Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:06 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:55 pm 

Just been reading that Growl (for mac os X) now supports network notifications. I'd be cool if a developer out there managed to create a script that send notifications on completion of linkstation jobs. Been looking into it, but I can't seem to find anything.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:14 am 

That's not difficult, there are various 'growl' libraries for popular scripting languages. I prefer Ruby and http://segment7.net/projects/ruby/growl/ as I really like the language and I already installed it on my debianized box. It's very easy to use from the command line.

For OpenLink, it would probably be a good idea to have a look at the client at http://remotegrowl.erlang.no/ written in Perl, as that language is already included. Although it's not as nice and friendly as the Ruby version, it shouldn't be a problem to get it working.

If you really want to dig into that, then the most important step would be some kind of event monitoring for the things happening on your box, as most apps don't provide appropriate hooks for your "I'm finished" (or "I'm doing this now") messages. It won't be much of a problem if you want to do that for your box only, but it might get tricky if you want to do a real 'ipkg' package.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:57 am 

thanks ultravelours - I had a look at 'Remote Growl' but I just couldn't get it working, I gave it all the arguments it needed but it didn't seem to register with Growl, eventually I gave up.

Although I have got this working: http://the.taoofmac.com/space/Projects/netgrowl.py
However, this doesn't support command line options, so I'll give ruby-growl a look.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:28 pm 

Just in case anyone else out there uses a mac and want's to enable growl notifications from their LinkStation to a mac on the network running growl I've hacked around the netgrowl.py file to give two small stand alone apps.

growlnetreg: allows registering of GrowlNet to mac running growl server
growlnet: the actual sending of the growl notification

these apps can be found here: www.sixtyten.co.uk:81/LinkStation/GrowlNet.zip
Unzip the archive and put both files into a suitable directory, I put mine in /usr/bin (wait for unix scowl), move into that directory and chmod them to 755. To get GrowlNet to work you'll need to register it. I'm assuming you have Growl running on a mac on the local network, with network notifications turned on having it listen for incoming notifications, and also allowing remote application registration, and of course a password put in.

now:
./growlnetreg -p *put password in here matching that on the growl server* -i *put ip address of the mac running the growl server*

now, check your applications under Growl and GrowlNet should have appeared.

you can then use growlnet in /usr/bin to send notifications, just do:

./growlnet -t "Test Notification" -m "This is a test notification sent from LinkStation" -p *password* -i *ip address*

if you don't want to put in your password and ip address everytime, you can edit growlnet using your favourite text editor and enter default values.

Hope this is useful for someone. I use it to notify me when Transmission has finished downloading a torrent file.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:34 am 

Lee

Hopefully you or someone still reads this but I'd like to find the files mentioned. I have some good ideas for using my Linkstation XHL as a Growl box ;)