Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:12 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 79 Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:16 pm 

OK. Something weird is happening. Re: hda busy - I killed selective processes until hda was not busy. I then realised I hadn't copied the right tools across so I had to remount and then unmount. Then swapped the partitions but it told me partition 1 and 2 had been swapped. Then I rebooted and ended up with a brick that did nothing at all. So I pulled the power all day.

Just downloaded Knoppix and started to burn. Was getting my screwdrivers out of the drawer. Thought I'd power up my LinkBrick again and start putty and it logged me in. How can this be?

Anyhow, I now see this:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Linux BUFFALO 2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation #88 2005ǯ 2·î 25Æü ¶âÍËÆü 20:17:00 JST mips GNU/Linux

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
BUFFALO:~#

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is there any simple way I can tell if my installation is roughly working???

Also, why do I have those strange characters - #88 2005ǯ 2·î 25Æü ¶âÍËÆü 20:17:00 JST

Sorry to be such a noob at this :~O

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:54 pm 

> Is there any simple way I can tell if my installation is roughly working?

Hmm. If you're greeted by that Debian message, it looks promising. You can try a 'df -h' to see your partitions - the big one should be "/dev/hda1". And you should update your installation with something like 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get upgrade' to get the current versions (you'll need some additional dependencies).

> Also, why do I have those strange characters - ##88 2005ǯ 2·î 25Æü ¶âÍËÆü 20:17:00 JST

That's because of Buffalo engineers using a japanese Charset when compiling the kernel. If you set your Terminal to "japanese (EUC)" you should see the correct signs - at least this seems to work here with Mac OS X 10.4 and the included 'Terminal.app'. But as I don't read japanese, so it could also be another Charset (although settings like "japanese (Shift-JIS)" print weird characters with my fonts). You can also see them if you look at the kernel version with 'uname -a' ... .

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:52 pm 

OK. Thanks. Happy to live with the funny characters.

I shall post the rest of my follow up in a separate thread as it relates to the filesystem and I don't want to hog the installer thread ;o)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:36 am 

I tried the debil-0.1 install script but it wont start the installation:

First i installed openlink 0.52b to get telnet access to the linkstation. I verified that i can get a network connection by ping www.google.de from my linkstation. It worked. At least i tried to start ./debil.sh as mentioned in the pdf document and got this output:

ou should rerun with a redirect of handle 2)
./debil.sh: arch: command not found
Press enter to begin installation

`//lib/modules/idtinfo.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/idtinfo.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_big5.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_bi g5.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp437.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp 437.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp775.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp 775.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp850.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp 850.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp852.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp 852.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp857.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp 857.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp860.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp 860.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp936.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp 936.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp949.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp 949.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp950.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp 950.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_euc-kr.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_eu c-kr.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_gb2312.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_gb 2312.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_iso8859-1.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_is o8859-1.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_iso8859-13.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_is o8859-13.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_iso8859-15.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_is o8859-15.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_iso8859-2.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_is o8859-2.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_iso8859-9.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_is o8859-9.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_koi8-ru.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_ko i8-ru.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_koi8-u.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_ko i8-u.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_utf8.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_ut f8.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/lib/zlib_deflate/zlib_deflate.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/lib/zlib_defl ate/zlib_deflate.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/lib/zlib_inflate/zlib_inflate.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/lib/zlib_infl ate/zlib_inflate.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/build' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/build'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/modules.dep' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/modules.dep'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/modules.generic_string' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/modules.generic_stri ng'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/modules.pcimap' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/modules.pcimap'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/modules.isapnpmap' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/modules.isapnpmap'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/modules.usbmap' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/modules.usbmap'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/modules.parportmap' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/modules.parportmap'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/modules.ieee1394map' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/modules.ieee1394map'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/modules.pnpbiosmap' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/modules.pnpbiosmap'
./debootstrap: sort: command not found
I: Retrieving debootstrap.invalid_dists_sarge_Release
I: Validating debootstrap.invalid_dists_sarge_Release
./debootstrap: cd: /mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/var/cache/apt/archives: No such file or directory
./debootstrap: cd: /mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/var/cache/apt/archives: No such file or directory

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:37 am 

it cutted my message ;)

chroot: cannot execute mount: No such file or directory
W: Failure trying to run: chroot /mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst mount -t proc proc /proc
umount: /mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/dev/pts: not found
umount: /mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/dev/shm: not found
umount: /mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/proc/bus/usb: not found
umount: /mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/proc: not found
0 returned by debootstrap
bash-2.05a#
bash-2.05a#

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:32 am 

I suppose you need to install the mipseltools first.

chroot is not included in openlink, but provided by busybox in the mipseltools.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:40 am 

Thanx for the hint but i have still the same problem.

