Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:49 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:56 pm 

I'm trying to install the latest version of MiniDLNA (1.0.25) to my LS-CHL-v1. I successfully downloaded and installed all the needed packages (with IPKG and proper feed for my NAS) that are required to compile and run MiniDLNA. When I try run command "autoreconf --install", I get the following kind of error message.

Code:
*** The AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION declaration in your configure.ac file requires the infrastructure from gettext-0.18 but this version is older. Please upgrade to gettext-0.18 or newer.

So the version of GetText that is in the repositiory, is too old (it's 0.14). Very stupid question, but who is updating these repositories? Why there are so old versions of some libs and tools? Can more than one version of each exist at the same time?

What is the best way to get over this issue and manage to install MiniDLNA? I might be ready to accept little bit older version of MiniDLNA, if the latest one is problematic to compile/install.

I also found a blog (http://dev.shyd.de/2011/08/minidlna-dockstar-dlna-server/), that seems to contain compiled binaries of MiniDLNA for ARM platform in deb format. Yet another stupid question... Can I use those? They are for ARM platform, but is that enough? Will they work or do they need to be compiled for exactly the same processor etc.?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:03 am 

You can try to compile gettext-0.18 yourself, to "solve"
this problem.
There is always a way to get a specific version of a source
package.

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

RAID (no matter which level) never ever substitutes a backup. (me)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:51 am 

kenatonline wrote:
You can try to compile gettext-0.18 yourself, to "solve"
this problem.
There is always a way to get a specific version of a source
package.

Yes, maybe I have to try that. That was my second choice. Hopefully there aren't too many dependancies in GetText library, so it doesn't force me to build lots of other stuff too.

For some reason I couldn't see version tags in CVS browser (In MiniDLNA repository) the other day, so I could have tried to get an older version of MiniDLNA. Now they seem to exist, so getting and compiling an older version of MiniDLNA is also one possibility.

Let's see how everything goes and what's the next issue ;-) Too long time in Microsoft world has made me forget most I once knew about Linux (wasn't much even back then).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:45 pm 

Just as I expected. GetTexts seems to have lots of dependencies at least according to the documentation. Doesn't look too promising.

There also seems to be something wrong with those optwares I downloaded and installed with ipkg. When I tried to compile simple test file with GCC, it gave an error about some library being invalid ( /lib/libc.so.6: file not recognized: File format not recognized). I believe I used correct feed that was mentioned in Buffalo NAS-Central Wiki (http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Ipkg_on_the_Linkstation_%28for_end-users%29). It was the first one on the list.

Older version of MiniDLNA neither seems to be better. Autoreconf tool is complaining about some missing libs or something like that. Paths that it is referring to (/home/slug/optwares/...), don't exist, and with a quick recursive grep operation, I couldn't find those kind of paths from any files. Kind of hard to figure out, what's wrong. I guess first step would be to get GCC to work somehow.