Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:22 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:18 am 

Hi guys,

My LS 2(120G) has been working well for almost 2 years. I installed a FTP(Proftpd), HTTP(Apache), Mysql and a Postfix MTA inside the box. As you can see, All these services will require more and more disk space, and the situration is only less than 10% space available now. I think it's time to replace a new disk... I have moded a IDE to SATA adapter for this. So it should be no problem using a 500G sata disk. With the new disk replaced, it's a good chance to reinstall the system since it's a bit old. I read the posts here and I still feel confused.
My questions are:
1) if I want to use Linux Kernel 2.6.22, the best way is to install the U-Bootloader? Where could I find the latest guide for this? I found two:
http://www.linuxnotincluded.org.uk/ or
http://downloads.buffalo.nas-central.or ... EUBOOT.TXT

2) if I used U-Bootloader, could I upgrade Debian to Lenny totally? Because a lot of new modules are based on Lenny.

To be honest, I am not sure if it's safe to do the upgrading this time. As far as I know, the U-Bootloader is not to replace the old 2.4 Kernel on board chip :?: It's somehow like a second load after the first booting?

Thanks for all replys in advance!

zlyzwy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:05 pm 
Site Admin

Link #2 that you show will work.

I have 3 LS2's and have uboot on all of them. (one is at work office, one home office, one in workshop)

For 2.6.x, you have 2 choices:
- LNI's original 2.6.22.19
- a recent 2.6.30.4 from shihsung's work

Also you can install or use from hdd, foonas-em (see foonas.org, go to foonas-em link, articles at bottom of page)

I am currently running 2.6.30.4 on 2 of the three, and it works quite well. I can't (personally) see any reason to stay w/ 2.4. Flashing uboot does have some minor risk, but all three flashes went flawlessly for me.

The link to read about 2.6.30.4 is viewtopic.php?f=12&t=20753&start=15

Read through & if interested, ask questions. LNI and shihsung both did excellent work, and shihsung is continuing to make some tweaks even now.

My (current) personal recommendation to anyone who is familiar w/ Linux and Debian (in particular) is to install LNI's original uboot and the Lenny image that I rolled, along with the kernel upgraded to the shihsung 2.6.30.4v6.
http://downloads.buffalo.nas-central.or ... 4v6.tar.gz
http://downloads.buffalo.nas-central.or ... -v1.tar.gz

shihsung is working on a new uboot as well (which will have a wider feature set when finished), but I think this is still in testing.

If you install shihsung's kernel and run it, make sure you read the notes about the rtc switchover solutions... it took a while to figure out why some of us were having rtc problems but we figured it out. It turned out not to be problem w/ either kernel, but rather an incompatibility between the format of data/access of the two 2.6 kernels (LNI's 2.6.22.x & shihsungs 2.6.30.x).

KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:47 pm 

davy_gravy, thanks for sharing these experience! Before I starting doing this, I list the procedure as followed:

- Replace the hard driver
- Flash the freelink to LS so that I can get the full access
- Flash LNI's original 2.6.22.19 (http://downloads.buffalo.nas-central.or ... EUBOOT.TXT)
However there are still something I don't quite understand
Step 5:
Quote:
The netconsole is the default console even if the serial port is installed and the jumper is "on"

This netconsole is used to watch U-Boot prompt later? But how to start the netconsole with the boot address of the LinkStation?

Step 7:
Quote:
Wait for the U-Boot prompt and type 's' to stop the boot process

I guess after I excute the ./u-boot-load.sh. The U-Boot is loading to RAM and when should I stop this? How long do I have ?

Step 9:
Quote:
To use vmlinux-2.6.22.gz, rename /boot/vmlinuz to something else and create a symbolic link:

I shoud use the Lenny image you rolled (lsmipsel-lenny-v1.tar.gz )?

I didn't plan to upgrade the latest 2.6.30 kernel since it will have some compatibility problems as I see. Moreover my desktop is still using 2.6.22 kernel. So I think the 2.6.22 kernel is good enough to me! Can this Lenny image running without 2.6.30?

I just want to make sure every steps before I did it.

