Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:38 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:16 pm 
Site Admin

The sleep option is in the web pages but is disabled. The melco configuration files support it. I am still coding at the moment (on hold as my box is off-line).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:18 pm 
Developer

@jonli447
Do you want to send me the mail for translation?

I've been in contact with Joerg myself about the availability here in Germany. Some onlinshops seem to have (had) a couple. Guess it will be next week that you can *really* get them here.

BTW: Enabling the telnet access isn't really clear to me. Has anybody been successfull with the firmware updater? I think Yuji tried hard but finally gave up and opened the box.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:28 pm 
Site Admin

The issue I have with the updater is the un-necessary flashing of the flash. I realise that most users do not want to open their boxes and at this early dev stage I think that it is safer too until the updater method is known to be safe.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:48 pm 
Site Admin

send the text to me....i am speaking german native....i will post a translation here...
Georg wrote:
BTW: Enabling the telnet access isn't really clear to me. Has anybody been successfull with the firmware updater? I think Yuji tried hard but finally gave up and opened the box.

i hope the german version fixes this.

i have not ordered a box yet... i am waiting for a shop who tells me that it is available.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:03 am 
Site Admin

lb_worm wrote:
I realise that most users do not want to open their boxes

I agree, but at least the LS-GL is easier to open than the original Linkstations. There's no stupid hidden screws.
mindbender wrote:
send the text to me....i am speaking german native....i will post a translation here...

I sent Georg a PM with the text. I'll send you a PM too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:11 am 
Site Admin

Anyone know what's the screw in the bottom right corner for? It doesn't seem to be attached to anything. Is some bracket missing?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:30 am 
Site Admin

here is the translation of the text jonli447 sent me:
Quote:
These problems are all solved, they were mainly related to displaying the german language in the webinter face.

either they had to translate everything in the webinterface to german or they had some problems with the special german characters like ä,ö,ü and so on....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:22 am 
Betatester

mindbender wrote:
i have not ordered a box yet... i am waiting for a shop who tells me that it is available.

It seems that they are on stock in some online shop's in germany now (?).
I ordered one yesterday...
I'll keep You informed when it arrives.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:18 am 
Site Admin

jonli447 wrote:
Anyone know what's the screw in the bottom right corner for? It doesn't seem to be attached to anything. Is some bracket missing?

This is an earth screw. As the mains supply is live/neutral only, an external earthing point is supplied for those with UPS's or other earthing requirements.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:16 pm 
Site Admin

lb_worm wrote:
This is an earth screw. As the mains supply is live/neutral only, an external earthing point is supplied for those with UPS's or other earthing requirements.

That make's sense, thanks.

mindbender wrote:
These problems are all solved, they were mainly related to displaying the german language in the webinter face.

ah, thanks very much, so I guess buffalo fixed these problems...that's good news.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:10 am 
Site Admin

because i was asked what software (especially the version of netatalk) is used inside the LS Pro i post the contents of the GPL...there we see all the apps + version:

Code:
GPL-content-LS-GL.txt 
License
Linux-PAM-0.81_arm.tgz
apache_1.3.34_arm.tgz
bash-2.05b-20.1a_3.src.rpm
binutils-2.17pre-1.src.rpm
bison-2.1_arm.tgz
busybox-1.1.1_arm.tgz
bzip2-1.0.2-5_1.src.rpm
coreutils-5.95_arm.tar.gz
db-4.2.52.NC_arm.tgz
dhcpcd-1.3.22-pl4_arm.tgz
diffutils-2.8.1-3_1.src.rpm
dosfstools-2.10_arm.tgz
e2fsprogs-1.27-9_1.src.rpm
expat-1.95.4-1_1.src.rpm
file-3.39-9_2.src.rpm
fileutils-4.1.9-11_1.src.rpm
findutils-4.1.7-7_1.src.rpm
gcc-2005q3-2.src.rpm
gettext-0.14.5_arm.tgz
glibc-arm_trg-2005q3-2.arm.rpm
glibc-devel-arm_trg-2005q3-2.arm.rpm
gzip-1.3.3-5a_1.src.rpm
hyperestraier-1.1.5_arm.tgz
krb5-1.4.3_arm.tgz
libiconv-1.10_arm.tgz
libol-0.3.18_arm.tgz
linux-2.6.12_lsp.1.7.8.tgz
logrotate-3.7.1_arm.tgz
m4-1.4.4_arm.tgz
module-init-tools-3.2_arm.tgz
ncurses-5.2-28_2.src.rpm
netatalk-2.0.3_arm.tgz
nkf_arm.tgz
ntp-stable-4.2.0a-20060224_arm.tgz
openldap-2.3.11_arm.tgz
openssh-3.7.1p2_arm.tgz
openssl-0.9.7e_arm.tgz
perl-5.8.8_arm.tgz
popt-1.7_arm.tgz
proftpd-1.3.0_changed_arm.tgz
qdbm-1.8.46_arm.tgz
rsync-2.6.8_arm.tgz
samba-3.0.21c-060515_arm.tgz
shadow-4.0.14_arm.tgz
sysklogd-1.4.1rh_arm.tgz
syslog-ng-1.6.11_arm.tgz
textutils-2.0.21-5_1.src.rpm
unzip-5.52_arm.tgz
util-linux-2.12_arm.tgz
xfsprogs-2.5.6_arm.tgz
zlib-1.2.3_arm.tgz
????????.txt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:45 pm 

Hello,

Somewhat related:
It appears the new Maxtor Shared Storage II NAS shares the same SOC and uses linux. I did a quick glance at the user manual and it uses similar looking software to find the NAS. The setup menus on the box are different but that is just web pages.
http://www.mediabolic.com/products/platforms.html
Tom's Review:
http://www.tomsnetworking.com/2006/08/24/maxtor_ssii_review/
There are comments that this is not an easy box to open. I have not checked if the performance is on par with the LinkStation Pro.

If both the LinkStation Pro and Maxtor use the same reference design then it will be interesting to see the differences between the source packages. Maybe Maxtor will include u-boot sources. Although Mediabolic does not list the LinkStation Pro on the web page maybe they developed firmware for both products.

73 Eric

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

EricC wrote:
Maybe Maxtor will include u-boot sources.

they do.

i just downloaded the GPL-source from the Open Source Download Center, unpacked it and there are UBoot sources inside.

it also uses UBoot 1.1.1....it uses the same CPU from Marvell and is ARM-Based because of that.... it uses the same kernel version of 2.6...here is the output of the kernel-makefile:
Code:
VERSION = 2 
PATCHLEVEL = 6
SUBLEVEL = 12
EXTRAVERSION = .6-arm1

this is exactly the same as the one found on the LS Pro. hey...maybe this UBoot sources really help us.

i uploaded them to the upload section....question is if anyone would mess with that in the future without having access to a working JTAG port....
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/download/uploads/LS_Pro_temporary/NON-LS_PRO/uboot_1.11_MSSII.tar.bz2

but here is another discovery!

they use freenas on the maxtor shared storage II. if you download the GPL source and unpack it you will notice an "etc" folder....in this folder your find about 10 files which all are from www.freenas.org. the box obviously uses freenas...the maxtor-webinterface obviously only sits on top of freenas... this means they ported freenas to linux!
http://www.freenas.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=26

only thing i am not sure is if the box has a flash onboard....the tomshardware article tells us there is no flash....somehow i cannot believe that.

i found out that the older maxtor boxes which feature openmss from www.openmss.org are mipsel based...and optware packages can be built for them.
http://www.openmss.org/Development/Optware
it definitely should work on the LS2 also then...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:12 am 

Hello,

I suspect that Marvell provides the sources to uboot, linux, etc as part of the chip development package. Boxes using this SOC and Linux will tend to use the same sources.

I am jumping up and down with joy as I found the boot problem with my compiled kernel (see kernel thread).:)

I am interested in compiling usb audio support and trying the iMic USB Audio device. Likely alot of bits and pieces to put together.

73 Eric

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:15 am 
Site Admin

This is good news on the UBoot front. It just needs building and checking against the original to see if they are the same. Need a loader port to test this out without re-flashing.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next