Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:29 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:53 pm 
Total Newbie

Hi,
I really need your help with something: I have formatted my Linkstation with the formatting function in the linkstation webinterface. However I forgot to back up one important folder. :cry:

I have disassembled the linkstation and connected it to my PC via USB adapter. I tried multiple recovery programs under Windows XP (DiskInternals Linux Recovery, R-Linux etc.). I ran a scan and the tools found thousands of lost files after hours of scaning. I also managed to restore many files. The problem is that it restored all the files into folders by file type (JPG, DOC, TXT etc.) without my original folder structures and it also named the files by running numbers (e.g. 32325235.jpg, 2215145.txt, etc.). Now I have thousands of files which I have no idea which are which. On top many of them I cannot open anymore.

I also booted with Ubuntu live CD and recovery CD and ran testdisk which found the partitions but I did not get anywhere beyond that.

Therefore is there any way to recover the data correctly (with names and folder structures) at all, no matter if Linux or Windows software?

I would be very thankful for any advice.

Hannes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:26 pm 
Site Admin

to have access to it in linux, you'll need to use the fix-ext2-magic tool. That should/may make it more readable to a linux box.

There may also be some way to restore the files (undelete) on an ext3 partition, but I've never wandered into that type of situation, so I can't tell you for sure...

KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:38 pm 
Total Newbie

davy_gravy wrote:
to have access to it in linux, you'll need to use the fix-ext2-magic tool. That should/may make it more readable to a linux box.

I read about that fix-ext2-magic tool. However I can mount the disk in linux without that tool without problems and I see the current partitions. Besides it is ext3. I understood that you only need the fix-ext2-magic tool when Linux cannot mount the drive. Or am I missing something?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:44 pm 
Site Admin

well, maybe it is just hda1 that needs the block unmangled with that tool....

If you can see mount that partition and see files on it, then you are making some progress...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:02 pm 
Total Newbie

davy_gravy wrote:
well, maybe it is just hda1 that needs the block unmangled with that tool....

If you can see mount that partition and see files on it, then you are making some progress...

What do you mean by HDA1? Is that the older Linksation with PPC? Well the problem is that I can mount but I only see the files from the new partition after I formatted. The files I want back (before the formatting) are not there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:18 pm 
Site Admin

on the white linkstations, LS1, LS2 & LSHG, hda1 is the first partition on the hdd, holding the OS. hda3 is the 3rd partition, holding the data share(s).

I'm not sure how to undelete/resurrect files from a partition that has been formatted.

Maybe someone else knows... ?

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:07 pm 

You're looking at a tough situation. From what you say you've already done, you may have already overwritten some of the old data when you did the recovery and put some files back onto the drive.

I'm not sure how the format function in the webinterface runs, but it likely just overwrote the main inodes and journal files of the disk, basically the index of the entire drive. The data is probably still on the drive, but it's floating out there without any references and no way to directly access it.

The proper way to do this is to image the old drive onto other storage, and store that without fear of harming the old data. In the real world, sometimes you don't have that much space, but definitely try not to put the recovered data back onto the drive because you'll end up overwriting stuff that you might have otherwise recovered.

You can start by learning how to use Sleuth Kit at http://www.sleuthkit.org/. Sleuth Kit will go through the drive and pull out any data segments and organize them. In some cases it can even reconstruct the directory structure. The Autopsy Forensic Browser will make it easier for you to search and organize what you find. Both tools together can help you recover some data.

There are a lot of variables with this, including the biggest one that files can be fragmented across the file system, and it's hard to put them together contiguously.

You will definitely recover some information, hopefully what you need. The tools also help you grep through the information, so if you remember the filenames, words or phrases in the data you want to find, it will definitely help.

Good luck, I've done this several times and it's not fun :).

- Danish

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:27 pm 
Total Newbie

Thanks for all the answers.

One more question though: The fix-ext2-magic tool was mentioned. As I can see only the first partition is shifted and needs to be corrected by the fix-ext2-magic. The second (swap) and the 3rd (all data) is normal and can be accessed. That why I did not bother to run the fix-ext2-magic tool at all.

When I try to recover data (obviously on partition 3) does it make any difference if the 1st partition is accessible or not? In other words could it be the reason that all files I recovered lost their folder structure and names be due to the fist partition being not readable?

Please help! Thanks a lot!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:34 pm 
Site Admin

hansolo77 wrote:
Thanks for all the answers.

One more question though: The fix-ext2-magic tool was mentioned. As I can see only the first partition is shifted and needs to be corrected by the fix-ext2-magic. The second (swap) and the 3rd (all data) is normal and can be accessed. That why I did not bother to run the fix-ext2-magic tool at all.

1. When I try to recover data (obviously on partition 3) does it make any difference if the 1st partition is accessible or not? In other words could it be the reason that all files I recovered lost their folder structure and names be due to the fist partition being not readable?

Please help! Thanks a lot!

1. No it shouldn't make any difference. The partitions are independent.

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!