Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:13 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Installing SATA on LS2
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:20 am 

Hi all,

The stock 250GB almost packing up on my LS2 and thinking of getting a SATA drive as replacement. Anybody has tried this?

From ebay, the following might fit into the enclosure:

Is there any limit on the capacity of the hard disk? The max I could find for IDE HD is 500GB and it cost double the SATA 500GB.. anybody has done this, appreciate your input.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:38 am 

Ordered one from ebay .. will report back ..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:42 am 

You will need to modify the adapter yourselves.
I didn't find any adapter which could fit in my Linkstation directly.

I finally used the adapter like this:

I replaced the wires because the original one is too short. This is a tough job since it will need to replace every wire on the adapter.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:48 pm 

I received my adapter today .. while trying to fit it into the enclosure with SATA drive, I broke two wires from the ribbon cable and arghh.. getting ICRC error when there is a lot of things going on with the HD. I guess I need to replace the ribbon cable now..

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:21 pm 
Site Admin

I can't remember for sure where I saw it, but IIRC there was a thread somewhere in the forum that mentioned replacement of this particular kind of ribbon cable. It may have been a special order, as well.

If I had a dead board, I'd be happy to send it to you so you could scavenge the cable off of it, if practical... but unfortunately that is not the case.

EDIT:

this is all I've seen :http://forum.buffalo.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4400&p=40894&hilit=ribbon#p40894

KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:33 pm 

I am in the process of doing the same thing. I bought 2 Samsung 1.5 TB sata drives from newegg for 200 dollars ($100 each). I also bought the adapter.

When it arrived it had the female end as shown above. I found a male connector that could clamp directly to the cable but the board probably won't fit. My idea is to extend the cable to the opening between the motherboard and the drive metal and snake the sata cable back to the drive. I thinik there is more than enough room for this.

While we are on the topic of obsolescence, I wanted to poll users about the above problem.

I like the powerpc options available and have gotten somewhat familiar with the idiosyncrasies of the Kurobox HG. It's well supported with a Debian distro.

My question is, if the performance of this adapter is not good enough, what ugrade path should I pursue? Is sticking with the powerpc better than moving to the kuro pro?

Paul

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:34 pm 
Site Admin

in terms of performance, the kuroHG will give you 13MB/sec write for network transfer, tops
the kuropro will give you maybe 25MB/sec or around there... using the newest vanilla kernels

I don't know what your price is, but if you pick up an LS-HG on eBay, you can essentially convert it to a KuroHG by putting uboot on it.

The KuroPro has a nice 256MB of NAND flash to work with, in addition to the 256kb NOR ROM where its uboot is stored. The uboot it comes with is not netconsole-enabled. I patch the source for its uboot to get netconsole, and I like it quite a lot.

Something about the HG's has always made me feel like they were the "sweet spot" of all the LS/Kuros so far. Maybe it was that they ahve a real fpu in them.

I'm not sure what the newer Kirkwood-based items from Buffalo on the horizon might be like... or what is out there currently at that upper/newer end.

KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:05 pm 

Thanks for the quick response.

I often find myself fighting the urge to get the get Cadillac when the Volkswagen will do (boy is that a dated metaphor!) I remember when the HG first came out and there was a lot of discussion about Buffalo being interested in hearing from the hoi paloi. It was easy to suggest bigger processors and more memory and so on. But at the end of the day, I find that I get by pretty well with the speed of the Kuro HG. Although I am impressed with the gains I've seen from the configuration changes. I remember well under 10 Mb/s (more like 7) from my HG.

I digress. It comes down to what I need. My current project is to make my server look like a time machine to the mac at home. The bandwidth is okay for the xbmc xbox but if I bump up to any blue ray stuff I might need a higher octane model.

At the end of the day, the real challenge that I enjoy is getting it right at the lowest power consumption. Thanks again.

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:23 am 

davy_gravy wrote:
I can't remember for sure where I saw it, but IIRC there was a thread somewhere in the forum that mentioned replacement of this particular kind of ribbon cable. It may have been a special order, as well.

If I had a dead board, I'd be happy to send it to you so you could scavenge the cable off of it, if practical... but unfortunately that is not the case.

It is okay davy, I'm moving my NAS to an old Dell GX60 for now until I've time to replace the damaged ribbon cable. It was tight fit and somehow, while pushing down the HD+adapter, the cable was bend too much and the two wires snapped of it. Since it is broken, most probably I'll have rewire the IDE interface probably using something flexible w/o the header. For now, it will not be my priority .. just need to get the HD back on the network will be my priority now :) Time to order an IDE to USB interface off ebay now .. :)

BTW, I did the same as zlyzwy .. trimmed the SATA->IDE interface till it bare header etc.. just that .. I'm not careful enough with putting everything back in..