Thanks again for your help!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:23 pm 
Site Admin

zlyzwy wrote:
davy_gravy, thanks for sharing these experience! Before I starting doing this, I list the procedure as followed:
0. ???
A. - Replace the hard driver
B. - Flash the freelink to LS so that I can get the full access
C. - Flash LNI's original 2.6.22.19 (http://downloads.buffalo.nas-central.or ... EUBOOT.TXT)
D. However there are still something I don't quite understand
Step 5:
Quote:
The netconsole is the default console even if the serial port is installed and the jumper is "on"

This netconsole is used to watch U-Boot prompt later? But how to start the netconsole with the boot address of the LinkStation?
E.
Step 7:
Quote:
Wait for the U-Boot prompt and type 's' to stop the boot process

I guess after I excute the ./u-boot-load.sh. The U-Boot is loading to RAM and when should I stop this? How long do I have ?

F.
Step 9:
Quote:
To use vmlinux-2.6.22.gz, rename /boot/vmlinuz to something else and create a symbolic link:

I shoud use the Lenny image you rolled (lsmipsel-lenny-v1.tar.gz )?

G.
I didn't plan to upgrade the latest 2.6.30 kernel since it will have some compatibility problems as I see. Moreover my desktop is still using 2.6.22 kernel. So I think the 2.6.22 kernel is good enough to me! Can this Lenny image running without 2.6.30?

I just want to make sure every steps before I did it.

Thanks again for your help!

0. Before you do anything, on your Desktop computer/Linux box set up a tftp server and test it. Also install the nc netcat program there as well.

A, B and C. Yes. :)

D. I use this command with my workstation at 192.168.11.149 and my LS @ 192.168.11.150. Of course, the router has a similar network address as would make sense.
Code:
nc -u -p 6666 -v 192.168.11.150 6666
You may want to adjust your network to match these values. Or you can modify the commands w/ different ip addresses, as well.
You probably won't want to put the jumper on your LS2 - that is for serial-console access, not netconsole access.

E. Yes, I can't remember how long it takes. When you try it you will see.

F & G. Yes, use that Lenny image. I have tested it now for a week and it works well. Also, there are not compatibility problems w/ the kernel, we just discovered that there are some steps that have to be done to move the rtc to the new format. I would suggest the following:

- tftp boot into foonas-em. http://foonas.org/index.php/Foonas-em:TFTPBoot-lsmipsel has directions. Then log in:
Code:
davygravy@DuoBuntu:~$ telnet 192.168.11.162
Trying 192.168.11.162...
Connected to 192.168.11.162.
Escape character is '^]'.

______ _____ _____ __   __  _____  ______
  |   ___|     |     |   \|  |/  _  \|   ___|
 _|   ___|  -  |  -  |       |   _   |\   \
| |__|   |_____|_____|__|\___|__| |__|_\   \
|___________________________________________|

foonas-em for lsmipsel - http://foonas.org

lsmipsel login: root
Password: hydr0g3n

- while booted in foonas-em, use fdisk to repartition your hard drive w/ a larger hda1 (like maybe 3 GB), the normal swap partition, and the rest as a very large hd3. Don't forget to run mkswap, swapon, and mkfs.ext3 on the appropriate partitions

- mount hda1 to /mnt , cd to /mnt (it should only have lost+found there now)

- move to /mnt , download the latest lenny tarball and untar it, clean out the old modules & the depmod stuff
Code:
cd /mnt
wget http://downloads.buffalo.nas-central.org/Users/davy_gravy/lsmipsel%20images/lsmipsel-lenny-v1.tar.gz
tar zxvf lsmipsel-lenny-v1.tar.gz
rm -r /mnt/lib/modules/2.6.30.4/*

, download the newest kernelpackage (v11 right now), and untar it
Code:
wget http://downloads.buffalo.nas-central.org/Users/davy_gravy/kernelpackages/lsmipsel_kernel-mod_packages/linux-lsmipsel-2.6.30.4-v11.tar.gz
tar zxvf linux-lsmipsel-2.6.30.4-v11.tar.gz

- use vi in foonas-em to edit your network stuff:
Code:
vi /mnt/etc/network/interfaces

