Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:27 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Can't access LSPRO
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:02 pm 

I have a 500GB v1 Linkstation Pro which has been running FreeLink Debian 4 for a few years. I decided I would upgrade the to Debian 6 and was following the wiki instructions to do so. I got down to the stage of running the Debian preparation script where I got the error message: Incompatible bootloader version detected. Please update to the latest firmware version.

Here is where I have got myself confused and things started to go wrong! I wanted to install new buffalo firmware to update the bootloader.

I tried to run LSupdater but it couldn't find the machine - I think this is right as it can't find a freelink box???

I was previously able to ssh to the unit on 192.168.1.150 but somewhere along the line after the box rebooted I could no longer do that. Oh I have also now removed the drive and repartioned everything although sda1 is left untouched.

I have however managed to ping it on 192.168.11.150 so is it now in EM mode??

I can't telnet to it (just disconnects without attempt to log in). I can ssh to it but it no longer accepts my root password.

I have tried running TFTPBoot and although it is listening nothing happens.

I am very grateful for any suggestions as to what to try next to get the box back up and running.

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Can't access LSPRO
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:13 am 

Did you followed this guide?
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Install_Debian_on_the_Linkstation_Pro/Live

I can't remember if the old LS also need a either completely empty disk or a disk with
4 "correct" partitions (sda1/sda2/sda5/sda6) for TFTP to work.
Maybe worth a try?

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

RAID (no matter which level) never ever substitutes a backup. (me)

Post subject: Re: Can't access LSPRO
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:13 am 

Thanks for your reply. I can't say how I solved it but eventually after endless attempts at getting TFTP to work it finally did and I reflashed latest stock firmware, then freelink/debian 4 then debian 6 install so everything is working now.

For anyone novices like me who end up in a similar position where you aren't asked for a root password on install and are a bit puzzled why you can't su then either...
1) use sudo for all commands
or
2) use:
sudo passwd root
to enable your root user