Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:39 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:08 pm 

Hi folks!
It's been quite a while since I visited to nas-central.org,
you guys at linkstationwiki.net (remember that time, andyn, bender and friends?) didn't had 2.6-kernel yet running, but custom 2.4's. I see the forum ain't that active anymore, at least on mipsel-side, which is a shame.

Anyway, today I'm happy to report my SUCCESS with 2.6.22 and LinkStation 2 (mipsel), upgraded to Debian Squeeze. And I consider myself "intermediate" user, not a "kernel pro" or such. This gives me the encourage to try even my own kernels, now that i have a working 2.6.

Here's what I did, step-by-steak:
I chose to do a fresh install on a device not enabled with uboot. I won't cover it's installation here, do a search on this forum.

1. Install freelink with 2.4-kernel. get a computer with netcat.
2. Install Uboot and see if it works.
3. move your 2.4-series /vmlinuz to /boot and name it to indicate it's 2.4 :)
4. download 2.6-kernel, module-init-tools and kernel-modules on your LS2. extract to /, it shouldn't mess up directories, but you may wanna backup.
5. move /vmlinuz (now it's 2.6-series) to /boot whith a name indicating it's 2.6.
6. copy /boot/<2.4-kernel> /vmlinuz , so default kernel will be 2.4-series, just in case.
7. shutdown your ls.
8. set your netcat-computer to 192.168.11.149/24
9. type in: netcat -u -p 6666 192.168.11.150 6666, hit it and start your LS (quickly i prefer).
10. stop boot waiting with s and you'll drop to => .
11. => setenv hdfile boot/< the 2.6 >
=> run hdboot
It's IP is what it was set normally. see uname -a and if it's 2.6, repeat 7-10.
12. Now, let's create separate bootsequences for booting a 2.4 or 2.6.
=> setenv 26load setenv hdfile boot/kernel-2.6
=> setenv 24load setenv hdfile boot/kernel-2.4
(a) => setenv bootcmd1 run 24load hdboot
(b) => setenv bootcmd2 run 26load hdboot
=> saveenv [and check. repeat previous command if something got lost. I had such issues.]
=> reset
13. You now should be able to boot kernel 2.4 as default and 2.6 with 2reds (two short reds repeatedly at bootwait, if power is pressed).
14. When you're ready for 2.6-kernel as default, go through 7-10+12, but in 12, flip a and b to cmd1 -> 2.6 and cmd2 -> 2.4, ofcourse and step 13 is also flipped.

Go ahead and upgrade your debian,
but !!!DON'T TOUCH your kernel modules, kernel itself, NOR module-init-tools!!!
I wanted to be extra cautious, so before each reboot between upgrades I extracted the "nas-central-made" module-init-tools to /.

Freelink is debian Sarge, so there's a long way ahead. I took apart meny extra packages and then went Sarge->etch->lenny->Squeeze. Could one just jump from Sarge to Squeeze without breaking it?

HAPPY HACKING ;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:58 pm 

Quote:
The udev version in squeeze requires a kernel of version 2.6.26 or newer with the CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED option disabled
source

...and you have no problems with kernel 2.6.22?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:37 pm 

No problems. Just be sure to extract module-init-tools each time it may get upgraded. If you can't load modules, try running depmod.

Today I upgraded to 2.6.30.4. Everything is working, though i get blinking "disk full", when sda1 is 58% and sda3 is 1% used.. but that's not a problem, since my ls2 is not useless anymore :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:43 pm 

My upgrade is in progress...

You can "pin" specific versions of packages so that they won't get upgraded. Here's what I added to /etc/apt/preferences before doing the dist-upgrade:
Code:
Package: module-init-tools
Pin: version 3.4*
Pin-Priority: 1001

Otherwise it would have been upgraded.

edit: Well, somehow my ssh connection broke while apt-get was installing/configuring the new packages. I could re-connect and had to call "dpkg --configure -a".

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:51 pm 

Well, the upgrade seems to work pretty fine, but I have 2 problems now:

* the fan is not controllable anymore with "echo -n 'XXXX' >/dev/ttyS0", the same for any other ttyS0 command
* I replaced mt-daapd with forked-daapd but meanwhile it's been running for 20h and still initializes the database eating up 95% CPU

edit: But the overall performance seems to be higher now. The shell's response is better than before, even under load.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:58 pm 
Site Admin

Try /dev/ttyS1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:05 pm 

I get an input/output error when writing to /dev/ttyS1. I think that's okay since ttyS1 is the correct device for the LS1, but not for the LS2.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:40 pm 

At least I could figure out the following error of forked-daapd:
Quote:
[2011-02-15 22:26:56] raop: Couldn't make timing socket: Address family not supported by protocol
[2011-02-15 22:26:56] raop: Couldn't make control socket: Address family not supported by protocol

That happens when module af_packet is not loaded. And that was the case. So you have to put af_packet into /etc/modules so that Debian will load it at boot time.

Oh, and I figured out that module-init-tools doesn't need to be kept from Lenny ...well, maybe you have to keep it if you're using a completely different kernel, but davygravy's 2.6.30.5 works better with module-init-tools from Squeeze (because ipv6 is being loaded automatically now).