Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 4:40 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:52 pm 

Instructions I have seen everywhere indicate that the process is to get LSUpdater to reset the IP address of the NAS to 192.168.11.150. {While setting a manual UP address of 192.168.11.1}. This is indeed necessary for the TFTP of the initial 2 files on the manual instruction to the NAS to go into emergency mode.

However, from here on in the box randomly sometimes assigns itself a 168.254.x.y address (I saw different numbers each time). It also assigns its own subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. I was getting ACP errors and lots of aborted reflashing attempts. I was trying to get LSUPdater to assign 192.168.11.150 every time it reverted.

Then I hit on not setting any IP address for the NAS once it has the TFTP files and had rebooted the first time with a 168.254.x.y address. At this point I changed my connectedd laptop's IP address to 169.254.1.1. 255.255.0.0 From here on the resetting of the NAS worked 100% perfectly. 30 minutes and it is done.

Also, confirmed 2 x 2TB disks running well.

Thanks to all users on this Forum from whom I have learned a lot! I hope this is a small contribution to the community in return.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:38 am 

Sounds like that was a bit harder than it needed to be! sorry to hear it.

if you have a dhcp server on your LAN then once the box boots out of EM mode it should grab an IP from there (normally your router)

Stonie.

LS-XHL - Squeeze Bootstrap
LS-VL - Squeeze Bootstrap

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:48 pm 

There is a DHCP server on the LAN. However, the box unexplainedly would adopt the 169.254.x.y number on one of its reboots in the middle of lsupdater. What showed variously as format / ACP errors then led me off on wild goose chase to fix supposed problems related to disks, and to the flashing before realising this 169.254.x.y number reassignment was happening.

I note it as some posters here are identifying ACP errors and perhaps this may be behind some of these.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:04 am 

Thanks for the report...

Once you get Debian installed... all of these Buffalo software related nightmares are no more :)

LS-XHL - Squeeze Bootstrap
LS-VL - Squeeze Bootstrap