Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:17 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:31 pm 
Site Admin

sorry for the crossposting....but i do not want to start new important topics in this forum as we do not know how long this forum lasts really.....also i can`t make a topic sticky here....

here is the link:
http://www5.atwiki.jp/kuro-bsd/pages/132.html

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:12 am 

Hi there,

as the new forum is not available anymore, can you let us know the status of this ?

Thanks,
kind regards

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

nothing has been done till now.

i hope i find the links again.....

but at least i have those binaries.

the next step we had to do is compiling the 2.4.20_sandpoint kernel from buffalo.

then try if the mips-loader.o loads it.

if yes, then the loader works.

as a next step we would have to port the arch-specific stuff of the 2.6-kernel for mips....the same that was done by the kurobox-patch.

after that we are at the same level of development as with the ppc-linkstations.

is there anyone that has a LS2 (mips) and can try to compile a working kernel with the mips-GPL-source available from the downloadsection?

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 3:38 pm 
Site Admin

to port the arch specific stuff of the 2.6-kernel i would download the 2.4.20-kernel from www.kernel.org and then look what differences there between the buffalo-2.4.20-kernel and the original 2.4.20.

this differences should be the stuff that is needed for the 2.6-kernel.

i expect that there will be the ext2/ext3-magic-number (of course), but we can use the melfs-patch javascout created as this is generic arch-independent stuff. so this work is already done.

we only really need to port the arch-specific-stuff (mips).....maybe there is not that much work to do.

at the moment we have more work to get this wiki + forum running in another location...tommorow evening (europe) will be the moment when we finally act.....if frontalot doesn`t not show up i will register a new account at www.powweb.com and the migration of the content starts again.

i hope many of you will help....then we have everything online again soon.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 10:44 pm 
Site Admin

look at this link:

use this if you want to decipher it to broken english:
http://www.google.com/language_tools

a new loader.o for mips is there. the word "ALPHA" is missing so they let me assume that it works

also there is tutorial for compiling the kernel and loading it with loader.o.

i need someone with a LS2 (mips) to try to compile the kernel as described and then tries to load the kernel.
if it works we are much closer to get the 2.6-kernel running as we then definitely know that we can load selfcompiled kernels.

isn`t there one out there with a LS2 that wants to help me?

then we can go on and try to modify the kernel-source as needed.

look to http://unet.univie.ac.at/~a0025690

i have just added two links.

i created some diffs between the 2.4.20-kernel from www.kernel.org and the 2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation (which is inside the GPL-Package for the LS2...http://buffalo.nas-central.org/downlo ... hdhlan.zip)

1) a "arch/mips"-folder-diff

direct link:
http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0025690/kernel_diff.txt

2) a "kernel"-diff

direct link:
http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0025690/arch_mips_diff.txt

there are quite some differences.

what do you guys think about? i mean...is it possible to adapt the new 2.6-kernel the way that it boots on the LS2?
or is it too much work?

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:58 pm 

Parts of the diffs look as if they are from Alan Cox's 2.4 "ac" branch, and other parts look as if things have been back-ported from 2.5 (maybe also by Alan Cox via his ac branch, I really don't remember branch contents by heart).

Regarding an LSII. Mine is "in production", and I can't upset the current users, sorry.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:04 pm 
Betatester

is there anyone that has a LS2 (mips) and can try to compile a working kernel with the mips-GPL-source available from the downloadsection?

I've a LS2 - unfortunately I've got more than zero experiance with compiling kernels!!

I'll use it if no-one else with better knowledge comes up, or theres a fool proof howto

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:10 pm 
Site Admin

look here:

there is a step by step tutorial. i modified it a bit because of the suggestions of andre. See below.

the only thing you have to be carefull is that you cannot extract it to /usr/src....you have to extract it somewhere on hda3.

i would suggest you create an additional folder on hda3 and "mount --bind" it to /usr/src.....then it seems to the system as if it was normaly there...

you can follow this

1) install andre`s bootloader

2) compile the kernel
* Get the kernel source (linux-2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation.tar.gz) in gpl_mipsel-hdhlan.zip.
* Extract it.
* Copy the "sample_config/defconfig-linkstation-hlanv2" (in my archive) as ".config".
* "make oldconfig"
* "make dep"
* "make vmlinux"
* "objcopy -O binary vmlinux /bootII/vmlinuxII.bin"

then it is time to test if it works...

ask some questions if something is unclear, i will try to support you.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

Two remarks: I would go with an uncompressed kernel (make vmlinux, not make zImage); and I would use my bootloader, as it's never advisable to use insmod directly (objcopy -O binary vmlinux /bootII/vmlinuxII.bin, not objcopy -O binary zImage zImage.bin)

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:29 pm 
Site Admin

hmmm. we do not need to compile the kernel from source for testing.

there is one that can be downloaded directly there:

http://www5.atwiki.jp/kuro-bsd/?cmd=upload&act=open&pageid=132&file=zImage.bin

you would only have to put the mips-loader.o in the same folder as this image and then:

insmod loader.o kernel=zImage.bin

then give use the output of

uname -a

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:33 pm 
Site Admin

Ouch: My bootloader requires either "kurobox" or "linkstation" in "uname -r" (CONFIG_LOCALVERSION) of the new kernel. So the kernel would boot once, and on your next boot, you would be using the old kernel. You must move /bootII/try_new_kernel.running manually to /bootII/try_new_kernel if you want to reboot into the new kernel the second time.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:37 pm 
Site Admin

opps. Good to see progress has been made with the MIPSEL!

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:07 pm 
Betatester

I've just put the zImage.bin and loader.o (from loader_mips.20060415.tar.bz2) into a folder and did insmod loader.o kernel=zImage.bin

root@LINKSTATION2:~# uname -a
Linux LINKSTATION2 2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation #41 Fri Apr 14 22:43:20 JST 2006 mips unknown

didn't reboot - got 6 lights but pressed the power button and it came back on showing

root@LINKSTATION2:~# uname -a
Linux LINKSTATION2 2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation #88 2005ǯ 2·ÃƒÂ® 25Æü ¶âÍËÆü 20:17:00 JST mips unknown

if it helps

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:08 pm 
Site Admin

looks like the loader.o is working. great.

i do not know why you got 6 lights but at least it worked.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:25 am 
Site Admin

I'll prepare a special bootloader that will test for the existence of "2006" in `uname -a`. It should be able to boot custom kernels for a while. Will keep you posted.