Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:01 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:58 pm 
Total Newbie

My backups to USB drive stops randomly even though the TS Live says the backup is still running. I have to restart the TS/Live to remove the backup job to 'clear' the job. I can monitor the backup from the NAS Navigator and see the USB-HDD growing and then - nothing. Log files shows no error, just the last file written to the USB. It is always different files and never anything over 2 GB (even though I formatted as XFS).

I have version 2.14 of firmware. I formatted the USB disk as XFS using the NAS tool. I have tried two different USB drives with same result so I don't think it is the drives.

I saw another post where someone else had the same problem as well as another and I never saw an answer the problem with backing up to USB.

Any help is appreciated!

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:03 pm 
Total Newbie

I had the same problem. Backing up 800GB to a fresh USB disk takes about 3-4 days. My backup would stop for no apparent reason.

The reason backup stops is because once a day the system logs are rotated. When the logs are rotated ackup stops because the log file it was using was renamed. What I did was log into the terastation via the java commander tool and changed the log rotation interval to be once a week. You can make it once a day/week/month. Then restarted the service or re-boot the terastation.

Now when I have a backup that I know will take days, I start it at the beginning of the week. I have 7 days before the logs are rotated.

I have a Terastation Pro II and Linkstation as well. All have the same problem.