Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 12:01 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: extending hda1
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:27 pm 

Hi all sorry me again.

I have my LS running freelink and with the help of lb_worm have samba running fine and shares accessed by XP.
Last night i thought i would start looking at media servers and followed some install guides. But half way through installation i ran out of space on hda1. I had a quick look and saw that this partition was only allocated 365mb and the rest to hda2.

Not knowing too much about Linux when i installed freelink i just used the flasher and didn't give any thought to partition sizes. I have read the articale on how to free some space on hda1, but feel that 365mb is too small really for what i want and i don't want to mess about shifting and linking files etc.

So, the question really is should i start again with the freelink install with a larger sized partition for hda1? I'm happy with the process now but not 100% sure what i should be doing as a prerequisite to change the sizes? Also, does the flasher / install look for certain size partitions etc.

If there are any pointers or someone can point me to a guide i would be graterful.

Many thanks

M

Post subject: Re: extending hda1
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:04 pm 

actually, i have just discovered i have no hda2 is this normal? So no swap then? Any help appreciated.

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda1 365M 365M 0 100% /
/dev/hda3 229G 40G 190G 18% /mnt/hda

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:51 pm 

Hi,

I'm only new at this too, but I found that there are some very handy hints on the wiki:

http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Freeing_up_space_on_hda1

Once you've cleaned up and move /usr you'll have plenty of space.

HTH,
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:40 am 

Hi Mike - thanks for your reply.

Did you just move the /usr or did you follow the whole guide? All i want to do is get torrentflux (or simular) on there and Twonky. Twonky is on there now running fine - just not enough space for the dependancies of the torrentflux.

Cheers

M

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:44 pm 

I followed most of the guide, didn't move /var though. I stopped at the moving of /usr.

HTH,
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:56 pm 

m0nk3y, These are the steps that I took to increase the size of the hda1 partition on my Mipsel LS2 & I can confirm that they worked for me 100%.

Firstly I followed some of this guide to give me an idea of where to start, http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Res ... ic_live_cd

This guide was good for most of what I wanted to do but I had some issues which I managed to get round so ill list my process from start to finish here.

1. Connected my LS2 hard disk to my PC on the primary IDE cable & disconnected all of my other hard drives (to avoid inadvertently wiping them) booted of the parted magic Live CD found here http://downloads.sourceforge.net/parted ... ror=freefr

2. Ran parted magic from the desktop icon & deleted all the partitions on my LS2, you can either right click & choose delete or left click & use the del key on your keyboard ***Make sure you backup what you need first obviously as all the data on /dev/hda1 & /dev/hda3 will be lost)

3. Connected my LS2 hard disk as normal & ran the freelink install to reload debian, (it usually takes me 2 attempts until it works) once I'd flashed it I logged in as admin over SSH to 192.168.11.150 & changed the resolve.conf & network interface files as required & then shutdown the Linkstation & reconnected to my PC as I had done in step 1.

4. Boot into parted magic again to start the resize process, but first you have to deal with the magic number issue which prevents /dev/hda1 from being mounted details can be found here http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Fix_ext2_magic & the file you need can be downloaded here http://downloads.buffalo.nas-central.or ... 1.1.tar.gz

5. To gain internet access I just ran the Start Network icon which found my NIC & ran DHCP to obtain an ip address, fantastic.

6. Open a Terminal by clicking the ROXTerm icon on the desktop & then you can download fix_ext2_magic with wget http://downloads.buffalo.nas-central.or ... 1.1.tar.gz & untar it with tar -zxvf fix_ext2_magic_i386-1.1.tar.gz

7. Then run ./fix_ext2_magic --fix /dev/hda1 (where /dev/hda1 is you / partition) you can then mount /dev/hda1 & browse it if you like, I then ran parted magic as follows

8. Once you can see /dev/hda1 in parted magic as ext3 you’re good to go with the resizing of that partition, I personally choose 6.5GB for /dev/hda1, 512MB for /dev/hda2 & the rest for /dev/hda3 but I guess you could partition it as you see fit.

9. When in parted magic you should right click & delete the /dev/hda3 & /dev/hda2 partitions & then right click the /dev/hda1 partition & choose resize, like I said I entered 6500 in the New Size Box (middle box) & hit enter this gave me a partition of 6.2GB for hda1, I then Right clicked on the unused space & selected New choose Linux Swap for the Filesystem type & entered 512 in the New Size box, then you right click on the unused space again & select ext3 as the Filesystem type using the remainder of the drive which will become your /dev/hda3 & /mnt/hda in linux.

10. Once these steps have been completed & before you hit the apply button just check that everything is as you would like for me the partitions were, /dev/hda1 ext3 6.2GB, /dev/hda2 linux-swap 512MB, /dev/hda3 ext3 about 223GB, than apply the setup & let parted magic do its thing (should take about 10-15mins on a 250GB disk.

11. One last thing is that when I put my Linkstation back together & booted it for the first time the /dev/hda3 partition would fail to mount & the disk full LED constantly flashed red, I found that if you run /sbin/mkfs -t ext3 /dev/hda3 let linux format the partition & then reboot it sorts the problem out, hope this guide helps & isn't to long just thought this would help you out & I know it has worked for me several times, not failed once. Good luck.

12. Also you could just start from step 4 after connecting your Linkstation drive to your PC & run the magic number fix then resize with parted magic this would save you reloading linux & setting up all your servers again which should also work fine, (Just make sure you backup /dev/hda3 first as the data would be lost)

Paul.