Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:33 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:21 pm 

Greetings all.

I have a HD-H250LAN and I want to get it "opened" and get it updated.

I have checked installation information at http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/The_LinkStation_firmware_flasher but it's not completely specific to the HD-H250LAN. Specifically, there is not way to directly connect it to a computer (without cracking the case and patching in a serial port.) Access is only via CAT5 cable and network connection. The HD-H250LAN does not (seem) to have an open telnet port so I don't think I can use the "manual flash" approach.

Questions
    1. Can I safely flash the firmware from a computer over a network through a LinkSys router?
    2. Is http://buffalo.nas-central.org/download/LS2_MIPSel/Distributions/Openlink/ the correct flash image to use for the HD-H250LAN?
    3. Can HD-HLAN FWUpdate.exe be executed and used successfully from inside a Wine 1.0 session under Linux? (I have doubts but no Windows box here.)
    4. Other than turning off firewalls, am I missing anything else?

Thanks in advance for any assistance,
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

0, you've got an LS1/PPC, with a manual crossover switch, right?

1, why not

2. No! See above.

3. I don't think so.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

0. andre starts with _the crucial poin_t - you need to know whether your box is an LS1 or LS2. I was thinking that the LS1 never got the 250GB hdd, so I lean towards it being either an LS2, but you don't describe the back of the box (yet), and I'm rusty on my facts about the preARM machines ... you'll have to be certain on way or the other...

1. I've nearly always flashed across/through routers and have never had a problem, but you must make sure all firewall/restrictions are down... I think somewhere I may have read that a direct connection is more certain ... but loads of us do it any way.

2. Like he says, it depends on 0.

3. I don't have Windows currently, but I've used it under Wine dozens of times, for the LSProV1 an V2 - never had a problem. Never used the LS2 os LSHG updaters under Wine, because I had Windows back then.

4. Not that I'm aware of, but its good to reread the docs and mentally rehearse before you do this. **Afterthought : back up any data you want to keep. It is most likely safe, but you can never be sure.. Gone data is gone.

BTW, that linux box may come in very handy if flashing goes poorly and you need to get access to the hdd.

good luck!

KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:58 pm 

There is no cross over switch on the back of the device (I checked - twice.)

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:34 pm 
Site Admin

So you feel its an LS2?

My HG has the sticker on the back that says MODEL HD-HG250LAN as opposed to what you state in your first post.

KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:00 pm 

(Apologizes for the brevity of my last response - had to go grocery shopping with the girlfriend....)

The Maintenance | System version reports to be 2.05 which I believe makes it an LS2. I don't believe it's an HG though, just HD-H250LAN (checked this detail again just now - twice.) :) I hasn't the cross over switch (no "X" icon), just an "init" ("reset") button on the back, two USB ports (one front, one back).

I am using this page http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/Category:LS2 as my reference to which device I have and thus how to proceed.

But, no, there is no "G" in the model number and only a "(f)" in tiny letters at the very end of the bolded model number. Example: HD-H250LAN (f) and "Made in Japan" on the fan grill.

So, LS2 or LS1 variation? I think LS2 but I'm asking...

Regards,
Mike

PS Thanks for everyone responses. Feels like a community. :-)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:29 am 
Site Admin

Firmware 2.05 sounds like an LS2 indeed. It was a good idea to double-check this :)

As for WINE, it sure sounds interesting, I don't anyone has tried it yet. Make sure you don't block the network traffic. One could also use QEMU I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:00 pm 

Sorry to reopen my thread. I didn't complete the task of opening my HD-H250LAN but this weekend seems the right time to get it finished.

I still had some doubts about my device type. I have take photos (front and back) and a snap shot of the sysinfo screen. I want to verify that I have identified the correct hardware [ LS2 ] (I would hate to make a brick out of it.)

Question 1: using the following urls, do I have an LS2 HD-H250 If not, what do I have?
http://www.mercuryws.biz/temp/Buffalo%20HD-H250LAN%20Photos/sysinfo.cgi.html
http://www.mercuryws.biz/temp/Buffalo%20HD-H250LAN%20Photos/front.jpg
http://www.mercuryws.biz/temp/Buffalo%20HD-H250LAN%20Photos/back.jpg

Question 2:Where do I find the Windows executable to flash the firmware? The last URL I had doesn't seem to have the executable.

Question 3: has the recent breakage in the Debian SSH key generator bug been fixed/proven-not-broken for the recent distributions of the firmware?

Thanks for your assistance,
Mike