and the second is the target. This will take over an hour if you have a lot of data stored on the drive.

9. When finished, shut down the computer and disconnect the old Linkstation drive.

10. Start the computer with the Ubuntu CD again. Now it's time to resize the partitions.

11. Open a terminal window, and type sudo modprobe xfs to give kernel support for xfs in GParted Partition Editor. You have to do this to be able to grow an xfs-partition.

12. Run System / Administration / Partition Editor. Choose your NEW hard drive and select the extended partition, in my case dev/sdb4. Click Resize/Move and drag the arrow pointing right all the way to the right, and click Resize/Move.

13. Next, select the large xfs partition, in my case dev/sdb6. Click Resize/Move and drag the arrow pointing right all the way to the right, and click Resize/Move.

14. Click Edit / Apply All Operations.

15. Quit Gparted and test the functionality of the drive. You can go to Places and mount the partitions to see the contents. If all is well you can shut down the computer, disconnect the new drive and install it in the Linkstation.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:19 pm 

Might be worth putting on the wiki for Ubuntu users. and perhaps mark the title with [SOLVED] ?

;)
Stonie.

LS-XHL - Squeeze Bootstrap
LS-VL - Squeeze Bootstrap

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:58 pm 

I found the following easier way:

Instead of Ubuntu download the PartedMagic 4.5 ISO -> http://partedmagic.com/

Burn ISO to CD(-RW) and boot it with the original LS-Drive and the new drive connected to your PC (internal SATA-Ports). (Connecting the HDs with USB-SATA-Adapter and/or external HDD-Enclosure to the Notebook didn`t work for me - cloning wasn`t successful 5 to 7 times...) As mentioned above, it`s a good idea to temporary disconnect all other drives.

Start GParted (Partition Editor on the left side on Desktop) and write a Partition table (MSDOS default) to the NEW drive, then close Parted.

Open G4L (in the System Tools Menu) and choose RAW Mode then Click'n'Clone.

!!!!VERY CAREFULLY!!!! select the source (the original LS-Disk) and the target (the new HD), then select Click'n'Clone and be patient for about 1,5 hours.

When cloning is done close G4L and start GParted again, select the new HD and grow
1. the extended partition and
2. the contained xfs-data-partition as described in the post above (12. and 13.).

It`s not necessary to make any partition bootable.

Close GParted and shut down the PC.

Build the new disk in your LS-Box, start it and be happy!

This worked with my HS-DH500GL (ARM-Linkstation V2, FW 1.15), that i upgraded with a 1,5 TB Samsung HD154UI. All but the free diskspace is same as before (Telnet, SSH etc.).
I don`t FEEL that the new Disk ist noisier, but it`s measurable much cooler... ;-)

Jan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:49 am 

Thanks Jan, I followed your instructions and upgraded my LS-500GL (v1 running firmware version 1.15) with a 2TB Hitachi drive HD32000 IDK/7K. It worked great, I was a little worried since I haven't seen a post of people upgrading with 2TB drives but i'm happy to report it works!

Thanks again for the info.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:33 pm 

Jan wrote:
When cloning is done close G4L and start GParted again, select the new HD and grow
1. the extended partition and
2. the contained xfs-data-partition as described in the post above (12. and 13.).
Jan

When I try to do step 2, GParted gives me an error: 'Check file system on /dev/sbd6 for errors and (if possiable) fix them.'
When running a check on the partition I get the same error again (WD15EADS drive).

Any ideas?

Update: After running the Check twice I was able to resize the partition.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:08 pm 

Hi, I found this thread and tried to follow the instruction to upgrade my LS-CH1.0TL (US version) to 2TB.
I downloaded PartedMagic 5.6 but somehow I could not find G4L in 5.6 anymore. I turned to use Clonezilla but I keep getting error when cloning the disk.
Then I switched to Ubuntu Live CD 10.10 and again the instruction to install gddrescue here is outdated. Anyway I managed to install gddrescue and cloned the old 1TB drive to the new 2TB drive.
However, when I tried to follow this w/ GParted:
Quote:
11. Open a terminal window, and type sudo modprobe xfs to give kernel support for xfs in GParted Partition Editor. You have to do this to be able to grow an xfs-partition.

12. Run System / Administration / Partition Editor. Choose your NEW hard drive and select the extended partition, in my case dev/sdb4. Click Resize/Move and drag the arrow pointing right all the way to the right, and click Resize/Move.

, the sdb4 is just not resizable. There is a "key icon" on this partition and the Resize/Move option is gray out.

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:59 pm 

The G4L is Ghost 4 Linux under the System Menu, it was in version 5.5. Was it removed from the current download of 5.6?

