I've just done all this, so I thought I'd share my experience so that others may make different mistakes than mine. I've a MIPS LSII.
First of all, I was unable to compile netatalk using openlink. I installed Berkeley fine, but netatalk gave me a stat() argument error. I did not investigate further. I then tried to go the ipkg route, but that caused me to bring out the screwdriver and call in some favors from a friend to let me use his desktop to recover. (i've only laptops here).
Also, I'm not comfortable with the 5 min. lock-out and booting from the big hda3 partition. I'm afraid that after a power outage or someone unplugging the machine, then I'd be locked out. Has anyone suffered this? How do you recover? (does it go into EM mode so that the installer will work, or do you have to find the screwdriver again?)
However, I've gotten an acceptable alternative, albeit not the most clean or efficient one. I've some other thoughts as well, but I'm happy for now. I tried compiling parted, but that failed as well, or at least the libraries did.
Mike171562, I've the script with the changes. I'm not sure it's Known To Work, but it worked for me. email me (mickey -at- srtdata.com) if interested. But have a computer and copy of knoppix handy!
Maik, did you get an answer to why swappart hda hda and not hda1 hda3? I was wondering that as well.
To start with, neither atalk nor smb worked well out of the box. The problems:
1) on the mac, I had the usual problems with atalk long filenames and large files, and smb slowness.
2) on the PC, I could not copy over files due to some too long filename, although I'm sure the command did not exceed 128 chars.
So, something had to happen. Here are the steps I'd recommend, while they're fresh in my head:
1) install openlink 0.52b
2) install the mipstools
3) download the script, and make sure to enter all the changes in PITS.
4) make sure you ahve a static IP to begin with, or at least make sure you use a static at some point. I don't like dhcp for servers anyway.
5) run the script. This takes a while
when you've done this, you should be able to run the chroot command or run the debil script and chroot that way. Once I was able to do this, I did not proceed much further with the excellent directions provided by marge.
Also, note that at some points the debil script stopped or was cancelled by me. If it was not finished, then I had to erase debinst/ and start over. (happily, I was not too deep into it.)
I now use debian within chroot only. I've modified the init.d scripts in openlink so that they do not start any services that I'll start in debian, and I've made a script in debian to start the services. I call chroot with that script rather than /bin/bash. I've also configured a second interface (eth0:1) which starts up only when debian starts (note that in debian for some reason 'network start' says that eth0:1 is already configured, although it is not. 'network restart' works better.
Another option, if you know that debian boots up fine, may be to call swappart hda3 hda1 from the debian startup scripts, and cancel it in the shutdown scripts. The idea is that, when debian starts, it swaps the partitions so that the small partition is the startup partition. this way if the thing crashes or is not shut down properly, it will reboot on the small/openlink partition. If, however, it shuts down correctly, it swappart's again so that it will boot again in the debian partition. But I personally feel that this is probably more chancy and sloppy than just running the servers from the chroot environment.
I have not ran any benchmarks to see what the difference is between running natively vs. chroot. I saw a noticeable performance decrease with debian/chroot/netatalk vs. openlink/atalk, about 4 minutes slower for a 500MB file, but this is based on the machine's estimate. Also, to me, although noticeable it is not significant.
I hope this helps someone, somewhere. Much thanks to everyone who's worked on this for their efforts!