Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:32 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:01 pm 

Hi Guys,I have a LSII with marge's patched 2.05 firmware.I got some more tools to run on the Linkstation and wanted to start getting full Debian on it.Unfortunately, I messed up something on the /dev/hda1 partition and the LS doesn't boot anymore (green power LED blinking for quite some time, harddisk activity can be heard, then it starts blinking red).After several tries involving the INIT button, nothing changed. I can ping the LS on its default IP 192.168.11.150, but nothing else. The firmware updater doesn't see the LS either.I was able to connect the drive to computer running Knoppix and access the harddrives after fixing the magic number. All files are still there (uff ...).I switched the drive a couple of times between computer and LS - interestingly, I never had to fix the magic number again. Furthermore, I saw that the network configuration on the LS harddisk still shows my own settings, probably meaning that booting the LS doesn't even get to initialize the network (hence pinging the default ip is successful).The only way I can think of now is somehow rebuild /dev/hda1. Maybe there is a way to use an image.dat from a firmware (OpenLink being the only one I have available) on that partition? But how?And why doesn't the firmware updater see the drive (I connected it straight to my laptop, adjusting the ip settings of my laptop accordingly. As said, I can ping, but nothing else).Any ideas?ThanksMichaelMy knowledge of Linux is not enough to go on any further. Any help is

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:31 pm 

Puuh, I solved it! Smile)

I took the original firmware, extracted all files from image.dat and copied /bin, /usr/bin and /usr/sbin over to /dev/hda1.

And my LS came back to life!

So, I'm ready to start my next try installing Debian ...

Michael