Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:43 pm 
Total Newbie

I posted this in the wrong place, so apologies for this - Hopefully this is the right place!!

As above, I have a Linkstation Pro with the above error.

Having relocated my Linkstation I now have the above error, is there any way I can rectify this or is this now a expensive BRICK!!!

Please help!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:29 am 

It sounds like a HDD failure. Which is recoverable... apparently.
I've currently got the same problem and will attempt a fix as soon as I get time.

You first need to determine if you have a V1 or a V2 LS Pro (http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/LinkstationProLiveDifferences) as the fix process is different - it's easier on the V1.
Fix details http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Upgrade_%28or_replace%29_the_existing_LinkStation_hard_drive.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:22 am 
Site Admin

Hi guys,

also this article will be indispensable to you, most likely...

REVIVE_your_arm9_box_from_scratch

KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:51 am 

I'm not having much luck with this.

I'm trying to follow the steps in the Revive_your_arm9_box_from_scratch.

On the TFTP Boot step (3)...
  • When I turn on the LS is goes into the HDD failure mode (red error LED flashing 6 times, green power LED pulsing, beeps in the high/low siren tones).
  • If I carry on regardless, TFTP Boot does seem to work - it goes through the "Listening on port..." and successfully pulls the two files.
  • The LS then goes silent, but the LED pattern continues for about 30 seconds.
  • The green power LED then goes off, the red error LED pulses on/off, and the beeps change to just a straight beep beep pattern.
  • The network port then disconnects, obviously stopping anything else.
  • The beeping and flashing continues until I press the power button again and it switches off.
  • If I restart the LS it just goes back to the 6 red flashes mode as if nothing had been done.

I'm not convinced the initrd or uimage files apply to the LS-Pro V2 is there a way to switch these with the files from the LSUpdater app?
Can the HDD be manually flashed in a PC using Knoppix or something?

Any help/ideas would be much appreciated.

PS. I've tried deleting and rebuilding the partitions but it's no different.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:32 pm 

WOOOO HOOOOO !!!!

Sorted. As I suspected TFTP Boot is not for the V2 LS-Pro. But it can be made to work if you replace a few of the files.

Start off by following the instructions on Revive your arm9 box from scratch.
When you get to the TFTP Boot process (step 3) you'll need to do the following before you continue...
  • As described in the Wiki page, download the TFT Boot application plus the latest LinkStation Firmware from Buffalo (I used 1.15).
  • Unzip TFTP Boot to your PC.
  • Delete initrd.buffalo, u-boot.buffalo and uImage.buffalo from the TFTP Boot folder - these are the files you'll be replacing.
  • Unzip the LinkStation Firmware to your PC.
  • initrd.buffalo is inside the tar file initrd.img, so unzip it to your PC; the password is IeY8omJwGlGkIbJm2FH_MV4fLsXE8ieu0gNYwE6Ty. To use WinZip, either rename the file to initrd.zip or do File > Open from within WinZip.
  • Copy initrd.buffalo from the firmware folder to the TFTP Boot folder.
  • Copy uImage.buffalo from the firmware folder to TFTP Boot folder.
  • Copy u-boot.buffalo.updated from the firmware folder to the TFTP Boot folder.
  • Rename u-boot.buffalo.updated to u-boot.buffalo (in the TFTP Boot folder)

You should now be able to continue with step 3.

I was attempting to recover my LS from a failed HDD so I had additionally repartitioned and formatted the HDD using the instructions in Custom Partitions on the LS Pro.

I now have my LS Pro V2 back in action. Phew!
Thanks for everyone's help and all the great Wiki pages.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:56 am 
Total Newbie

Glad to see you got it sorted....don't know if you can help with my problem. I have Linkstation Live v1 box which gives the sirens and six flashing red error lights on power on.

Followed the Revive your arm9 box from scratch article, I downloaded the TFTP software from the link provided in the WIKI which for my version I understand is titled TFTP Boot Recovery-LS_Live-2.10.exe on the Buffalo site

Followed WantStuff's recommendations by downloading the latest firmware for my device which is v2.11 dated 2009-01-09 and extracted and copied the initrd.buffalo, u-boot.buffalo and uImage.buffalo files to TFTP folder (note that I did not have to extract the initrd.buffalo from the IMG file as it came as separate file as part of the firmware.

Performed step 3 from the WIKI, saw the TFTP transfer uImage and initrd files, the power light flashes green then goes solid green but the error light continues to flash red six times.

Proceeded to step 4 of the WIKI which involves flashing the latest firmware using LSUPDATE, the device is detected but the HOST is showing HS-DHGL-EM612 which I understand is in Emergency Mode, the FW version just shows ----. Tried to perform the update, after transferring the firmware image the updater returns a message stating HS-DHGL-EM612 returns an error. (ACP_STATE_FAILURE) updating is aborted. Error light continues to flash six times.

I don't have any data on the drive that I need, just need to get it back to factory defaults.

Any help anyone can provide would greatly be appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:22 am 
Site Admin

zzmusam wrote:
... but the HOST is showing HS-DHGL-EM612 which I understand is in Emergency Mode, the FW version just shows ----. Tried to perform the update, after transferring the firmware image the updater returns a message stating HS-DHGL-EM612 returns an error. (ACP_STATE_FAILURE) updating is aborted. Error light continues to flash six times.

I don't have any data on the drive that I need, just need to get it back to factory defaults.

Any help anyone can provide would greatly be appreciated.

That you are getting it into EM mode is a __good__ thing. If you can do that, then it is probably recoverable.

Can you still get it into EM mode? If so, try it and have another go.

I'm thinking there is a way to make sure the LSUpdater actually reformats the disk. If I remember correctly, 6 blinks means hdd problem... perhaps it just needs reformatting. Is it possible you hdd is just dead?

It sounds like you are close. ;)

KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:53 pm 
Total Newbie

The box constantly stays in EM Mode, everytime I try and flash it gives me the same ACP_STATE_FAILURE error, I've tried re-booting the device several times but same message each time. I have a wired connection between my laptop running XP and device when performing the update.

This is a brand new device so although possible the drive is faulty probably unlikely.

Any way to force the device to come out of EM Mode? Do we have any firmware which will allow me to at least Telnet to the box and check the state of the drives? I assume if I open the unit my warranty will be void?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:32 pm 

zzmusam wrote:
everytime I try and flash it gives me the same ACP_STATE_FAILURE error

ACP_STATE_FAILURE usually means the boot partition of the hard drive is full. This can happen when updating the firmware fails.

See the following for the resolution...
FreeLink_for_the_LinkStation_PRO/LIVE
[solved] Getting ACP_STATE_FAILURE error during update