Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:32 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:49 pm 
Total Newbie

I have a TeraStation Pro 2 with Firmware 1.35. I am trying to make some changes to features controlling Active Directory but I cannot get root access. I am using ACP_Commander and have telnet access to the box through the admin account, but nothing I do will blank or change the root password.

I used "java -jar acp_commander.jar -t <IP_ADDRESS> -o", but apparently the -o switch is no longer valid with FW 1.35. I tried using "java -jar acp_commander.jar -t <IP Address> -c "(echo <pass>;echo <pass>)|passwd"" but that did not work either. No matter what commands I use, or what I enter as a password, I get this:

BUFFALO INC. TeraStation PRO series TS-HTGL/R5(YOSHINOBU)
TSPro2NAME login: root
Password:
Login incorrect
TSPro2NAME login:

Can someone lead me to a FW for the TS-HTGL that will work with acp_commander?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:34 am 

Should be the "usual" problem, that "root" is not allowed to connect via telnet.
Did you tried "su -" when logged in via telnet as user "admin"?
Or did you try to connect via ssh instead of telnet?
There was a list of user names within a file on the box, which Buffalo uses to
prevent certain users (like "root") to connect directly. Unfortunately I forgot the
name. One just need to remove "root" from this list.

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

RAID (no matter which level) never ever substitutes a backup. (me)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:47 am 
Total Newbie

I have the same device with FW 1.35 and I'm having the same problem. I used the GUI version of ACP_Commander, but even though it reports that the root password has been successfully changed, I still cannot log on. However, I reset the unit back to the factory config & I was then able to log on via SSh using PuTTY and the admin username & password. This gets me access to a command shell, but it's got limited permissions. I tried the "su -" command but it wasn't recognised. I also tried changing the root password, but it told me I need root access to do so. Anyone any thoughts on how I can get root access to this box?

BTW, the shell is GNU bash, version 2.05b.0(1)-release (arm-none-linux-gnueabi) If that's of any significance.