Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:03 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Backups
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:51 pm 
Total Newbie

I want to be more proactive in backups in that I need a daily incremental backup five days a week, then on sat do a 1st and 3rd week incremental backup, on Sunday do a 2nd and 4th week incremental backup and to top it all do a monthly incremental backup once a month. Not very difficult but very time consuming as there are between 5 - 10 folders every time so it searches and takes ages and forever logging me out. Can't it be simplified by searching once for all files and all backup folders then just a simple tick box before it creates the backup and also the ability to copy a backup settings. Last but not least there is an option to create a backup folder but it just calls itself _backup rather than the backup name.eg A backup called Monday should create a folder called Monday_backup.

Post subject: Re: Backups
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:04 am 

I don't think this is the best subforum for questions like this.
Can't give you any advise, but have you ever tried to restore
data from your backup?
It is a common "failure" of people to make backups, but never
do the restore BEFORE they got problems.
A backup is worth nothing, if you can't restore your data.
Ymmv.

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

RAID (no matter which level) never ever substitutes a backup. (me)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:03 am 
Total Newbie

Yes the restores work fine. Apologies if I've posted in the wrong section. I thought it was for the software developers to see if they could modify the backup procedure to makes things easier. Do you know the correct sub-forum for this?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:35 pm 

If you want to address the developers responsible for the
backup features of your Linkstation, you should post in a
forum managed by Buffalo.
This forum here is NOT a forum sponsored or driven by Buffalo,
but a "private" owned forum, dealing with Buffalo NAS boxes
(and others).

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

RAID (no matter which level) never ever substitutes a backup. (me)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:36 am 
Total Newbie

want to be more proactive in backups in that I need a daily incremental backup five days a week, then on sat do a 1st and 3rd week incremental backup, on Sunday do a 2nd and 4th week incremental backup and to top it all do a monthly incremental backup once a month. Not very difficult but very time consuming as there are between 5 - 10 folders every time so it searches and takes ages and forever logging me out. Can't it be simplified by searching once for all files and all backup folders then just a simple tick box before it creates the backup and also the ability to copy a backup settings. Last but not least there is an option to create a backup folder but it just calls itself _backup rather than the backup name.eg A backup called Monday should create a folder called Monday_backup.
:ugeek: :biglol: