Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:42 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:33 am 

Hi,

I have a problem with my LinkStation 2 and am a bit out of ideas; the LS has been running fine for around 1,5-2 years, currently with Debian etch on it. It is configured to use a static IP address from my local LAN range. I had to shut it down last weekend because of a power shutdown. Normally not a problem, or so I thought.

The LinkStation now still boots up (Power LED is active, green and does not blink), during boot-up the Link/Act LED blinks until after some time it stops to blink (i.e. it keeps active, green). I can hear the HDD working during startup, and to me the LEDs look like they always have looked during the bootup sequence.

However I can no longer ping the LinkStation; the Buffalo tools (NasNavi, Firmware Updater) do not find any LinkStation on the network.

Any ideas how I can re-establish contact with it, or what the reason might be that I suddely cannot contact it? Apart from normal updates via aptitude (upgrade/update) I did not install anything recently, the only major thing was an SSH upgrade I think. But I would never have expected the box to lose connectivity completely.

Any advice is appreciated!

Kind Regards,
Torsten

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:31 pm 

Hi,

forgot to mention that I used the swappart trick some time ago; I was just able to attach the HDD to my PC via USB and can access the data via ext2ifs. I checked the debian logs (mainly kernel), I however can't see what is wrong with the installation. Is there anything in particular that might prevent the box from initializing TCP/IP or which might have caused an IP change? Is it possible to find out for which IP the system is configured when I can only access the system offline?

Kind regards,
Torsten

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:20 pm 
Site Admin

If networking is active, you should be able to see the device w/ a network scanner ... if you are using DHCP then it may have a new ip address.

Do I understand you to say that you mounted its ext2/3 filesystem on a Window's box? Did you remember to unmount it before disconnecting?

carfesh wrote:
... Is it possible to find out for which IP the system is configured when I can only access the system offline?
Torsten

Yes, if you have it mounted again you could look at /etc/network/interfaces ... that would be where either static or dhcp is defined.

KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:16 pm 

Quote:
Do I understand you to say that you mounted its ext2/3 filesystem on a Window's box? Did you remember to unmount it before disconnecting?

Well, now that's strange. By unmount you mean remove the drive letters in the ext2ifs control panel? I only unmounted it via the Windows "Safely remove hardware" feature and now the volumes are still detected on Windows (as fs-type linux, swap etc.) but no volume is readable on Windows, it's complaining that they weren't formatted. I just booted the LS up with the HDD, it still boots fine (atleast it looks that way) but Windows does no longer read the partitions. Guess I'll need a LiveCD to revive them?

I just performed a test using Wireshark with the LinkStation attached directly to my notebook. It's completely silent, there's no communication from it on the wire neither when it boots up nor afterwards.

I guess I'll download a LiveCD and try to take a look into the mentioned file and the apt-cache to see if I find a hint. The box was configured for a static IP, not DHCP. However a DHCP server is also available and would grant the same IP to the LS. I also verified that the cable is ok (and the link LED also shows that a link exists).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:23 am 

Hi,

for some reason my /etc/network/interfaces said:

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.2
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        broadcast 192.168.1.255
        gateway 192.168.1.1

I changed it to:

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.2
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        broadcast 192.168.1.255
        gateway 192.168.1.1

Is it correct that it needs to say "auto eth0"? I just found that by chance in other examples of the file.

Now I can ping the LinkStation and everything works fine, except ssh. I can webmin to the box, but telnet only works as user, not root. Is there any way to re-gain access to ssh? Apparently something must have gone wrong with the ssh upgrade.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:15 am 

Ok, so via webmin I was able to re-activate the ssh service, now everything is running fine again. Time for a backup of the debian partition.. thanks!