Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:43 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 Next
 Post subject: Re: Firmware mods
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:21 am 

I take it there's never going to be a new firmware then

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:42 pm 

This might seem a strange question but LS Live and LS Pro are same hardware, right?

I was reading the "review" Smallnetbuilder did of the LS Live and they kinda slated it for being slow and a fair bit slower on transfers than the LS Pro. It seems the only extra the LS Live has is the PCast server (which I don't need) and a Print Server (which jtymod has) could I safely flash my LS Live with the jtymod LS Pro firmware?

I have used the telnet Open Stock option to install HellaNZB, Lighttpd and a few bits. Obviously I'd lose that but I could easily re-install. Would I lose all my /mnt/disk1/Shared folder as that has about 400gb of data in it? :o

Finally, is jtymod firmware due for an update to be based on the newest official firmware or what?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:08 pm 

I run jtymod on my lslive its great
dont flash the bootloader or it will die
there is a guide somewhere

i use twonkymedia on it as well

It looks like he as stoped makeing new versions which is a shame

Plz make a new one if your reading this

Methanoid wrote:
This might seem a strange question but LS Live and LS Pro are same hardware, right?

I was reading the "review" Smallnetbuilder did of the LS Live and they kinda slated it for being slow and a fair bit slower on transfers than the LS Pro. It seems the only extra the LS Live has is the PCast server (which I don't need) and a Print Server (which jtymod has) could I safely flash my LS Live with the jtymod LS Pro firmware?

I have used the telnet Open Stock option to install HellaNZB, Lighttpd and a few bits. Obviously I'd lose that but I could easily re-install. Would I lose all my /mnt/disk1/Shared folder as that has about 400gb of data in it? :o

Finally, is jtymod firmware due for an update to be based on the newest official firmware or what?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:07 pm 
Site Admin

maybe the creator of jtymod decides to work on the firmware.

i for myself have quit investing time. either you use the optware feed or you have to wait for foonas...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:17 pm 

I've installed jtymod on my LS Live but one small issue. I dont use SSH but do use Telnet. It seems that despite SSH being told to be disabled it still shows as GREEN on the status page. Also Telnet shows as GREEN and enabled but it never seems to work. Each reboot of the box I have to use ACP_commander to clear password and start telnet.

Is there some special trick to this (getting telnet to work) as on Open Stock firmware once I opened it it stayed open!

Can I also suggest that a firmware mod thread like this should be split into Freelink/Openlink/Jtymod/Foonas etc threads?

Final suggestion, for potential modders of firmware. Rather than a KISS server which has a limited appeal (presumably just KISS users?), or any media server (I personally dont need one - I just use Samba and play the file from my media player over Samba), how about a "all-in-one" downloader like MLDonkey which does BT/ED2k/HTTP downloads and can be web-controlled (ie from the box's interface). That would be cool. I remember my Synology Diskstation had BT in as standard. Yes, we can add this but to have it as standard and controllable by the box's interface would be very cool IMHO.

Ta for listening!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:50 pm 

click enable on the one and disable on the other and then apply
it should stay then

mine does

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:14 pm 

Seems to stick now...

Now, having cloned HDD I am unable to get access via admin user for web interface... Username and Password defaults are?

Admin and password or admin and password?

Edit - Not needed now...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:51 am 

err I cannot find the Print Server in Jtymod firmware. Is there no print server at all?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:41 pm 

Ok, a few stupid questions about jtymod...

1. Does jtymod come with a kernel-based NFS built-in?

2. If not, does it at least support NFS in the kernel so that I can add a kernel-based NFS package easily (without freelink)?

3. Will the Buffalo webadmin utility still work when using jtymod?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer. While I have a "user-space" NFS server working on stock firmware, I'd really like to get a kernel-based NFS server working (without the need for freelink).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:11 pm 

jtrosky wrote:
1. Does jtymod come with a kernel-based NFS built-in?

2. If not, does it at least support NFS in the kernel so that I can add a kernel-based NFS package easily (without freelink)?

kind of (those are really the same question :D
look here:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3392&p=33187#p33187

Some may have had success using Jtymod (or the stock firmware) with one of the newer kernels.

One of the 2.6.16.57 kernels that people were working on in the past maybe, but those were pretty unstable when I tried to use one on a Kuro-Pro. There are some with a decent number of modules built on.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4329

LinkStation HG *250 Uboot - Foonas-EM - Freelink
Kuro HG *750 Uboot - Foonas-EM - Debian Squeeze
Kuro HD *60 Uboot - Foonas-EM - Debian Squeeze (For Sale)
KuroPro *2TB Debian Lenny Armel- Kernel 2.6.26
KuroPro *1TB Debian Lenny Armel- Kernel 2.6.25.6

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:11 pm 

Just wanted to post that I sucessfully upraded to the jtymod firmware. I upgraded since I did not feel I was getting enough throughput for my gigabit based network. With stock firmware and the media servers turned off I was averaging 7.9-8.0 MB/s writing a 6GB file to the Linkstation Live. With the jtymod I am now averaging 11MB/s....the 3 MB/s increase in speed is worth the upgrade to me.

I have read that the disk write speed for the Linkstation Live averages about 11MB/s so it would appear It is taking everything I can give it with the jtymod firmware.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:20 pm 

Am I correct in assuming that this can be installed on a LS Live V1? If so, how do I get LSUpdater to see the box.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:29 pm 

UncleJohnsBand wrote:
I have read that the disk write speed for the Linkstation Live averages about 11MB/s so it would appear It is taking everything I can give it with the jtymod firmware.

I'm running Freelink (debian etch) and my LS Pro transfers more than 15 MB/s via samba. Still need to do a real test to get bulletproof numbers, but it sometimes even reaches and exceeds 20 MB/s when transferring large files!
You need to enable jumbo frames to benefit decently from the gigabit connection. My setup is using 7k frames and I think that speed would increase even more if I could use 9k frames (my PC's onboard GB-NIC only supports 7k).

• upcoming: ampache (+ coherence), aria2, slimrat, apache, streamripper (record what my soundbridge is playing)...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:29 pm 

say170 wrote:
Am I correct in assuming that this can be installed on a LS Live V1? If so, how do I get LSUpdater to see the box.

LS Updater from LS Pro firmware with JTYMod firmware if memory serves...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:43 pm 

UncleJohnsBand wrote:
Just wanted to post that I successfully upgraded to the jtymod firmware. I upgraded since I did not feel I was getting enough throughput for my gigabit based network. With stock firmware and the media servers turned off I was averaging 7.9-8.0 MB/s writing a 6GB file to the Linkstation Live. With the jtymod I am now averaging 11MB/s....the 3 MB/s increase in speed is worth the upgrade to me.

Thanks.

I need to update this status....I switched to the current stock 1.5 LSPro firmware http://www.buffalotech.com/support/getf ... FW_115.zip and am now getting 16/17MBs to and from Linkstation Live running the current stock LSPro firmware.

Another post pointed out that the 1.15 http://www.buffalotech.com/support/getfile/?LS-GL_FW_115.zip/ is an 8/2008 release but Buffalo did not update the date on the webpage....so the download is good but the date next to it is just an old date. The upgrade went straight over the jtymod install without issue.

The web interface is also now very fast and there is a sleep mode schedule.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 Next