Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:43 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:11 pm 
Betatester

Original Topic Title: LS PRO ROM PROBLEME , ACP_STATE_FAILURE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First, I am not trying to sound rash, but several users have posted the same problem when updating custom firmware. I am asking users to read this topic first to help with confusions and repeat support questions. I do mean to offend any anyone. Thanks for your cooperation.:)

For users having trouble updating the ls-gl with custom firmware, please try the steps provided in the second below post first. The ACP_STATE_FAILURE issue is likely caused by a flaw (possibly deliberate) in the Buffalo Updater that prevents the firmware from being updated correctly. The problem is that there are left over files in /boot from previous updates. The updater copies the firmware to /boot first before updating. If there is not enough space left in /boot for the newer update files, the updater will present the ACP_STATE_FAILURE error.

The below troubleshoot/fix is a manual method. There is an alternative initrd created by lb_worm that resolves this issue. Customized firmware (OpenLink/FreeLink) will be released with this firmware. :)

Thanks,

jonli447
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hallo ihr alle,
ich hoffe ihr könnt mir helfen, ich habe versucht das LS-GL_FW_103-jtymod5 auf der LS PRO drauf zu bekommen.
Danach rebootet und laut der blink signale auf dem LSPRO liegt das Probelm an ROM.
ok dachte ich nochmal firmware drauf, aber dies mal würde statt LS-GL, LS-GL-EM088 gefunden.
update lädt die datei hoch und bricht mit der fehlermeldung LS-GL-EM088 returns an error (ACP_STATE_FAILURE)
ich komme nicht über telnet , ftp und web drauf, habt ihr eine Idee wie ich das machen soll ?
habe leider keine Linux PC , boot CD (DVD) hier.
Bitte Bitte helft mir.:( :( :(

mfg
Pezhy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:34 pm 
Site Admin

EDIT-6th.April.2007: german stuff translated / deutscher teil wirkich übersetzt --mindbender

Deine LS pro hat in den EM Mode gebootet. Ich würde das hier machen:
1) Downloade die Telnet-enabled-firmware (nicht jtymod) hier: http://buffalo.nas-central.org/download/LSPro_ARM9/StockFirmware/TelnetEnabled/LS-GL-103.2-fixed.zip Diese Version hat ein telnet-enablete Ramdisk (EM-MODE). Auch telnet und ssh funktionieren in dem hdd-image.
2) Flashe die Version 103v2. Gehe sicher, dass alle Firewalls abgeschaltet sind und das du über ein Netzwerkkabel updatest...nicht über wlan....sonst schiesst du dir vielleicht die box.
3) Schau mal ob das funktioniert. Wenn du noch in den EM-Modus bootest, verbinde dich über telnet zu deiner LS Pro. Die IP ist wahrscheinlich 192.168.11.150 oder die letzte IP die deine Box hatte. Probiere einfach die IP die der Firmware Updater dir zeigt.
4) Sobald du verbunden bist führe diese Befehle aus:
Code:
 Cd /boot 
rm - r hddrootfs.buffalo.updated hddrootfs.img hddrootfs.buffalo.org hddrootfs.buffalo.updated.done

Vielleicht hast du nicht alle diese Files und bekommst einen Fehler..das ist aber ok.
5) Führe „ls - L" aus um die Files in /boot aufzulisten. Poste alle großen Files und lösche keine bevor du nicht mit uns gesprochen hast
6) Versuche nochmal die 103v2-firmware zu installieren. Wenn es geht passt alles.
7) Dann kannst du wenn du willst die jtymod firmware updaten.
In English:
First, forgive me because I don't speak German natively (had to use Google translate) Your LS Pro booted into EM-Mode. Here's what I'd do.

1) Download the telnet enabled firmware (not jtymod) here: http://buffalo.nas-central.org/download/LSPro_ARM9/StockFirmware/TelnetEnabled/LS-GL-103.2-fixed.zip . This version has an telnet-enabled initrd (EM-MODE). Also, telnet and ssh are enabled in the actual firmware.
2) Try to flash the 103v2 firmware. Make sure your firewalls are disabled and you are connected via a ethernet cable ... not wireless.
3) See if that works. If you still get into EM-Mode, telnet to your LS Pro. The ip will likely be 192.168.11.150 or the last ip your box had. Just use the ip that the firmware updater reports.
4) Once you are in, run this command:
Code:
cd /boot  rm -r hddrootfs.buffalo.updated hddrootfs.img hddrootfs.buffalo.org hddrootfs.buffalo.updated.d one

You may not have all those files and may receive an error. That's ok.
5) Run "ls -l" to list the files in /boot. Please post any large files you see, but do not delete them without checking with us first.
6) Try to reinstall the 103v2 firmware. If you are successful, you will be fine.
7) If you still want the jtymod installed, repeat steps 4 and 5. Then update as usual.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:02 pm 
Betatester

:) Thank you for your ultra fast Support, i download and try it. thx thx thx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:25 pm 
Betatester

so i have updated with 103v2 firmware, i have now telnet. no error after cd /boot rm -r hddrootfs.buffalo.updated hddrootfs.img hddrootfs.buffalo.org.
files under BOOT are:

conf_save.tgz 18681
hddrootfs.buffalo.updated.done 59112801
initrd.buffalo 4538872
lost+found 12288
u-boot.buffalo 245776
uImage.buffalo 1811776

if i connect over internet explorer i see only chiness or japonees language. i cant read nothing.

i am in EM mode

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

pezhy wrote:
if i connect over internet explorer i see only chiness or japonees language.

