Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:28 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:18 pm 

Dear all,

I have installed Openlink and Wonkymedia on my LS2 (Mipsel) and had some problems with the SMB-access, so I installed NFS on the Linkstation (instruction from http://www.herz.in). Everything is working fine and very fast.

But I have a problem with the german umlauts. If I mount the shares on the Mac (using NFS Manager, because I'm to stupid to do it by hand) I haven't access to the files, which contains the german umlauts. The filename is cryptic and i.E. iTunes unable to Play the file.

Is there anybody, who can give me an hint, what to do, or how to mount it correctly ?

Thanks a lot,
Peter

Last edited by peternie on Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

most likely this has to do with the charset used.

which one do you use?

you can change this via the webinterface. unfortunately unicode/UTF isn`t supported.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8859

try ISO_8859-1, ISO_8859-15

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:42 pm 

Hi,

thanks for your tip, I can check it this evening, where can I find the Charset in the Webinterface on the LS2 ?

Would there be a problem with the other components (like SMB-using Windowsclients or Streamlingclients), which are working correct right now, if I change the charset ? I Think, this is only a problem with the NFS-access.

Thanks,
Peter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:34 pm 

peternie wrote:
where can I find the Charset in the Webinterface on the LS2 ?

I am not sure about your other questions but the "Character Code" setting on the LS1 (I am assuming the LS2 is very similar web interface) is under "Basic Setup"->"Date and Time Setup" at the end of the "Time and Date Settings" even though this has almost nothing to do with time and date really. Since there are no unicode settings like UTF-8 available I recommend ISO8859-1 AKA Latin 1 as that should support German umlauts among other western European characters.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:14 pm 

sorry,

the setting is still on 8859-1 and i tried the -15 setting as well, but there is no change. I really think, that I have to do something on the mac while mounting the share via NFS....

any other ideas ?

Peter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

No. My NFS (LS1, Debian etch NFS kernel server, en_US.UTF-8/Mac OS 10.4.10) works without any issue, FWIW. Don't mix NFS with anything else (SMB/CIFS)...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:41 pm 

Hi Andre,

you helped me last time with my smb-problem, didn't you (the morning restart thing of samba to enable the access from the mac).

can you explain me, how to disable the other stuff, I think, NFS is still the best solution for the linkstation using mac and windows-clients.

Peter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:29 pm 
Site Admin

You're the person owing me a beer, aren't you? ;) Hope your feet didn't get too wet in that heavy rain lately.

chmod 0644 /etc/init.d/atalk
chmod 0644 /etc/init.d/smb
reboot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:56 pm 

to make this thread complete. It works.

The change to NFS is only relevant to new files, you write on the Share. If you use Samba and wants to switch to NFS you could get problems with german umlauts. Workaround is to copy all files with SMB to your local disk, diable SMB activate NFS (to make sure, you connect with NFS) and copy back the files with NFS, so your Umlauts are correct on the share.

Peter