Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:06 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:54 am 
Site Admin

I've uploaded a new version of the devtools (v0.16-8). This version contains some ncurses and header bug fixes. Also gcc was reworked to recognize the armv5tejl build type and add soft-fpu. Gettext was also added.

You can get the new version here: http://buffalo.nas-central.org/download/DEVELOPMENT/arm9-LS_Pro/devtools/arm-tools-0_16-8.tgz

I'll leave version 0.16-3 in downloads for a few days to give mindbender and others a chance to make sure the new version is sane.

Users will need to uninstall older versions in order to use this version. The reason is because of the gcc rework. Sorry for this, but again, this is an alpha package.:)

@Heinz, this version should fix the major problems you noted when recompiling binutils. The remaining issue is the compatibility port problem. I'll try to create a patch for you if you still need it. Also, stdio.h needs to be reworked a bit. That'll take me some time.

@mindbender - please test this version and ping any bugs. I think we should use a "stable" version of the devtools to do the native compiles for OpenLink. I think this version may be a candidate, but I need more testers to run through this. Also, please list what else you think is needed in this environment. This package should contain almost everything that the devtools for the other platforms do. The only difference is the install method. Unfortunately, I didn't think to separate everything before hand. I do have several package-tarballs, but I lost some of them, so it may take a while to recreate everything.

@georg- I eliminated much of the redundancy in the previous version. I actually cut out about 30 MB of waste. There is probably still much unneeded files in this package. If you have a chance, please look at this package to see what can be cut out.

@lb_worm- again, many many apologies for not finishing this sooner (great data crash :( ). I promise to work/test your latest Deb load before the end of tomorrow. I'm not sure if I can work on the kernel till later.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:35 pm 
Betatester

jonli447 wrote:
sers will need to uninstall older versions in order to use this version. The reason is because of the gcc rework.

I tried it in a separate directory and set PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH. But had no success to compile binutils.
Is it much work for You to compile everthing with "--prefix==/opt/devel" ?
Uninstalling will be only then be only one "rm -r"...
I just looked again at the tar-ball...and now I am not sure where the root of it should be ?
Is it "/", "/usr" , "usr/arm/tools" ?

Heinz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

Heinz wrote:
I just looked again at the tar-ball...and now I am not sure where the root of it should be ?
Is it "/", "/usr" , "usr/arm/tools" ?

Crap, did I tar something wrong again? I was tarring everything a little hastily last night.

Heinz wrote:
Is it much work for You to compile everthing with "--prefix==/opt/devel" ?

Yeah, it sort of is hard work....a lot of time. :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:00 pm 
Site Admin

The tarball should be extracted to / . Did I leave the path for some as /usr/arm/tools ? /usr/arm/tools was my PACKAGE directory when compiling. What caused your confusion?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:48 pm 
Site Admin

@heinz, I understand the frustration with uninstalling/reinstalling the devtools package. Since devtools-arm is still in alpha mode, this package is primarily to see what works and what doesn't. When I move this package to the beta stage, I'll either change the prefix or create an uninstaller.

For your problem, you can install the package to a different location. You'll need to set LIBRARY_PATH to include the "lib, usr/lib, usr/local/lib" directories. Also, adjust your bash profile to include the binary locations of the development environment. Finally, you'll need to adjust the includes/header path so that the devtools headers will be searched.

You may want to try to create an uninstall script (would be much appreciated). I suggest that you redirect the file/directory listing of the devtools tarball to a file. You'll have most of the files that need to be removed. Run a comparison of the listed files to that of the stock firmware (some files must remain). Any files in the devtools package that are also in the stock firmware, remove them from the list.

The remaining list should be the files to remove. Run a rm command or script to remove those files.

In the future, if I choose the uninstaller for the beta mode, I'll add a file tag indicating what devtools package is installed. I'll likely include uninstall scripts for the previous beta versions.

Thanks Heinz, please ping the post back.

@mindbender, how's the package working for you?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:11 pm 
Site Admin

jonli447 wrote:
LIBRARY_PATH

This would ideally be set in your profile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:32 pm 
Betatester

jonli447 wrote:
Did I leave the path for some as /usr/arm/tools ? /usr/arm/tools

There are some links in the tarball...
I do not want to install to "/". The partition may be filled up and some files may get overwritten.
For me I think installion in /opt is the only option ;-(
I set PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH already. What is LIBRARY_PATH for ?
And how can I change the include path ? Is this really needed ? Does gcc search relative to its
installation directory ?

Heinz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:39 pm 
Site Admin

LD_LIBRARY_PATH is used by binutils primarily, LIBRARY_PATH is used by gcc primarily.

Heinz wrote:
There are some links in the tarball...

DO you mind pm/emailing me the links. I might have left some stuff behind on accident.

Heinz wrote:
And how can I change the include path ? Is this really needed ? Does gcc search relative to its
installation directory ?

It depends on what your compiling. GCC will look search the includes in the order specified in PATH and in the source code. It really depends on how the author coded the include search. Sometimes they use absolute paths, sometimes relative paths, or sometimes they rely on PATH. You can change the search path though by using gcc -I tags.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

Heinz wrote:
I do not want to install to "/". The partition may be filled up and some files may get overwritten.
For me I think installion in /opt is the only option ;-(

That's understandable. I'm developing the environment under / (like how the devtools for ppc and mips are) to see what works. Changing the paths should work for the most part, but I want to eliminate as many issues as possible first. Once I know things are compiling correctly and everything that's needed has been added, I can consider having the package install to a separate share.

There is a problem with configuring devtools for /opt. There are several gcc libs that certain binaries are dependent on. If you remove the libs, you may have a disaster. That's why I have asked testers to (in this order)
1) Find issues, things to be added, things to be removed.
2) Find dependent files

Again, once the package is complete and moves to beta mode, I'll work on making the installation smoother and easier to remove.

In order to move to beta mode, I need feedback from testers first about what the package can and cannot compile, what users want added, and major bugs.

Also, I'd need an agreed upon space saving technique in order to create a separate install directory. Remember, this devtools package is designed to be used with FreeLink too.

Sorry for your troubles, I will try to work quickly with mindbender and lb_worm to create stable and more acceptable package soon.:)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:36 pm 
Betatester

jonli447 wrote:
I might have left some stuff behind on accident.

I am not in front of the linkstation now.
I remember that it was in the include directory and point to somewhere in /usr/arm/tools.
I know "-I" because I use them everyday Wink I thought You mean some gcc patching ...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:40 pm 
Site Admin

Heinz wrote:
I remember that it was in the include directory and point to somewhere in /usr/arm/tools.

Ah, I'll have to check that. I manipulated the includes to shrink the size and eliminate redundancy. I might have created a wrong symlink. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:46 am 

I've tried to install devtools, but when untarring, I'm getting the following towards the end:

tar: Write Error: No space left on device
tar: Invalid tar magic

There were other "no space left on device" messages during the extract as well...anyone know why this is happening? My command for extracting was:

tar -xvzf arm-tools-0_16-8.tgz

Thanks,
Charles.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:20 am 
Site Admin

you're running out of space on sda2. The current package is quite large. You may need to extract the package to a share, then set PATH, and LIBRARY_PATH to include the devtools package.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:21 am 
Site Admin

I will be moving this project to the newly created developer section until OpenLink is released. For those that wish to become beta testers, please pm one the admins/moderators.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:40 am 
Site Admin

charlesdesaintaignan
did you download the devtools to / ?

this is not a good idea because of the small partitions. you should download it to a share, because there the files are stored on the big data partition....that way you instantly would have 67,42 mb more space.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next