Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:13 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:39 am 
Site Admin

An absolute path is given in the kernel loader script, your $PATH left untouched. If no /boot/insmod.$(uname -a) is found, the loader will use the system's insmod. Nothing is replaced on your system, just the old insmod is added to /boot/.

All this is based on the assumptions a) the old insmod is still functional with the new libc6, and b) the system is still somehow usable with kernel 2.4. Could you verify that please?

An alternative would be copy the OS to the data partition and adjust the new /etc/fstab. The advantange would be: The system still worked with kernel 2.4, and we could use PATA with /dev/hda3 resp. /dev/sda3 (the 2.6 root file system partition).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:05 pm 

andre wrote:
An absolute path is given in the kernel loader script
Is this part of functionality of loader.o or of the kernel itself? I tried using your insmod in combination with uboot, not with loader.o.
andre wrote:
a) the old insmod is still functional with the new libc6, and b) the system is still somehow usable with kernel 2.4
I can´t confirm any of those points myself, since I was never able to bring up my system with kernel 2.4 after I upgraded to Debian Lenny. However, I found some reports of working Lenny systems that are based of kernel 2.4 (but mostly on much newer versions >= 2.4.33).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:27 pm 
Site Admin

My kernel loader runs some "insmod loader.o" variation.

loader.o is, to date, specific to exactly one kernel 2.4 version; take a look at the tarball (/boot/loader*, /etc/default/boot*sample) for different loader.os compiled against different kernels. I do not know of other successful compilations of loader.o Linux modules than the ones coming with my kernel loader. Specifically, neither mindbender nor myself have been able to compile loader.o for LNI's 2.4.33.3-list.mg.2-v3/ppc, even though the kernel loader would be ready to use it.

The fallback to kernel 2.4 is the core of my kernel loader. If the stock kernel in flash ROM was no longer able to keep at least an emergency system running, the entire thing was obsolete, and to be replaced by UBoot.

http://hvkls.dyndns.org/downloads/docum ... oader.html

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:41 pm 

So I understand that loader.o will not help me if I´m not able to get kernel 2.4 running on my system again.

I´m currently already on u-boot & kernel 2.6 and happy with it, but it would be nice to have a way to get kernel 2.4 to boot on demand. This failed for me from the very beginning after I upgraded to kernel 2.6 and upgraded my Debian to Lenny immediately afterwards.

I thought a static insmod mightbe a solution, but I was not able to get 2.4 running with your insmod, neither with the static insmod provided by module-init-tools from the download section.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:29 pm 
Site Admin

Flashing would help you to get the stock kernel 2.4 back, which in turn could use loader.o to load 2.6 (not the other way around; there's no loader.o for 2.6 kernels, to my knowledge).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:59 pm 

2.4 works from uboot

Use this kernel, stock one will not work for various reasons:

http://buffalo.nas-central.org/download/Users/ ... kernel.elf

Click here for more information and donations

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:15 pm 

Sounds great, I´ll give it a try!

Did you do any flashing with this kernel?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:30 pm 

Yep, works.

In fact I believe this is the stock kernel in a different format so the stock modules should work too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:00 pm 

Sorry, does not boot properly for me!

Reason may be Debian Lenny again, but I see no difference to the "old" 2.4 kernel image.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:24 pm 

This kernel def works with uboot on ls2 - it is downloaded by the foonas-em installer for the ls2 as part of the freelink and openlink installations which work. My guess is some issue with your distribution or uboots configuration - sorry! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:24 pm 

I fully agree!

It seems to get stuck very early, the box is not pingable and seems not to mount disks (no logs, no timestamps changed).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:42 pm 
Betatester

A few questions. Some specific to this some not. But as there's only about 10 people in the LS2 community no-one'd mind. :?

1) It works, but you obviously need 2.4 in flash and cannot upgrade to Lenny because that will not understand a 2.4 kernel?

2) Can/would/could/does this work with your webinstaller andre?

3) Has anyone written an idiots guide to getting it running?

4) Was there an LS2 dev box (did it get lost)?

5) Anyone know if there is still a problem with u-boot for LS2 certain chip type?

6) Is Freelink really still beta?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:47 pm 
Site Admin

Bauldrick wrote:
A few questions. Some specific to this some not. But as there's only about 10 people in the LS2 community no-one'd mind. :?

1) It works, but you obviously need 2.4 in flash and cannot upgrade to Lenny because that will not understand a 2.4 kernel?

2) Can/would/could/does this work with your webinstaller andre?

3) Has anyone written an idiots guide to getting it running?

4) Was there an LS2 dev box (did it get lost)?

5) Anyone know if there is still a problem with u-boot for LS2 certain chip type?

6) Is Freelink really still beta?

1) yep, 2.6 is now mandatory for lenny as far as i know

2) somehow i doubt that...but maybe i am wrong.

4) http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.ph ... ment_Boxes

6) actually everything from us is either alpha or beta....very few things can be called stable...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:15 am 

Bauldrick wrote:

The problem is still there: Writing to the second half of the flash does not work (in fact is overwrites contents of the first half of the flash). LNI needs to do some changes/additions to uboot´s flash routines.
This problem is there for the STMICRO M29W324DB flash chip only.

But:
You can flash uboot itself without any problems (use the install instructions from LNIs page), since it is installed in the first half of the flash. You can then boot your kernel images from disk using uboot.
If you need to change some default settings in uboot (kernel image name or location), you may get into trouble again since the settings are stored in the second half of the flash. But you can avoid this when you specify your specific settings at compile time and build your own version of uboot. Everything is documented very well on LNIs website.

I use uboot and kernel 2.6 since September and I´m very happy with it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:40 pm 
Betatester

Cheers, maybe still a case of 'average Joe' being scared off then

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next