I installed the mipsel tools, deleted the debinst directory and rerun debil.sh

# ./debil.sh
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp936.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp 936.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp949.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp 949.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp950.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp 950.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_euc-kr.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_eu c-kr.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_gb2312.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_gb 2312.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_iso8859-1.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_is o8859-1.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_iso8859-13.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_is o8859-13.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_iso8859-15.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_is o8859-15.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_iso8859-2.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_is o8859-2.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_iso8859-9.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_is o8859-9.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_koi8-ru.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_ko i8-ru.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_koi8-u.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_ko i8-u.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_utf8.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/fs/nls/nls_ut f8.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/lib' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/lib'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/lib/zlib_deflate' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/lib/zlib_defl ate'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/lib/zlib_deflate/zlib_deflate.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/lib/zlib_defl ate/zlib_deflate.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/lib/zlib_inflate' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/lib/zlib_infl ate'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/lib/zlib_inflate/zlib_inflate.o' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/kernel/lib/zlib_infl ate/zlib_inflate.o'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/build' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/build'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/pcmcia' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/pcmcia'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/modules.dep' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/modules.dep'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/modules.generic_string' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/modules.generic_stri ng'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/modules.pcimap' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/modules.pcimap'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/modules.isapnpmap' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/modules.isapnpmap'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/modules.usbmap' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/modules.usbmap'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/modules.parportmap' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/modules.parportmap'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/modules.ieee1394map' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/modules.ieee1394map'
`//lib/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/modules.pnpbiosmap' -> `/mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/lib/modules/modules/2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation/modules.pnpbiosmap'

I: Retrieving debootstrap.invalid_dists_sarge_Release
I: Validating debootstrap.invalid_dists_sarge_Release
chroot: cannot execute mount: No such file or directory
W: Failure trying to run: chroot /mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst mount -t proc proc /proc
umount: /mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/dev/pts: not found
umount: /mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/dev/shm: not found
umount: /mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/proc/bus/usb: not found
umount: /mnt/hda/share/debil-0.1/debinst/proc: not found
0 returned by debootstrap

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:58 am 

I have solved the problems. Reading the PITS will help.

I have now changed the debil.sh script according to the PITS. Is it possible to put the debil.sh in the debil package and upload it to the linkstationwiki. So other users wont get these problems?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:34 pm 

I am now at the point to unmount hda3. But i got the message the drive is busy.

root@HD-HLAND75:/# umount /dev/hda3
umount: /mnt/hda: device is busy

How do i unmount?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:52 pm 

After killing some processes it works fine.

But now the howto has a failure? or not?

Now i should swappart the partitions with this command:

/tmp/swappart_mipsel /dev/hda /dev/hda

Why swappart "/dev/hda" "/dev/hda" must this not be "/dev/hda3" "/dev/hda1" ?
How can i swapback if it didnt work?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:37 pm 

has an updated script been made yet?, i would really like convert but i dont have a pc to mount the hardrive to if i screw it up, i only have a laptop.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:35 am 

Maik, can you send me a copy of that updated script, i think im going to give this a try

cain171562 @ G mail . com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:27 pm 
Total Newbie

I'd like to move over to Debian, but I want to get it right. Taking my LS appart over xMas is not my idea of a good way to kill time! I'm a bit nervous of the process as there seems to be so many disperate pieces of information for the process, I'm concerned I might miss a vital comment/fix somewhere! My Linux is not at all good, I'm a Microsoft man at heart.

If there is an updated script doing the rounds could someone send a copy my way (linkstation@ edney.me.uk)? or has someone put the entire process (including PITS) into one step-by-step document?

Can someone clarrify whether there are any risks to installing Debian on a LS2 and just using it from within CHROOT? Can I still brick my LS using this method?

Is the CHROOT method simply a case of following the instructions in the PITS, Forum and Hacking Linkstation II.pdf, but not running the SWAPPART command at the end?

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:45 pm 
Site Admin

@mike171562: plz test if the modified debil.script works properly

@maik: plz send me the updated debil-script.... my email-address is coolmak@gmail.com

i will upload it to my webspace if it is working as supposed.... i am waiting what feedback mike gives me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:53 am 

If maik emails it to me I will try it, and also what problems he encountered while running the script

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 79 Next