Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:02 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:18 pm 
Site Admin

I too used a north bridge heat sink. I will measure it later and post details.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:21 pm 

Thanks, that'd be helpful... I suppose I should open the box and measure to see the space but its useful to know what others used. God, does my LS need a 25% speed boost!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:41 pm 

It is about 3.7cm x 3.7cm, and height is about 1 cm.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:16 pm 
Total Newbie

After a week of hard time and going to/back from Akihabara, I have overclocked my kuropro to 512Mhz. Here's some tips I got.

R237 and R238 are 0ohm, R50 and R54 are 1kohm.
When you lose a chip in the sea of solder, this can be useful. If you have a tester (I suppose so), test yourself before removing them.
    When the beep fade outs when you turn off kuropro by pressing Power button
Check fuses on the daughter board.
    develop your soldering skill beforehand.
1608 size chips are bit hard to solder, to say nothing of 1005 size. Learn how much force on iron you should use to remove a chip. Broken motherboard or PCI card might be suitable. If you rip pattern, practice, practice, practice.
and finally,
    Never give up.
I ripped the pattern twice and had to use lead, lost 4 chip resistors & capacitors, flashed NOR badly (I needed JTAG which I had obtained but had'nt used), bridged solder and blown out one fuse on the daughter board.
Still, my overclocked kuropro works well by now.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:57 pm 

Quote:
1608 size chips are bit hard to solder, to say nothing of 1005 size. Learn how much force on iron you should use to remove a chip.

Glad to hear your success story.
My experience is you need to be a bit more generous with the solder allow it to flow through both side of the resistor, then remove the resistor from the PCB with a twizter or push it away from the track with your iron, then clean up the excess solder (on board and resistor) with de-soler wicks. When the job is done, clean the PCB with isopro alcohol, and it will look like new as original.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:16 pm 
Site Admin

I find that two soldering irons work well when you have not got the right extraction gear. Remember, hotter is good for short periods only and be quick as you can reck PCB tracks. Good work.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:33 pm 

I received my order of a Kuro-Box/PRO at the end of June and have Added a serial port and JTAG connector (haven't had to use that YET!) and installed Debian.
I was looking at my Kuro-box while reading this thread. The instructions for the LS Pro are good and I am NOT a newbie at this stuff (modded a WRT54G and a couple of NSLU2's and do embedded Linux for a living). The pictures are not the same as my Kuro-box but the labels seem to be MOSTLY the same even though the parts are not located in the same area (close to the same, but not exactly). I wouldn't be surprised if the labels for the R's and C's have not changed EXCEPT for some around the Xtal oscillator (XTAL2/3/4 positions).
Is there any way to tell the revision number of the Kurp-box? I see nothing on the label and nothing on the PCB to signify Rev 1 or 2. Has anyone overclocked a recent Kuro-box?

Herb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:09 pm 
Site Admin

dommer, lb_worm and any other modders : question for you - Is your overclocked LSPro still working well for you? Stable under heavy, extended loads for you? Has that 25% boost been usefully translated into some faster network transfer speeds (via samba or nfs?)?

KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:19 am 
Site Admin

Mine is still in use. Its my dev box so is on more than the others. I found that the boast really helped the networking. The extra performance for the CPU helps it not get bog'd down so much. I have a hog routine which grabs as much CPU time as you want and have run that before to stress test and all was okay. Yes it gets hotter quicker but some changes to the micro_evtd cooling settings have that under control okay.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:03 am 

herbr wrote:
dommer, lb_worm and any other modders : question for you - Is your overclocked LSPro still working well for you? Stable under heavy, extended loads for you? Has that 25% boost been usefully translated into some faster network transfer speeds (via samba or nfs?)?

Mine has been running since the overclocking article was posted http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/Overclock_the_Kurobox_Pro/Linkstation_Pro, overclocked and in RAID-1 mod and has not missed a single beat since. Been running 24 x7 and still waiting to get lb_worm's micro_evtd to work in Aussie time. As for network performance difference pre and post mod, please check the WiKi link.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:11 pm 
Site Admin

Okay dommer, I am working on it now :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:53 pm 
Site Admin

This overclock looks like a great project. I really must do some dumpster diving to find the parts, and then work a bit on this over the winter months.

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:39 am 

lb_worm wrote:
Okay dommer, I am working on it now

Thanks, was not the intention.

davy_gravy wrote:
I really must do some dumpster diving to find the parts

The only vital part is the oscillator, which I got from RS. Anyway, if you have trouble, whim me, see if I can help, no promise.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:13 am 
Site Admin

dommer wrote:
The only vital part is the oscillator, which I got from RS. Anyway, if you have trouble, whim me, see if I can help, no promise.

RS = RadioShack?

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:55 am 
Site Admin

davy_gravy wrote:
dommer wrote:
RS = RadioShack?

The sad truth is that even if they carry it, they are out of stock. In general, they suck.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next