Is sda6 shown the same?

I used Gparted and Ghost 4 Clone and it was simple point and clicks. A nicety when you are used to Windows.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:08 am 

sparky2002 wrote:
The G4L is Ghost 4 Linux under the System Menu, it was in version 5.5. Was it removed from the current download of 5.6?

Is sda6 shown the same?

I used Gparted and Ghost 4 Clone and it was simple point and clicks. A nicety when you are used to Windows.

Thanks for the quick reply. I did not know G4L is Ghost 4 Linux. So it is probably still there in 5.6. That said, I already cloned the drive with gddrescue. My current issue is that the sdb4is not resizable. I don't have the detail information now since I am at work and these stuff are at home. Based on my recollection, I think the resize/remove option is available for sdb6. However, when I tried to resize sdb6, it does not go beyond the limit of sdb4 (of course).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:16 pm 
Total Newbie

Thanks Witchmaster, the instructions you posted worked well. I replaced my Linkstation LS-320GL's 320GB drive (ST3320620AS) with a 1TB drive (WD1002FAEX). The process went smoothly right up to the first time I tried booting the Linkstation. I got an error message (one long, 6 short error flashes) telling me the Linkstation did not find the drive. I accessed the linkstation via the web interface and used the Disk Check feature (under disk management menu). No issues were found but this cleared the error.

All my data is on the new drive and now I have plenty of space.

smackdab

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:34 pm 

neokao wrote:
sparky2002 wrote:

Is sda6 shown the same?

Thanks for the quick reply. I did not know G4L is Ghost 4 Linux. So it is probably still there in 5.6. That said, I already cloned the drive with gddrescue. My current issue is that the sdb4is not resizable. I don't have the detail information now since I am at work and these stuff are at home. Based on my recollection, I think the resize/remove option is available for sdb6. However, when I tried to resize sdb6, it does not go beyond the limit of sdb4 (of course).

I tried PartedMagic 5.6 again and now the sdb4 is resizable. So I did upgrade the 1TB drive to 2TB. Thanks. However, when I tried to put the old 1TB Samsung drive into my desktop, the drive can not be recognized by the computer when connected as "slave" Do I have to do something to that drive so that my Windows XP could use it?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:43 pm 

You need to format the drive from the ext/xfs to windows (ntfs). I would download Samsung's disk uility and use it. You might be able to use the Gparted and format the drive to ntfs, I do not have a machine to verfiy with.

P.S. See my other post with an update about the Samsung 2TB drive

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:27 am 

sparky2002 wrote:
You need to format the drive from the ext/xfs to windows (ntfs). I would download Samsung's disk uility and use it. You might be able to use the Gparted and format the drive to ntfs, I do not have a machine to verfiy with.

P.S. See my other post with an update about the Samsung 2TB drive

I did format it to ntfs. That was actually the first thing I did after I am sure I successfully upgraded my linkstation. I don't know what's going on now since now I got error message of this Samsung drive with Gparted under either PartedMagic or Ubuntu.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:55 am 

@neokao:
Are you sure you have a CHL V1?
If you have a CHL V2, the partition table on the old disk is a GPT.
You will have to have a GPT-aware OS (Win7) to be able to use
the disk with this kind of partition table.
To be backward compatible, switch the partition table to the "old"
style with Gparted (the MBR partition table).

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

RAID (no matter which level) never ever substitutes a backup. (me)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:03 am 

kenatonline wrote:
@neokao:
Are you sure you have a CHL V1?
If you have a CHL V2, the partition table on the old disk is a GPT.
You will have to have a GPT-aware OS (Win7) to be able to use
the disk with this kind of partition table.
To be backward compatible, switch the partition table to the "old"
style with Gparted (the MBR partition table).

I am not sure I have CHL V1 or V2. How do I check it? The problem is that now somehow even Gparted could not manipulate that Samsung drive. Strange. I got this message in Ubuntu Live CD:
"Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 13: $MFTMirr does not match $MFT (record 0).
Failed to mount '/dev/sda1': Input/output error
NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very
important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate
it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
/dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
for more details."

The PC desktop I use to handle this is very old (~ 7 yrs). The OS is windows xp pro.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:00 pm 

To use Gparted you do NOT mount the disk.
The error sounds like a corrupted NTFS filesystem.

The easiest way to distinguish between V1 and V2 is the color of the
web interface.
Blue -> V1
Red -> V2
Another difference is the firmware version. V1 latest firmware is 1.07 (I think).

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

RAID (no matter which level) never ever substitutes a backup. (me)