I assume you're talking about the webinterface. You're not in EM mode than anymore:) You have to thumb around in to switch the language from Japanesse to English or German (Buffalo's default language is Japanese). I don't have the stock firmware on my box currently (I'm testing a Debian version) so unfortunately I can't tell you exactly where it is.

On one of the menus, you'll see a drop box. Pic one that says ISO on it and it'll make the webinterface more readable. Then you should be able to select the correct language setting more easily. I'll try to lacate the specifics if you are having trouble locating it.

Also, run
Code:
cd /boot 
rm -r hddrootfs.buffalo.updated.done
before you try to install jtymod5.

As a side note, once you change the language setting, you will be able to clear the root password and change it. Just add the user "clearroot" in the webinterface. You'll get a message saying the root password is cleared. Then telnet or ssh to the box as root. Run "passwd root" to change the root password.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:34 pm 
Betatester

WOW you are Good , very very good :) :) :)
i got it , now i have my German language and i can read anything , hehe *i hope*

one last question, i need NFS , is there any firmware that have this?

thanks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:38 pm 
Site Admin

Yes there is. You can get this if you download the testing kernel and compile the nfs suite yourself. Alternativly, there will be a Debian Etch distribution released soon which has this installed (amongst other things).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:39 pm 
Site Admin

pezhy wrote:
one last question, i need NFS , is there any firmware that have this?

Yes, it's FreeLink for Arm (the Debian firmware I mentioned above). It's still in a testing stage, but if you have some experience with linux (as now I assume you do), you can try it out.:)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:22 pm 
Site Admin

Ah, we posted at the same time.

lb_worm wrote:
You can get this if you download the testing kernel and compile the nfs suite yourself.

You know I forgot to try this with the devtools package. That'll be on my list to do.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:55 pm 
Betatester

Thank you all , you are great and i will wait. :)
I think it is better for me Wink :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:15 am 

Hello,
this happen's: I tried to upgrade the firmware from my LS Pro from 1.03 to 1.03jtymod5 with the LSUpdater and the Instruction from this pages. First works the process. then i get an Error massage: LS returns an error. (ACP_STATE_FAILURE) Updating is abortet.
Now the LED's "Error" and "Info" on the LS was flashing.
When i switch the LS off, the two LED's still flashing.
It seems that the LS boot. Flashing with the org. FW bring the same errormassage. The updater recognize the LS, but shows at "Firmware Ver." ---
Please help, the LS is 3 Day's old :(

i am a absolutly beginner and have no experience with linux, unix and anything in this direction.
Sorry for my bad english!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:31 am 
Site Admin

I'm going to have to make an announcement as several people are voicing this complaint.

The problem is due to to Buffalo's Firmware Updater. The custom firmware, i.e. jtymod, will not update correctly if previous stock firmware updates were made without a special initrd that removes junk from /boot. See the Debian-arm/alternative initrd threads for more info.

I don't mean to sound harsh, it's just that many people are complaining of the same issue. (As a side note, we should create a FTP/port forwarding/ddns setup page for similar reason).:)

@Ramuk, can you please put this somewhere on the frontpage of the wiki. Maybe an alert or something.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:01 am 

jonli447 wrote:
I don't mean to sound harsh, it's just that many people are complaining of the same issue. (As a side note, we should create a FTP/port forwarding/ddns setup page for similar reason).

I'll make it a news entry but I think you should come up with a wiki page with some detailed fix instructions, rather than this set of in-forum instructions (they seem a bit confusing to me)

LinkStation HG *250 Uboot - Foonas-EM - Freelink
Kuro HG *750 Uboot - Foonas-EM - Debian Squeeze
Kuro HD *60 Uboot - Foonas-EM - Debian Squeeze (For Sale)
KuroPro *2TB Debian Lenny Armel- Kernel 2.6.26
KuroPro *1TB Debian Lenny Armel- Kernel 2.6.25.6

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:07 am 
Site Admin

I will try to put together a more detailed wiki page...probably right after New Years. At least this thread can help people until I can get a chance to type everything up.:)

ramuk wrote:
(they seem a bit confusing to me)

I can agree. It's hard to explain the complexity of the updater problem because there is so much technical stuff. Almost half of the alternative initrd and several postings in the Debian thread are about this. Like I said, I'll try to better consolidate everything in a easier to understand manner.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:11 am 
Site Admin

The problem here is that the updater downloads the tar balls to the /boot (sda1) partition which is only about 200MB in size. The stock tar ball is 65MB is is left behind when the update process finishes. If another update is performed, the updater maintains the old tar ball by renaming it and then tries to dwonload the new one to the same area. The next process is then to extract it. The update process on the LS is trying to maintain all these tar ball's in a very small space but also with the UBoot tar ball (2MB) and the initrd tar ball (5MB) all using the same preservation code. As you can see, 200MB is lost very quickly and the Debian tar ball is larger still (75MB) leading on to a failure. The modified initrd process I have generated fixes this by removing the hddrootfs tar ball once the update has completed successfuly therefore conserving disk space. Onto of that, the replacement initrd process has a few customisable options to. We are trying to replace the updater at present but this is a slow process and in the mean time people need to be made aware of the issues using the Buffalo updater (as I have now described).