three pins/wires are needed, 2 for current, one for sensing/control...
but, before you replace it, consider just silencing the one that is in it now...
I did that by
- disassemble & remove fan
- carefully lift/peel/remove the small green sticker/seal on the one side of the center of the fan
- lubricate it with a bit of light-duty grease - not too much ... don't use teflon lubricant or WD-40
- test if it is quieter (without reassembling)
- if good, wipe excess off the area where the green sticker goes back on, & replace the sticker
- put back together & enjoy silence...
I did this with two of my older boxes, and it worked great. In fact, they are quieter than my other box that has a supposedly better Silenx replacement in it.
ymmv ... good luck
also, see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15186&p=113171&hilit=fan+noise#p113171
LS1 (foonas, nfs, Tranmission
print server, Firefly
for my Roku
Various LS-Pros v1,v2 (unbricked w/ serial & jtag)
KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org
lately... => wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'