Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:25 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 9 Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:56 pm 

maik, was your install successful?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:47 am 

Does anyone else have a script with the changes made thats known to work?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:13 am 

All
I've just done all this, so I thought I'd share my experience so that others may make different mistakes than mine. I've a MIPS LSII.

First of all, I was unable to compile netatalk using openlink. I installed Berkeley fine, but netatalk gave me a stat() argument error. I did not investigate further. I then tried to go the ipkg route, but that caused me to bring out the screwdriver and call in some favors from a friend to let me use his desktop to recover. (i've only laptops here).

Also, I'm not comfortable with the 5 min. lock-out and booting from the big hda3 partition. I'm afraid that after a power outage or someone unplugging the machine, then I'd be locked out. Has anyone suffered this? How do you recover? (does it go into EM mode so that the installer will work, or do you have to find the screwdriver again?)

However, I've gotten an acceptable alternative, albeit not the most clean or efficient one. I've some other thoughts as well, but I'm happy for now. I tried compiling parted, but that failed as well, or at least the libraries did.

Mike171562, I've the script with the changes. I'm not sure it's Known To Work, but it worked for me. email me (mickey -at- srtdata.com) if interested. But have a computer and copy of knoppix handy!

Maik, did you get an answer to why swappart hda hda and not hda1 hda3? I was wondering that as well.

To start with, neither atalk nor smb worked well out of the box. The problems:
1) on the mac, I had the usual problems with atalk long filenames and large files, and smb slowness.
2) on the PC, I could not copy over files due to some too long filename, although I'm sure the command did not exceed 128 chars.
So, something had to happen. Here are the steps I'd recommend, while they're fresh in my head:

1) install openlink 0.52b
2) install the mipstools
3) download the script, and make sure to enter all the changes in PITS.
4) make sure you ahve a static IP to begin with, or at least make sure you use a static at some point. I don't like dhcp for servers anyway.
5) run the script. This takes a while
when you've done this, you should be able to run the chroot command or run the debil script and chroot that way. Once I was able to do this, I did not proceed much further with the excellent directions provided by marge.

Also, note that at some points the debil script stopped or was cancelled by me. If it was not finished, then I had to erase debinst/ and start over. (happily, I was not too deep into it.)

I now use debian within chroot only. I've modified the init.d scripts in openlink so that they do not start any services that I'll start in debian, and I've made a script in debian to start the services. I call chroot with that script rather than /bin/bash. I've also configured a second interface (eth0:1) which starts up only when debian starts (note that in debian for some reason 'network start' says that eth0:1 is already configured, although it is not. 'network restart' works better.

Another option, if you know that debian boots up fine, may be to call swappart hda3 hda1 from the debian startup scripts, and cancel it in the shutdown scripts. The idea is that, when debian starts, it swaps the partitions so that the small partition is the startup partition. this way if the thing crashes or is not shut down properly, it will reboot on the small/openlink partition. If, however, it shuts down correctly, it swappart's again so that it will boot again in the debian partition. But I personally feel that this is probably more chancy and sloppy than just running the servers from the chroot environment.

I have not ran any benchmarks to see what the difference is between running natively vs. chroot. I saw a noticeable performance decrease with debian/chroot/netatalk vs. openlink/atalk, about 4 minutes slower for a 500MB file, but this is based on the machine's estimate. Also, to me, although noticeable it is not significant.

I hope this helps someone, somewhere. Much thanks to everyone who's worked on this for their efforts!

mickey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:25 pm 

thanks mickey, I made the changes to the script myself and did the install, I did not have any poblems, when i was done with the install in chroot, i ran the swappart command as explained in the instructions and it worked fine. I'm using debian now and the main problems im having is with apt not finding packages. Im able to login using webmin, but proftpd fails to work and when i try to run apt-get install now im getting the error "E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)"
so im thinking about running swappart again, returning to openlink, deleting the debian and starting over.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:08 pm 

ok, i swapped back easily with "/tmp/swappart_mipsel /dev/hda /dev/hda" and now im back on openlink.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:51 pm 

mike###
sounds like sit could be a network problem with debian. perhaps default gateway or nameservers? can you ping any outside servers?

mickey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:42 pm 

another question: has anyone installed daapd on the debian installation? I was unable to do so.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:36 pm 

OK, i was able to install daapd (without howl and without mpeg4, for now). I had to install libid3tag0-dev, not just libid3tag0.
looks like i'll have to compile the mpeg4ip; I don't see a deb package for it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:19 am 

Hmm, I installed 'daapd' and 'howl' from Debian unstable, that wasn't a problem. IIRC all dependencies have been solved by the apt mechanism. I only use it for streaming to iTunes - why do you need 'mpeg4ip'? Just as a dependency to build 'daapd'?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:31 pm 

I'd use mpeg4 for aac support; it was my understanding that that was why it was needed. I've got it running without it now, and I'm happy :) I did not find either package searching on http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages . At any rate, I prefer to stay with the testing source rather than unstable, and have had bad luck swithcing to unstable and back.

Note also that using rsync to backup to a netatalk-mounted volume complains that chgrp is not supported. I've tried running a chgrp command on a file on the mounted volume, and I get "operation not supported". rsync over ssh (rsync -e"ssh -l mickey" ...~/ linkstation:backup/) works better and, I believe, faster?! (I get 1.214Mbps using rsync with rsync -e; I get 436.80Kbps with rsync to a network-mounted volume.) Of course this is doing updates and by no means conclusive, but it's interesting to note. And, of course, I can ssh-rsync from anywhere, not just the local network!

Y

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:32 pm 

hello!

i have installed debian manually (because script doesn't work correctly at my station).

debian works fine, i swapped partitions already. but now my station turns off after perhaps 5mins.
i CAN login via ssh! i CAN work on it! but it turns off after a while with a blinking diag-led (6 times).

what did i forget?

greetings lupla

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:10 pm 

> i CAN login via ssh! i CAN work on it! but it turns off after a while with a blinking diag-led (6 times).

Hmm. Usually that means the 'mc_ctld' doesn't run and the internal watchdog turns off the box. Look at the '/etc/init.d/' directory (and the appropriate rc?.d for startup files) to find the 'mc_ctld' program. You might also check with ' ps auxww | grep mc_ctld | grep -v grep' if this tool is running.

Did you turn off disc checks at boot time?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:01 am 

oh.. think that is the reason. i didn't configure mc_ctld to run
in which runlevel has it to be started? only 2?

no, id didn't turn off the checks. which entries do i have to remove in rc?.d?

debian is a long time ago :-/
but i'm learning again ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:19 am 

Lupla
rc2. On my box:
ls -l rc2.d/S95mc_ctld
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Dec 25 19:47 rc2.d/S95mc_ctld -> ../init.d/mc_ctld

I think you change the checks in fstab.

mickey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:43 am 

thanks a lot! i think that would solve my problem *g*

I think you change the checks in fstab.
oh yes! you are right. i forgot!
check=none that's for the fstab-entry of hda1 (the big partition after swapping)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 9 Next