Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:45 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:43 pm 

lb_worm wrote:
The same as what Buffalo used to create the thing in the first place. Hopefully, Javascout is having the same luck with his kernel build. Maybe this will be available for download soon?

i built the kernel.. .but not sure what to do next!!! i could not make the image as i do NOT have ELDK's mkimage.

long time not hearing from javascout about where to put kernel!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:30 am 
Site Admin

Hey guys,

I finally attempted to setup my LS Pro. Some things I noticed (Different computers and different browsers):

1) The setup utility has issues when the LSGL is not connected to a router w/ DHCP enabled. Had to change my router and laptop to 192.168.11.xxx to access the LS.
2) The webmin has issues with saving config at times. Sometime you have to hit "Apply" two or three times before the config sticks.
3) The NTP server sync does not function correctly. Settings are erased on reboot.
4) Setting up User based Access Restrictions through the webmin does not work. The buttons do not function (only the "group" ones do).

EDIT: #4 was my mistake. Should make this clearer in docs though. Sorry.

In conclusion, I don't know if this is the U.S. based LS Pro or all of them, but I believe the webmin was created to quickly. I don't think Buffalo fully tested this product before releasing (I mean the webmin). I hope to see a newer firmware release from Buffalo to fix these issues.

Please confirm these results.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:11 am 

jonli447 wrote:
In conclusion, I don't know if this is the U.S. based LS Pro or all of them, but I believe the webmin was created to quickly. I don't think Buffalo fully tested this product before releasing (I mean the webmin). I hope to see a newer firmware release from Buffalo to fix these issues.

do NOT put too much hope on them. fix it urself, put the telnet enabled, then u r free to go.
it is a great box but buffalo is not a great linux supplier for customer.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:10 am 
Site Admin

jonli447 wrote:
>1) The setup utility has issues when the LSGL is not connected to a router w/ DHCP enabled. Had to change my router and laptop to 192.168.11.xxx to access the LS.

This is resolved. The lpservd process which runs will eventually detect this problem and setup a static IP of 192.168.11.150

Yuji wrote:
built the kernel.. .but not sure what to do next!!! i could not make the image as i do NOT have ELDK's mkimage.

You only need the mkimage. If you still have access to the ftp, can you upload your vmlinux binary and I will get it a go.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:42 pm 
Site Admin

Yuji wrote:
do NOT put too much hope on them. fix it urself, put the telnet enabled, then u r free to go.
it is a great box but buffalo is not a great linux supplier for customer

I hear ya, I'll fix the issues myself. Shouldn't be too difficult once I've got telnet access (or better yet, ssh). You're right though, the box otherwise is great. It appears to be quick. What is the clock speed of the ARM processor? 200MHz or 400MHz, confused in the wiki docs. Also, this thing is much quieter with the temperature control fan. My LS2 sounds like it's dying...:)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:40 pm 

jonli447 wrote:
processor? 200MHz or 400MHz, confused in the wiki docs.

I pulled this from yamasita's site, it seems like it is underclocked?

http://www.yamasita.jp/linkstation/0608/060808.html

Code:
=== BUFFALO LS-GL U-Boot. === 
 ** LOADER **
 ** BUFFALO BOARD: BUFFALO_BOARD_LS_GL LE

U-Boot 1.1.1 (Jun 12 2006 - 10:32:00) Marvell version: 1.10.8

DRAM CS[0] base 0x00000000   size 128MB
DRAM Total size 128MB
[256kB@fffc0000] [0kB@f8000000] ## Unknown FLASH at f8000000: Size = 0x00000000 = 0 MB
Flash: 256 kB
Addresses 20M - 0M are saved for the U-Boot usage.
Mem malloc Initialization (20M - 16M): Done

Soc: 88F5182 A2
CPU: ARM926 (Rev 0) running @ 400Mhz
Orion 1 streaming disabled
SysClock = 200Mhz , TClock = 166Mhz

USB 0: host mode
USB 1: host mode
PCI 0: PCI Express Root Complex Interface
PCI 1: Conventional PCI, speed = 33000000
Net:   egiga0 [PRIME]

