Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:52 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: usb file gadget support?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:17 am 
Total Newbie

I have the old original terastation (from like 2005). gotten the telnet access working on it, liking the expandability, so far.. well this got me wondering, what would it take to convert this relatively slow NAS into a relatively fast (DAS) direct attached storage (perhaps say via usb), considering I only mainly need it on one host.

After contemplating if this was even possible, i did some research, and i realize user-land apps won't be able to cut it. I finally ran into the usb-gadget framework for linux. Seems they've had kernel modules to do something like this for a while, too bad it just slightly predates the 2.4.20 kernel my terastation comes with. as of 2.4.27 they had storage-gadget support, and I'm specifically talking about the g_file_storage module.

Was even toying around with cross compilation of the kernel (only really interested in building the module for this powerpc architecture). Got it compiled, copied over, but now I seem to be stuck at figuring out how to get the module to load (and hopefully work). Per this page, I may need a controller driver before i can load the mass-storage-emulating driver tho..

so my question is, does anyone know if this is even possible with the USB controller in my terastation? (NEC D720101GJ)