Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:47 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:14 am 

Marge (and everyone else who has put helpful comments along the way), I just want to say "Genius". Today I managed to install debian on my LSII thanks to your script, and a couple of tweaks based on the comments in this forum. I now have a fully debian LSI and LSII :-D
Care to share your /etc/network/interfaces
Thanks

Anand

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:28 am 
Site Admin

# frontalot's static setup (adjust to your network settings)
#
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.16
network 192.168.1.0
netmask 255.255.255.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
gateway 192.168.1.1

Please add a blank line in the future to separate quotations from comments.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:12 am 
Total Newbie

Hi,

I need an A - B guide including all the fixes / tweaks to get Debian installed on my MIPS Linkstation ... does this exist ? The last thing I want is a Linkstation that does'nt boot / also I have a laptop so I can't mount the Linkstation HD if it all goes wrong !

Please Advise

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:43 pm 

I think someone would like to send you a working debil script with all known bugs fixed.

Mine is also working. However, you need to install the correct dhcp client before the first reboot or else the LS won't get an IP.

Finally, even with a 'perfect' debil script, it is still risky to convert to debian. Sometimes the LS will start to check partition 1, which is now over 100GB and causes a timeout which makes the LS diag LED blick 6 times. Or, if you put too much things in the boot up process, same problem will occur.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:26 pm 
Total Newbie

ok my mail is nick dot pye at gmail dot com ... this may be a silly question, but here goes. How long will it be before a stable Debian distro without the risk ??

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:55 pm 
Site Admin

here you can find an updated version of the debil-script:

http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0025690/
search for "UPDATED DEBIL.SH"....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:31 pm 

This is the step I did to make my LS2 working with debian (but I didnt swap the partition yet) (PS: I didnt open my linkstation at all)

{WARNING: everything with the > at the start, is a command at the command prompt in linux}

First I downloaded openlink for mipsel at http://buffalo.nas-central.org/downloads/openlink/mipsel-openlink-052b.zip, extracted it on my windows desktop, and I ran the file HD-HLAN FWUpdate.exe to update the firmware on the linkstation (that will give you telnet access to the linkstation, without login/password)

I open a telnet connection (with putty, putty is a free program for telnet raw and ssh connection) with the ip of the linkstation (you can use the netbios name too).

I set the /etc/resolv.conf with my dns name server
>vi /etc/resolv.conf
(PS: if you dont know how vi work, search for VI editor on google, but an abbreviation, do edit press I or Insert, to get out of the Insert mode, press esc, and press :wq to save (:wq should appear at the bottom of the document, otherwise press esc again and press :wq), If you f**k up the document, and you dont want to save the document, write :q! instead of :wq.

this is an example of my resolv.conf

nameserver 198.164.30.2
nameserver 198.164.4.2

After that I add my gateway cause I'm using a router
>route add default gw 192.168.0.254
192.168.0.254 is the ip of my router

Now I'm able to use wget with hostname.

I created a folder name it in /mnt/hda
>mkdir /mnt/hda/it

I went in that folder
>cd /mnt/hda/it

I downloaded the bootstrap
>wget http://buffalo.nas-central.org/downloads/snapshots/debootstrap_mipsel-0.2.45.tgz

Extracted it
>tar -zxvf debootstrap_mipsel-0.2.45.tgz

I downloaded the debil package
>wget http://www.geishuettner.de/docs/Linkstation/debil-0.1.tgz

Extracted it
>tar -zxvf debil-0.1.tgz

went to the folder
>cd debil-0.1

I edited the debil-0.1.sh and I change the line for the debian mirror to
DebianMirror="ftp://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/distributions/debian"
cause I had problem connecting with http.us.debian.org.

execute that
>export DEBOOTSTRAP_DIR=/mnt/hda/it/usr/lib/debootstrap
>export TERM=linux
>export PATH=$PATH:./:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/mnt/hda/it/usr/sbin:/mnt/hda/it/debil-0.1/mipsel/bins :/mnt/hda/it/debil-0.1/mipsel/usr/sbin

Why running that when it already in debil.sh ? well on my LS2, after debil.sh ran, I did echo $DEBOOTSTRAP_DIR and it didnt had anything in it, so its better to run those export before the debil.sh

I had problem with the libbfd-2.15.so so I did the same thing that the PIT031 said
>cd /usr/lib
>ln -s libbfd-2.14.so libbfd-2.15.so
>cd /mnt/hda/it/debil-0.1/

and finally I run the .sh
>./debil.sh

Everything worked like it should, now I need to do the swap, but its kind of scary cause people at this company use the linkstation for their backup.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:35 pm 
Site Admin

nice sum-up.

Everything worked like it should, now I need to do the swap, but its kind of scary cause people at this company use the linkstation for their backup.

backup everything on hda3 before doing anything.

there should be no files or partitions damaged....but making backups does not harm anyone....

so....before moving on -> backup everything.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:29 pm 

Last time I swap the hda1 with hda3 (maybe 3 month ago) the linkstation hang on the boot because of that big partition, I tried some stuff I found here and on the pit, but I never was able to boot in debian only, that why it scare me to swap the hda1 with hda3.

If someone can post his step for the swap, it could help me, or other people with the same problem.

PS: I just want to tell everyone who use the linkstation, if the linkstation is stand up (like a tower) and it fall on the side, you can broke the hd inside (Mine fall the first time 2 week ago, and broke the hd,I had to replace the hd in it). So now I put the linkstation stand on the side. (Sorry my english is not 100 %, but I'm sure you can understand what I said, or close to)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:42 pm 

Hi toHands,

What I did on my LS2, I repartitioned the whole lot.. I've 4 partitions right now. Using Debian's fdisk, I deleted /dev/hda3 and splitting it into two partitions, a 2.5GB paritition for Debian and the rest for sharing.

/dev/hda1 - Main partition
/dev/hda2 - Swap
/dev/hda3 - Debian parition mounted as /mnt/deb
/dev/hda4 - Mounted as /mnt/hda

OpenLink has no /dev/hda4 device node, so I need to create the node myself ..
$ mknod /dev/hda4 b 3 4

I created a new /mnt/deb to mount /dev/hda3. And I need to change /etc/fstab to mount /dev/hda3 to /mnt/deb and /dev/hda4 to /mnt/hda.

[/etc/fstab]
/dev/hda3 /mnt/deb ext3 defaults,noatime 0 0
/dev/hda4 /mnt/hda ext3 defaults,noatime 0 0

Installed Debian Stable (I have a lot of problem with Testing distribution) into /mnt/deb and do the partition swap.

Everything seems to be normal now.. well, after a lot of playing around and few Debian re-installations.. finally I managed to have a stable setup and have Samba PDC running.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:26 pm 
Total Newbie

wiraone wrote:
What I did on my LS2, I repartitioned the whole lot.. I've 4 partitions right now. Using Debian's fdisk, I deleted /dev/hda3 and splitting it into two partitions, a 2.5GB paritition for Debian and the rest for sharing.

Thanks for this! I suspect that other people were having problems with boot times because hda3 was too large. I partitioned mine this way and it definitely seems like the way to go. I also like the idea of having a separate data volume so I can make backup copies of the OS partition to it.

Update: I can't get any of the apt repos to work at the moment. I'm getting errors about read-edid and a version conflict on libtasn1-3-bin and I've tried four different repos so far.

Update2: I still get the read-edid error but it is non-fatal. The big problem is that the debian installer defaults to the 'testing' version of sarge if you select a repo from the list. When I manually edited the sources.list and was careful to use 'stable' then all is well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:10 am 
Site Admin

Working on freelink for the MIPS at present. Will update when this finally becomes available.