Marvell Serial ATA Adapter
Intergrated Sata device found
  Device 1: OK
Model: QUANTUM FIREBALLP AS20.5                 Firm: A1Y.1300 Ser#: 892034275708
            Type: Hard Disk
            Capacity: 19595.9 MB = 19.1 GB (40132503 x 512)

LinkStation HG *250 Uboot - Foonas-EM - Freelink
Kuro HG *750 Uboot - Foonas-EM - Debian Squeeze
Kuro HD *60 Uboot - Foonas-EM - Debian Squeeze (For Sale)
KuroPro *2TB Debian Lenny Armel- Kernel 2.6.26
KuroPro *1TB Debian Lenny Armel- Kernel 2.6.25.6

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:00 am 
Site Admin

Code:
SysClock = 200Mhz , TClock = 166Mhz

anyone has a clue was SysClock & TClock really means?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:35 pm 

If that's true, I wonder if they did that to keep temperatures down. It would definitely help to keep noise down if the fan doesn't come on much.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:28 pm 
Site Admin

It is not under clocked. It is clocked @200 and runs internally @400. TClocked @166 (devices)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

@mindbender:

Just got an email today from buffalo in Germany. The guys over there have completed working out their logistics problem with LS Pro. The LS Pro will start being made available this week as they are already being shipped to the stores. You can currently purchase the LS-GL as a distributer now. If not, the guy said if you can't wait, it is available at http://www.cyberport.de. Finally, if you don't want to order online, the LS Pro WILL BE completely available by November 1 in retail stores in Germany and Austria. He said that the lag now is that many people have Pre-Order the LS-GL and Buffalo needs to send the LS to them first before the general public.

Another good note, the LS-GL first firmware is not complete. Other features are yet to be added. We should expect the final firmware upgrade after all logistic problems have been worked through. Looking forward to seeing what else will be added to this box.:)

I've got Joerg, engineer at Buffalo's contact information (i.e. email, mobile, etc.) so, if you have any other questions, let me know and I'll pass them to him. I can forward his info too if you want.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:17 pm 
Site Admin

sounds good.

maybe you could answer him what this additional features could be?

question is if there will be support for USB-Printers + Sleep....

i do not expect that it will have support for NFS directly.......although it would rock...

offtopic: somehow it is weird that the LSPro (with a 250 GB SATA-HDD) is as expensive as the LS1/LS2 (with 120/160 GB IDE-HDD)....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:28 pm 
Site Admin

mindbender wrote:
offtopic: somehow it is weird that the LSPro (with a 250 GB SATA-HDD) is as expensive as the LS1/LS2 (with 120/160 GB IDE-HDD)....

Think that's weird, there selling the LSPro 500 GB ($329.99) at a much lower price than the LSPro 400 GB ($409.99) in the U.S. Doesn't make any sense. They're all sold out of the 500 GB at tiger, so maybe it was a pricing mistake.:)

mindbender wrote:
maybe you could answer him what this additional features could be?

Sure, I send him an email response in a few minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:16 pm 
Site Admin

i see that same pricing difference in Canada, difference being the 400g is not in stock and neither in order.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:21 pm 
Site Admin

500GB drives are cheap at the moment: glut.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

okay, I just received an email about the firmware from buffalo.

First, there were problems with the german version of the firmware. That was one of the reasons the the LS Pro release in Germany/Austria was delayed. The webinterface could not interpret German correctly. Jorg wasn't very specific. That's all been fixed now.

The webinterface will be fixed (the issues I mentioned above). For some reason, the updater won't work correctly until they work out some compatibility issues with the melco cgi scripts. The webinterface is related to this problem as well. Again, he wasn't specific for obvious reasons, but they are expected to be fixed in the next firmware.

Jorg aparently is not at liberty to discuss the new "features", but notes that there will be some once compility issues are worked out.
I'd check buffalo's scripts to see what hidden features they have, but have disabled. My guess is that the "sleep" is not added yet because of script problems; there are notions of the sleep feature though.

Don't know if this is helpful, but at least it's something. There were other things he said too, but I can't understand it since his sent the details to me in German. I don't understand German very well (one high school class). For some reason, google couldn't interpret all of the text (typos possibly...) hence I don't know everything he said.

@mindbender, I'll contact some guys I know in the North American buffalo office, see if they have any insight. Did you order the LS-GL yet?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next