Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:39 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:11 pm 

OK, so I flashed my linkstation after reading all the instructions and ignoring the warnings about bricking the device :-O

Unfortunately, mid-update, I get a message saying that the firmware update failed. I was expecting this, as the instructions warned me. I turned the linkstation off, and back on, it whirs, and clicks, and the two green lights come on. I can't find it through the network, and am worried that it is bricked. I have tried the EM mode IP address, and run an IP address scanner but it seems not to be communicating. Is there anyway to see what state it is in? I don't have the right USB cable to connect the device directly to a PC, would that help to reflash? Currently, the firmware updater does not find the linkstation.

Help!! Many thanks,
Mike

Post subject: Re: Flash Update Failed
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:18 am 
Site Admin

what firmware were you flashing it with?

FreeLink, OpenLink or stock?

KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:33 pm 

Freelink Mipsel based, I've got the HD-H160LAN.

I was wondering, is it possible to fix a box by taking the hard drive out, plugging it into another PC and putting the image directly onto it, then putting it back in the linkstation? I currently can't communicate with the box at all.

Regards,
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:37 pm 
Site Admin

I have done just that on several occasion. You can try it.

There are direction in the wiki on how to open the box up... in the Article section in the LS2 category, I think.

Good luck!

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:54 pm 

Mike are you sure you can't get into it? i had the same problem but the box had gone back to the default ip address of 192.168.11.150 (from memory)

I connected my laptop to it set the IP of the laptop to something in the same subnet and was able to SSH (putty) to it with root access - download winscp if you wan to see the files graphically - if you can you will see your file in one of the mnt shares - hope it helps but all may not be lost - fingers crossed fro you.

M

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:33 pm 

I've dismantled the box, and have direct access to the hard drive via a USB connector to my PS3 with Yellow Dog. I've got my files back! I could do with some detailed help putting the new image onto the HD, where it goes and what tools to use to extract it etc, I'm not too bad with windows PCs, but I'm very new to linux.

Thanks for your help so far, fingers crossed for the next bit!
Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:25 pm 

did you check the IP address - in the interfaces file /etc/network? I think if you can get it back on the network the firmware updater is the easiest approach..

M

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:19 am 

Yep, definitely couldn't communicate through the EM IP address or any other, my DHCP server list does not contain an entry for the linkstation, and a full subnet port scan (Angry IP) came up with nothing.

Hence my brutal manual approach, but I need help!!
Thanks all,
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:03 pm 
Site Admin

Well, you will probably want to save your data (on hda3) ... you can copy that over to some other hard drive.

Once you get that done, you could just try wiping the hdd, put it back in and let the LSUpdater reinstall whatever firmware you had in it...

Ohh, BTW, what do the LED lights say? They usually give an indication of what type of problem there is... http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Inf ... /MIPSelLED can spell this out for you ...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:48 am 

I've been working on this all morning, to no avail.

The LEDs both come on, the power one flashes for a few moments then goes solid, and if I have it plugged into my router the Link LED is continuously on green.

I have tried deleting everything from the HD and ran the LS updater, my ls is still not found. I tried to go manual and untarred the image.dat/tmpimg.tgz file to the hard disk then put it all back together but still nothing.

What should I try next?!! When connected via USB to my computer nothing registers either, so I'm not sure how I might change the firmware, all I've been able to access so far is the HD contents.

BTW, I've been trying to install Freelink, would I likely have better luck reinstalling the original 2.05 OS?

Many thanks, my patience with this is running thin, and I'd rather not have to fork out £180 for a linkstation with DLNA!

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

Mike, just checking/thinking out loud here...

Are you 100%:
- sure this is an LS2 and not an LS1? (does it have a crossover cable switch in the back?)

-all firewalls down (especially if you are in Windows)?

- ...and I'm wondering if there is something else we could check...

- it is a known good ethernet cable?

To me, your box doesn't sound bricked, you just aren't able to reach it through the network, perhaps.

Do you have some sort of network scanner like NMAPFE or AutoScan-Network? (these are available for free in Linux) With one of these you could scan to see if : A) it is present on your network, and B) which ports are open.

The blinking lights/LEDs also give a clue.
Quote:
The LEDs both come on, the power one flashes for a few moments then goes solid, and if I have it plugged into my router the Link LED is continuously on green.

Are you saying that when you have it attached directly/cabled to your computer, the Link/Act LED _isn't_ on, but when connected to your router, that same LED is lit? If so, you have a problem w/ your ethernet setup on your computer, possibly/probably.

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:05 pm 

Right! I missed the importance of changing my computer subnet to .11. before trying to ssh. I made it in to the box! I still don't know where I stand though!

I changed the root password as suggested, and then tried to change my network settings to use dhcp. I altered /etc/network/interfaces (through ssh) to read:

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
      hostname `hostname`

Then rebooted. Now I get a regularly blinking link light and no connection again! I assume it's looking for a dhcp server to give it an ip, but it's not communicating with my router (on 192.168.1.1).

I changed the files again on the hard disk through the direct connection on the PS3, but they looked different to what I had put, and made no difference when I submitted static ip settings. Has the ls been booting from flash and not the hd?

Where's it gone now!! Hmph. Thanks for all your help so far.
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:50 pm 
Site Admin

I guess my strongest advice would be to get that network scanner operational... like NMAPFE or AutoScan-Network. That way you can see what's out there.

Also a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 for both your router and your desktop/laptop can make it easier to get things to work...

The fixed ip should work OK, and might be actually easier to deal w/ ... that way you always know where it is.

Code:
# we always want the loopback interface
#
auto lo eth0
iface lo inet loopback
# static ip setup
#
iface eth0 inet static
   address 192.168.1.100
   netmask 255.255.0.0
   broadcast 192.168.255.255
   network 192.168.1.0
   gateway 192.168.1.1

these are not my actual network settings, but some alteration of them... (of course its alway a bit dodgy to post one's settings in the open for the world to see...)...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:14 pm 
Betatester

If you rebooted dhcp wouldn't work and you'd be locked out:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14596

(is there not a note about this on the freelink setup page?)

use andres set up after installing dhcpcd or pump

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:14 pm 

Thanks for all your help everyone, after learning loads about partitions in linux, having to use fix_ext2_magic, mounting drives and enabling write access, also about the knoppix live cd and superuser access via console, I managed to access the hidden partition and change the settings back to static. I also realised that fix_ext2_magic won't run on PS3, wrong chip architecture!

The short of it is, I'm back in the game! I'm just updating via apt-get now, and following the instructions properly! Hopefully I'll get my DLNA server, bittorrent client and shares set up over the next few weeks. If I have problems, I'll know where to come.

Thanks again,
Mike