Code:
vi /mnt/etc/resolv.conf

- also, while at /mnt, replace the /sbin/hwclock binary to help fix the rtc format incompatibility problem
Code:
cd /mnt/sbin/ 
wget http://downloads.buffalo.nas-central.org/Users/davy_gravy/hwclock

and then make it executable
Code:
chmod +x hwclock

Then umount the hdd and stop at the uboot prompt:
Code:
cd /
umount /dev/hda1
reboot

Press s & enter at uboot prompt:
Code:
-Boot 1.1.4 LiSt V2 (mips) 1.0.1 (Sep 20 2007 - 00:42:23)
stdin :   nc
stdout:   nc
stderr:   nc
IDE:    Bus 0: OK Bus 1: OK
  Device 0: Model: Maxtor 5T020H2 Firm: TAH71DP0 Ser#: 2TRH6MCG
            Type: Hard Disk
            Capacity: 19541.8 MB = 19.0 GB (40021632 x 512)
Boot in 09 seconds ('s' to stop)...s
Boot in 08 seconds ('s' to stop)...
=>

Fix your uboot env vars, save them and boot:
Code:
set bootargs 'setenv bootargs netconsole=6666@192.168.11.150/,@192.168.11.149/ root=/dev/sda1 rw'
set hdfile 'boot/vmlinuz'
save
boot

The box will reboot, and after some chatter of the hdd, it should come up on your network. Log in w/ root password "lsmipsel".
Code:
davygravy@DuoBuntu:~$ ssh root@192.168.11.150
root@192.168.11.150's password:
Linux lsmipsel 2.6.30.4 #1 Mon Aug 17 02:03:40 CDT 2009 mips

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Wed Dec 31 18:30:54 1969 from 192.168.11.149
lsmipsel:~# date
Wed Dec 31 18:02:03 CST 1969

Run depmod to get full access to your modules:
Code:
cd /lib/modules/2.6.30.4
depmod -a

Get your debian package manager up & running & put on ntpd so your system time is set automatically.

Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install ntp

check your date & time
Code:
date

(I live in the US Central Time zone, you may want to adjust the tz info to your location).

*** Fix the rtc.
Delete the old rtc node in /dev and replace it w/ the new one (w/ proper major & minor)
Code:
rm -f /dev/rtc*
mknod /dev/rtc c 254 0 

You will run the extra hwclock binary that you downloaded, perhaps three times, to get it to properly set the hwclock. You will know that it is properly set when it returns quickly w/ no error.
Code:
cd /
./hwclock -w
./hwclock -w
./hwclock -w

Once this special hwclock binary has run and set the time correctly, you should be able to use the regular hwclock binary without any problem.

If there are any problems, read this viewtopic.php?f=12&t=20753&p=132131&hilit=+incompatibility+garbled+switched#p132131 , #6 on the list, and follow the fixes A, B and C shown on it. (you'll probably only have to do step B out of these three fixes)

If the Link/Act LED is solid green, but the Power LED continues to pulse and you hear the hdd chattering, then it is running fsck on the hdd's partition. Simply go have a break, drink a beer, take a walk, whatever and it should be done by the time you get back... If it is a larger hdd, then it may take longer.

The 2.6.30.4 is absolutely the best supported/most-full-featured kernel that the LS2 has ever had. This kernel + Lenny + UBoot = a fully open system, just as good as what we have for the LS1 and LSHG.

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:33 am 

haha! That's great! :up:

I am going to try it this weekend! :p

Thanks so much ~~~

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:50 am 
Site Admin

Probably by this weekend we will have a shorter, faster sequence of steps for installing it ...

Follow the other thread that shihsung started about uboot, LS2 and LInux 2.6.30.4 ...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:21 am 

Really? It looks like I should be waiting for the new U-Boot. ;) It's not urgent to me~~~
Actully I running this LS2 as a alumni forum..

Anyway, that'll be very helpful thank you very much.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:29 am 
Site Admin

No, use LNI's uboot for now. I have used it for quite a while and it works well.

I put up an install guide for Lenny on the lsmipsel :

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=20753&p=132251#p132251

shihsung's kernel is inside it, and Bauldrick & I have been testing it for a while now... seems to work very well.

