Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:23 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:56 pm 

I'm preparing myself for replacing the kernel of my debianized LS-WVL.

Currently I'm running the Debian 6 (squeeze) with the orginal Buffalo kernel (2.6.31.8) initrd and u-boot. But I'm afraid of killing my system, or wasting a lot of time to restore in case. So I'm thinking about recovery-strategies.

My basic idea is to keep the original kernel and initrd on the hard-drive. In case of failure, get access to the box somehow and move the original files back in place -- more make uBoot boot the other image. So as a worst, time-consuming case, I'm plugging the hard-disk to another machine and mount and fix there.

So for quicker solutions, here is a bunch of questions:

1. Can I make the original u-Boot to fetch the kernel and/or initrd via tftp? E.g. by changing the u-Boot environment.
  2. Can I connect to u-Boot via network to interrupt booting and change the boot-image on the fly?
  3. Can I connect to u-Boot via the build-in USB-connector? E.g. by changing it's mode in the u-Boot environment and connecting some special cable?
  4. Is there a description on how to add a serial connector to the LS-WVL (or related) which is usable for a layperson like me and does not require SMD soldering (I've read viewtopic.php?f=79&t=25243, but did not really understand it.)
  5. Does anybody see another way I did not see?
  6. Does anybody see a completely different strategy?

I promise to record my results and experiences in the wiki (as I already did.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:34 pm 

Hi issuer,

I'm pretty sure, that u-boot has no USB access, so my answer would be:

3.) no
2.) yes, I think I used netcat to connect to u-boot ...but it's 2 or 3 years ago, so I'm not sure anymore; anyway: I found all ressources to do that here
1.) yes, I'm sure I had a tftp server running on my PC and the LS booted from it - but I'm not sure if it was the original u-boot version; might have already been an upgraded one

Whatever you do: good luck! And if you have a working kernel in the end >2.6.35.11 please leave me a note/link.