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:03 am 

I replaceed the driver last weekend,it seems no problem. But I met a strange trouble here.
I was trying to flash the openlink to ls then I could get the full access to the box.
I tried many times, but it always got failed when 'settings are being restored'.
but even I got failed here,but i can still ping ls and login in with ssh.
I do the upgrading step by step as the Wiki write, but it alsways the same problem.
is there any ideas about this?
thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:39 am 
Site Admin

I think it is a timeout problem ... I'm not sure what the solution is, but I think there was a mention of it once in one of the forums... maybe installing FreeLink on your new hdd would be better, for whatever reason?

Have you tried the FreeLink (Debian) installer on it instead of the OpenLInk?

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:16 am 

Yes, I agree. Actually if I flash the freelink, it will be no pb, but I only tried once and it successful. I was always trying openlink....
I saw the one artice in Wiki(http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Upgrade_(or_replace)_the_existing_LinkStation_hard_drive) which said when you flash th openlink to a new hard driver, you will need to flash twice since it will have the timeout issue, but when the flashing got failed at last moment, I coun't find LS with flash program, how could I flash it again...

In my view, when the Buffalo flash program trying to rewrite the content in a new driver, the last step is to check the disk surface to make sure it has a good condition. It will take a longer time than before since I changed the hard driver with a large one. So the timeout issue happend there.

I didn't install the U-Boot with freelink yet. I am going to do during this week.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:38 am 
Site Admin

maybe there is a file in the openlink & freelink installers, with an option for TIMEOUT= ?

not sure there is, but just a thought...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:21 pm 

There is a new problem with netcat..
When I tried to set the netcat to read the U-Boot information, I can't see any starting information here.

"192.168.1.150: inverse host lookup failed: h_errno 11004: NO_DATA
(UNKNOWN) [192.168.1.150] 6666 (?) open"

There is no startup information in netcat. LS is just rebooting as usual.

How do I handle the netcat whent LS is rebooting? I should start nc first or excute ./u-boot-load.sh?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:22 pm 

zlyzwy wrote:
There is a new problem with netcat..
When I tried to set the netcat to read the U-Boot information, I can't see any starting information here.

"192.168.1.150: inverse host lookup failed: h_errno 11004: NO_DATA
(UNKNOWN) [192.168.1.150] 6666 (?) open"

There is no startup information in netcat. LS is just rebooting as usual.

How do I handle the netcat whent LS is rebooting? I should start nc first or excute ./u-boot-load.sh?

Thanks!

I know where is wrong.. I can't change the IP address to 192.168.1.150. if I used original 192.168.11.150. I can see the startup information from netcat.

But I still didn't know where to input "run upgrade"?

Code:
Boot in 09 seconds ('s' to stop)...[color=#800000]srun upgrade[/color]
Boot in 01 seconds ('s' to stop)...
Loading 0:1:boot/vmlinuz

3266388 bytes read
## Booting image at 82000000 ...
Found gzip-ed image at 0x82000000. Uncompressing ...done
Loading .text @ 0x80100000 (1580848 bytes)
Loading .fixup @ 0x80281f30 (4532 bytes)
Loading .kstrtab @ 0x802830e4 (31568 bytes)
Loading __ex_table @ 0x8028ac40 (5512 bytes)
Loading __ksymtab @ 0x8028c1c8 (9408 bytes)
Loading .data.init_task @ 0x80290000 (8192 bytes)
Loading .text.init @ 0x80292000 (70340 bytes)
Loading .data.init @ 0x802a32c4 (4608 bytes)
Loading .setup.init @ 0x802a44d0 (232 bytes)
Loading .initcall.init @ 0x802a45b8 (220 bytes)
Loading .data.cacheline_aligned @ 0x802a5000 (11456 bytes)
Loading .reginfo @ 0x802a7cc0 (24 bytes)
Loading .data @ 0x802a8000 (2494464 bytes)
Clearing .bss @ 0x80509000 (150592 bytes)

Starting kernel @ 0x80292040...

After I type "s" to stop the startup, I just type "run upgrade"? it doesn't work....
where should I type the "run upgrade" and after all I just need to reboot the LS? then it should be start with U-boot?

Thanks for your patient!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:12 pm 
Betatester

zlyzwy wrote:
srun upgrade

Looks like you haven't hit <ENTER> after pressing the 's' button ;)